Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 03:17 PM

45 posts, read 108,044 times

Advertisements

So my fiance and I have been looking up information on the Summerville area because we would possibly like to make a move there sometime in the near future. From what we have seen on the internet we really like it. We want to move to a nice family friendly town. We are planning to make a trip at the end of the month and need some advice. What are the best areas of Summerville and the worse. We would like to buy a house in the $100,000-$200,000 range, so what are some nice neighborhood we can look into. What are some places that we should stop and see while in Summerville? Basically any advice about the place would be great! Also, we of course will be stopping in Charleston to check the place out, we've heard a lot of great stuff about the area. What areas should we stay out of, and again what are some places we should check out on our trip there. We are very outdoorsy if that helps any. Thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 06:24 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,437,352 times
Well, you have to ask some of the Summerville people about Summerville. I do know it is a very nice town for families and very clean. It is about 40 minutes from the oceanfront. The houses in Summerville are much less expensive and more affordable than Charleston , which is priced highly. Good luck.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:12 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
The areas of Summerville to stay away from are the ones just north of I-26 in Sangaree, West of town along the railroad tracks and a few areas just outside of town on Central ave. Just about everywhere else is good....

You can find a few really good deals right now since the market if flooded with houses....

Old 04-16-2012, 02:58 PM

88 posts, read 257,888 times
We've also found the same thing as the 1st poster, ie, looking for under $200k and found that there appears to be a lot of nice-looking, affordable houses in Summerville.
I was in Charleston briefly but not in Summerville. Does it still feel like Charleston? I.e., do you feel like you're not too far from the ocean? Palm trees? One reason we're moving to Charleston is to be near the coast. But I don't think there's anything "nice" near C. for < $200k?
How's the commute to/from Citadel 8am-4pm?
Is S. much hotter than C.? Is taxes low? What is it on a $200k house? How about home insurance?

Old 04-16-2012, 03:10 PM

What is C?

Old 04-16-2012, 03:44 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,449,029 times
OTC.....I think almost- hawaiian is using "C" for Charleston and "S" for Summerville.....

Old 04-16-2012, 04:28 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,015,075 times
OleTomCat - Can you be more specific regarding the area west of town around the railroad tracks? What streets? I don't see RR tracks on Mapquest map.

Also, the area just outside of town on Central Ave - is that the Knightsville area where White Gables is located?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 PM

Luke and Doty run on either side of the railroad tracks through town, the area is called brownsville I think....

Those areas are the ones closer to town than knightsville, between western carolina ave and white blvd....

Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 AM

45 posts, read 108,044 times
Thank you so much for the information y'all are giving me. I'll make sure to stay away from that area. Which neighborhood would you recommend with nice houses in my price range that's family friendly. Another question I have is, is North Charleston a really bad area? From what I'm reading it is.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:32 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,654,820 times
North Charleston is mixed, it is also rather large. Yes there are bad areas and there are also areas with Country clubs.

Also another thing you need to consider in your decision is counties. Alot of areas overlap. You will see dorchester county is great, but your city isn't ranked well. The average incomes on both can be $20k apart, even though your house is in both areas. So its worth looking at a little harder.

As for finding homes, there are tons of areas in your price range. The next thing you will want to look into is do you want to do newer construction(like 2004+) or older, like late 80s early 90s.

Both have pluses and minuses.

older houses around here might need some updating, most roofs were last fixed do to hugo around '90 and are needing replacement now, if it already hasn't. Smaller master bath, more "walled off" rooms. There are some great houses, I'd take a real hard look and run the numbers on older foreclosed houses. I looked at alot, and man... costs add up real quick and don't look like such a deal.

Newer construction, obvdiously newer, usually pretty energy efficient, but I believe some people on here had problems. My place is 2006 and is very energy efficient.

Their are less trees on the lots, but the style of homes, are more modern, neighborhoods are usually setup with a nice amenities are and playground style place.

I moved into a newer construction house in smaller subdivision, that had nicer amenities then some of the bigger neighborhoods, lots of woods around, and my house backs up to a forest, with a few large trees in my backyard, easy walking distance to the pool/playground/trails in the woods. We usually take our kid down there in a wagon in the afternoon to play.

where are you coming from? Can you spend a weekend in the area just driving around? You can get a feel for places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area