Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 06:03 AM

478 posts, read 1,657,798 times

Advertisements

We headed out to go fishing yesterday, started off at Lake Moultrie, but the water was pretty choppy, so decided to head to the Cooper River. Anyway, we had to laugh - our first time fishing from a boat here - and though we couldn't get anything to even nibble - the fish were jumping out of the water left and right - as if to say "catch me if you can."

Anyway, again not being from this area - I will admit it's not something we've ever experienced before. Does anyone know what kind of fish these are, and why they heck they jump out of the water like they do.

We started fishing a few years ago (we catch and release - don't eat) when we got a lake house, on a smaller lake up north, and actually did okay. We have yet to get a nibble our few times trying here. But I do realize it's summer time, the water is hot and a lot of activity on the river. The only thing we got was a nice sun burn, but we had fun just the same - it was actually more fun watching the fish taunt us. As for salt water fishing, I don't think we're ready yet, at least not me.

Thanks for any information you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:31 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
The fish jumping where either mullet or manhaden, bait fish mostly.

If you are fishing in Lake Moultrie and want to do good, you should pay a guild to take you fishing and pay attention to where he takes you and ask lots of questions. That lake is so huge and the fish move around so much. Another source is SC Game and Fish magazine, they cover the whole state but do put our two big lakes in some publications. One more source for information is to go to some of the fish camps, ask questions about where the fish are biting and what they are being taken on, most of the people at the bait shops know what's going on out on the lakes.

My own experience is that if you want catfish, the best place for them is the diversion canal between the two lakes.

Good luck and remember the worse day fishing is better than the best day working.....

Old 07-20-2009, 06:37 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,831 times
Tom's right, they are Manhaden...

Old 07-20-2009, 03:11 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Tom's right, they are Manhaden...
Also called "Bunker" by shrimpers.

They may also be mullet.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:51 PM

478 posts, read 1,657,798 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you for the info on fishing - I've passed on the advice to my husband, and we'll do our homework first - before heading out again.

Yesterday we made the mistake of going out on the Ashley River - long story. But we were amazed to see the fry jumping out of the water - and the flurry they would make in the water. Even if we didn't catch anything we have fun watching the fish leaping out of the water. Yesterday we even saw our first alligator. When we turned around to get a better view into the water it slid - but it was our first time seeing an alligator in the wild so far.

I agree - even if we don't catch a fish - it's just relaxing being out there!

Old 07-21-2009, 08:38 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Gechie, I said it could be either mullet or manhaden...

RJ, if you want to see a lot of Alligators I can tell you where to go to find them up on the lakes...

Let me know if you need any more info....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area