Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 10:57 AM

85 posts, read 249,497 times

Advertisements

Hello all..

So I am moving from a place that has an arena, and also a outdoor venue ran by Live Nation. Both facilities have major shows all the time. Our arena just had WWE wrestling, ZZ Top, American Idol Tour, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Blue Man Group, Monster Truck Show, etc. Major acts. Our outdoor venue just had Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Elton John, Journey, etc. Again, major acts.

My wife and I love going to see live shows and concerts. Upon searching, I found the Charleston Civic Center - yet based on their website, they don't have major acts, so it's not what I was expecting, nor looking for.

Question is, for those of you who love seeing major live events, both at arenas, and outdoor venues - where is the nearest one of each from Charleston?

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 11:09 AM

85 posts, read 249,497 times
Based on my findings, it seems as if Charlotte is the nearest from Charleston to catch major acts. I hope that isn't the case.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:09 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,020,729 times
I'd venture a guess and say Columbia.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:15 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,960,504 times
Cheryl Crow, John Melloncamp, Miranda Lambert, Josh Groben, Darius Rucker, Loretta Lynn, etc. Charleston.

Not spectacular, but in town.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:16 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,333,322 times
Greenville at the BiLo Center, Charlotte and we get some good acts at the local Colliseum....

Old 08-19-2011, 08:10 PM

431 posts, read 929,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyguy4u View Post
Based on my findings, it seems as if Charlotte is the nearest from Charleston to catch major acts. I hope that isn't the case.
Thats pretty much the case. I go up to Charlotte around once a month for Events/Concerts/ ETC. It's a great town. The primary venue " Time Warner Cable Arena" is pretty new and right in the heart of downtown. As far as outside Venues Charlotte has the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre. They have several other Venues as well.

Not to say Charleston doesn't get stuff from time to time. But for the most part your going to have to drive somewhere. The Charleston Metro is pretty small, nor is it really isolated. "Charlotte, Atlanta, Jacksonville are all a few hours away" So it doesn't really warrant a lot of acts coming here.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:43 PM

255 posts, read 610,540 times

Brian Culbertson - I Wanna Know - Budapest - YouTube

I know that in Durham on March 21, 2012 Brian Culbertson, my favorite musician, will be at the The Carolina Theatre. I wish he does make a trip on down to Charleston or Columbia, though.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:10 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,728 times
My suggestion to the OP, get on the PAC's email list. The N. Charleston Coliseum and Performing Arts Center has tons of shows. Granted it will probably never be able to attract some of the big name shows you get in NYC, Dallas, or Chicago simply because the arena is not as large. To my knowledge there is no outdoor venue in the CHS area like Live Nation is using these days.

BTW, Prince did a shows in Columbia and Charleston in March. If he comes back, I'd just at the chance (well, maybe not "jump" as the arena at Columbia is a pretty scary setup. I had to stay seated the entire time for fear of going over the rail...10 rows down).

OP~ if you googled "Charleston Civic Center" you might have pulled up Charleston, W. VIRGINIA's page. A quick peruse over there and, yup, no shows.

Go to the N. Charleston PAC's site:
North Charleston Coliseum & Performing Arts Center :: Home

Old 08-20-2011, 03:31 PM

846 posts, read 1,798,571 times
Yeah. Pretty much any country music act comes through Charleston at least once every two or three years at the Coliseum. They fill the Coliseum, 12-13,000 seats for most of these.

Three years ago, Bruce Springsteen came to the Coliseum. That was probably the biggest concert the Coliseum has had recently. There were limos lined up as far as the eye could see. Columbia has some bigger concerts, and Charlotte is the closest for any outdoor concerts.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:00 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
um I would say Prince's concert was pretty big stuff.......Depends on your music style. I know kids in their early 20's that have traveled to Charleston for concerts......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area