Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 04:22 PM

11 posts, read 11,728 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just found Charleston this summer and fell in love with the city and surrounding areas. We're hoping to make it our home in the near future! I think our next trip out there (we live in MN) will be the end of March to do the Bridge Run! I'm so pumped about it! Anyone have any feedback for me on what to expect? Suggestions on areas to stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 05:47 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,354,995 times
^~~~~~~ Certified Couch Potato here......

Not running anything like the bridge any time soon.....

Check out the Flowertown Festival that is always the same weekend....

Old 08-26-2011, 06:45 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,029,368 times
You'll need to line up a few hours early, and the bridge will be shut down early before the race. So staying in Mount Pleasant could be your best bet, there will be shuttles to take you back across the bridge from the finish line. However, if you have someone to take you and drop you at the finish line, then staying downtown in a hotel would be even better. You don't need to fight the crowds to get back across the bridge.

It's a fun event, I've gone a few years for moral support and "designated picker upper and carrier to the car" though this will be the first I actually run it.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:52 AM

11 posts, read 11,728 times
Thanks for the feedback! I'm not a runner, either, and plan to walk - there's a walker section at the end of the line. Maybe if training goes particularly well I can "wog" it. Not looking to make any world records, but would love the experience and absolutely LOVE the bridge. I'm glad the Flowertown Festival is the same weekend. I definitely want to check that out too!! Good luck on your first run DJ!

How are you guys fairing with Irene? I'm watching your local news websites to keep up on how things are around Charleston. Hang in there!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:15 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,354,995 times
Getting the first of the rain bands here in Huger:
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone sign up for the Cooper River Bridge Run yet?-irene82611.jpg  

Old 08-26-2011, 11:27 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,029,368 times
Rain just startedin Goose Creek, nothing unusual here. Seems like a mild thunderstorm. Downtown and N. Charleston seem to have a bit more wind and rain and a few downed trees/power lines at the moment. It's a glancing blow, at best. Keep an eye on North Carolina, Virginia and Maryland though.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:37 PM

193 posts, read 394,993 times
I've done the bridge run the last 2 years and will make it an annual occurrence. Even though the crowds are insane, and you have to get there cruelly early due to bridge/road closures, it is an absolute blast. It doesn't matter if you're fast or slow, it's for everyone to do. Unless you want to bring a stroller, then we might have words (unless you follow the rules and stay at the very back like you're supposed to. Getting hit in the ankle when I'm halfway back is not my idea of a good time so I leave my stroller at home for this race.)

Anyways, last year I went to the Flowertown Festival after the Bridge Run to make an all-around Charleston day. The crowds were much more intense for Flowertown and I think I'll try to hit that on Friday next year instead so that I have more room and time to check all the vendors out. :-)

Old 08-27-2011, 07:39 PM

193 posts, read 394,993 times
PS - It's absolutely the easiest (albeit most expensive) to stay downtown. If you can't, Mt P is the place to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area