Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:56 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,525,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
It was conceited and ignorant.

The advice you gave wasn't good. It was rude and obnoxious.

`'Your son is a big boy and needs to do his own research like mine.'
`

yeah .. that isn't the SLIGHTEST BIT conceited.
After reading some of the follow up posts, the word insensitive comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:58 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,289,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Okay -- those of you defending the OP and objecting to the honest answers are making mountains out of molehills. The written word doesn't allow for subtle little inuendos --sometimes it seems blunt...but I was not being rude. The OP is a well intentioned parent but the reality is this -- no matter what the situation....the child should be the one doing the search. Even if it is with Mom/Dad sitting besides them on the computer. i feel the same way about parents who come to this board and ask about where there child should live when they move here for their new job. The child should be doing the research.......regardless of the situation.

I only brought up my children to show that I am not speaking without some experience. I have 2 kids -- not always on the ball, they have their faults -- but they are the ones that have to know what kind of job they can get and where and the best place to find that out -- is the place they got their education.

My apologies to the original poster if you were offended by my terse, honest answer. I wasn't being conceited --- I have no ego about my children's abilities or lack thereof -- depending on the situation. I would have said the same thing to my very best friend. Yes in person -- I might have sugar coated it -- but in the written word that would have been even more condescending.
Any way you want to sugar coat this... you were rude, offensive and you have no idea what we do or don't do for our challenged son. but FYI..he has done all the research, his resume and his demo reel by himself. He merely asked if I had any contacts here in the Charleston area so I immediately thought of this helpful forum. You my dear can take your 166 reputation points and put them where the sun don't shine.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:12 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
Again -- apologies if you were offended. A simple explanation that you were offended by my remarks would have been sufficient without personal attacks.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:13 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,114,740 times
Quote:
Okay -- those of you defending the OP and objecting to the honest answers are making mountains out of molehills. The written word doesn't allow for subtle little inuendos --sometimes it seems blunt...but I was not being rude. The OP is a well intentioned parent but the reality is this -- no matter what the situation....the child should be the one doing the search. Even if it is with Mom/Dad sitting besides them on the computer. i feel the same way about parents who come to this board and ask about where there child should live when they move here for their new job. The child should be doing the research.......regardless of the situation.

I only brought up my children to show that I am not speaking without some experience. I have 2 kids -- not always on the ball, they have their faults -- but they are the ones that have to know what kind of job they can get and where and the best place to find that out -- is the place they got their education.

My apologies to the original poster if you were offended by my terse, honest answer. I wasn't being conceited --- I have no ego about my children's abilities or lack thereof -- depending on the situation. I would have said the same thing to my very best friend. Yes in person -- I might have sugar coated it -- but in the written word that would have been even more condescending.
It was conceited and ignorant.

The advice you gave wasn't good. It was rude and obnoxious.

`'Your son is a big boy and needs to do his own research like mine.'
`

yeah .. that isn't the SLIGHTEST BIT conceited.

EDIT : Just wanted to add that a person SHOULD use EVERY tool available to them when they do that research ... INCLUDING asking their parents, family and friends if they have or can get any information.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Again -- apologies if you were offended. A simple explanation that you were offended by my remarks would have been sufficient without personal attacks.
I have never personally attacked anyone in all my years on this forum, but you struck a raw nerve with me by being so condescending.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 PM

Conceit implies that I feel superior. I don't at all. I feel bad I offended the original poster. That was not my intent. If I was truly conceited I would be personally attacking everyone who has been very critical of me.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:33 PM

As I said -- I didn't mean to be condescending. I also feel that, while you have been dissatisfied with my comments, you have no more information to go on...so....

Go back to the school he graduated from and see if they have a job fair. Even if he has graduated they will probably allow him to attend if they do have them. If they don't have job fairs they may have a career counseling department. If it is a local school they will know if there are any local businesses that will have use for that skill.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:17 PM

26 posts, read 47,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
Are there any companies in the Charleston area that do 3d animations? My son just received a BFA degree in animation and would love to stay here but I'm not so sure those type of jobs are here.
Having sifted through the other portions of this thread- let me first say, I commend you for helping your son-- looking for an initial job is daunting, and can be very difficult for any young person. I believe strongly that receptive, supportive parents can really help young adults at least weed through job ideas, strategies etcetera. My children are ages 23 and 30 and often talk with me about pending interviews, salaries etcetera and I wouldn't have it any other way!

In regards to 3D positions- first of all let me be very clear I am not from your neck of the woods and am getting ready to move to the area but my fiance has been in the industry for many years and I picked his brain regarding strategies for finding 3D work locally-

Instead of just looking for actual 3D advertised positions search out game design, CD-ROM design studios- he also may want to see if there are any local post-effects houses, broadcast or television studios or even entertainment venues that may have a call for his work. Because Animation is a more highly sought after career in specific areas it may require a move but at least this gives him some options locally for searching--- also he may want to group up with others that have complimentary skills and look into doing some free-lance work.

One place to look is VFXpro.com they often post positions there and do have a job board if he hasn't checked it out. Would likely require relocation for jobs through this but it would however provide him with experience in his skillset.

Additionally is check Craigslist looking for jobs or post his own skillset. It may not result in a paying position but he may be able to work with an independent production that will pad out his reel.

Whatever works for him- best of luck!

Bree

Old 01-20-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daequix View Post
Having sifted through the other portions of this thread- let me first say, I commend you for helping your son-- looking for an initial job is daunting, and can be very difficult for any young person. I believe strongly that receptive, supportive parents can really help young adults at least weed through job ideas, strategies etcetera. My children are ages 23 and 30 and often talk with me about pending interviews, salaries etcetera and I wouldn't have it any other way!

In regards to 3D positions- first of all let me be very clear I am not from your neck of the woods and am getting ready to move to the area but my fiance has been in the industry for many years and I picked his brain regarding strategies for finding 3D work locally-

Instead of just looking for actual 3D advertised positions search out game design, CD-ROM design studios- he also may want to see if there are any local post-effects houses, broadcast or television studios or even entertainment venues that may have a call for his work. Because Animation is a more highly sought after career in specific areas it may require a move but at least this gives him some options locally for searching--- also he may want to group up with others that have complimentary skills and look into doing some free-lance work.

One place to look is VFXpro.com they often post positions there and do have a job board if he hasn't checked it out. Would likely require relocation for jobs through this but it would however provide him with experience in his skillset.

Additionally is check Craigslist looking for jobs or post his own skillset. It may not result in a paying position but he may be able to work with an independent production that will pad out his reel.

Whatever works for him- best of luck!

Bree
Thank you so much Bree..this is exactly what I needed for advice. I will send him off with the advice you have given. Have a great day!

Old 01-20-2012, 06:06 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,034,456 times
Yes, I do know places he could work that would need this. The companies that support SPAWAR (SRC, SAIC, Booz-Allen, Mantech, etc) do 3-D modeling and some with animation. Most of those companies love to hire new grads because, well frankly, they're cheap. Oh and they're definitely hiring because they're having a hard time finding qualified applicants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area