Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:35 AM

7 posts, read 10,019 times

Advertisements

Greetings.

I need to have the electrics installed on my car so I can tow a small trailer. I checked with the Honda dealership and they want $520!

So I'm hoping there is somewhere local (Mt. Pleasant) that is more reasonable!

Can anyone recommend somewhere?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 10:57 AM

183 posts, read 356,992 times
Try U-Haul. They install tow packages, including wiring I think, but I'm not sure about their prices. But most places will beat a dealership anyway.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:26 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,677,118 times
I had a hitch and wiring harness installed at Uhaul on Rivers Ave. They were fast, efficient, and reasonable.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:47 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,680,605 times
Although it wasn't done here in the area, we also had a hitch installed on our vehicle by u-haul. I think we paid roughly what you were quoted, but it was a serious hitch with breaking assist for towing a very large trailer. They had the best price around and were also fast and efficient.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:00 PM

246 posts, read 519,115 times
For the last 20 yrs or so we've been going to Corbins Hitch in North Charleston. DH is in the auto industry and wouldn't go anywhere else.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:20 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,343,061 times
Do it in your front yard, most of the kits come with instructions. It is just a matter of unplugging one wiring harness and plugging in the kit then routing the wires out the back...

Old 07-11-2012, 08:15 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,475,074 times
2nd on Corbins... I've used them for many years as well, I'm a shop super and have sent more vehicles to them than I can remember...

nothing against U-Haul but those are low paid/skilled employees using scotch locks and butt connectors where things should be done more professional IMHO, if you're using a brake controller you can't just tap into any ole power source...

Old 07-11-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
2nd on Corbins... I've used them for many years as well, I'm a shop super and have sent more vehicles to them than I can remember...

nothing against U-Haul but those are low paid/skilled employees using scotch locks and butt connectors where things should be done more professional IMHO, if you're using a brake controller you can't just tap into any ole power source...
Not true, like I stated above the kits these days come with instructions so that anyone can install them without cutting a single wire, all you do is unplug a connector and plug in the wiring harness for the towing package, ANYONE who can read can do this.....

Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,475,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Not true, like I stated above the kits these days come with instructions so that anyone can install them without cutting a single wire, all you do is unplug a connector and plug in the wiring harness for the towing package, ANYONE who can read can do this.....
with all due respect OTC I've been a wrench for over 30 years in many shops, run a few of them including the one I'm in now...

if you are using a brake controller it isn't always plug and play, many of the switches on cars today use a 5VDC reference to turn on something else down stream as well... that isn't enough to work off of for any of the kind of "kits" you are referring too

I believe you are talking about a standard light kit for a run of the mill small trailer that just needs lights from a very basic, or older vehicle... most people these days also want a brake controller so they can hook up to other types of trailers when they need to too, that's where it stops being "plug an aftermarket connector in" and goes into actually soldering in a real controller with relays...

look at some of todays brake light switches and tell me where you plan on "tapping" it for your aftermarket kit? you did notice there's 9 wires going to some, and 12VDC isn't anywhere to be found?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
with all due respect OTC I've been a wrench for over 30 years in many shops, run a few of them including the one I'm in now...

if you are using a brake controller it isn't always plug and play, many of the switches on cars today use a 5VDC reference to turn on something else down stream as well... that isn't enough to work off of for any of the kind of "kits" you are referring too

I believe you are talking about a standard light kit for a run of the mill small trailer that just needs lights from a very basic, or older vehicle... most people these days also want a brake controller so they can hook up to other types of trailers when they need to too, that's where it stops being "plug an aftermarket connector in" and goes into actually soldering in a real controller with relays...

look at some of todays brake light switches and tell me where you plan on "tapping" it for your aftermarket kit? you did notice there's 9 wires going to some, and 12VDC isn't anywhere to be found?
The OP wants a simple hitch put on a Honda, no need for brake controls or 9 wires or all of that other crap...

Simple plug and play....

Look at the link below, it even has a brake controller:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh...nds/hoppy.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area