Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 01:52 PM

183 posts, read 356,767 times

Advertisements

Might just be my favorite restaurant. If you like soul food/traditional southern cooking, this is one of the best spots around town. Bertha's kitchen and Marie's diner are some others, though I haven't been to either one in a while. I went to Martha's for lunch today, and sat down inside for the first time. It's quite comfortable, although looking at it from the outside you wouldn't think there would even be room to sit down! The ladies who run this place are all very nice, asking plenty of times if everything tasted good and if we needed more to drink. The atmosphere is not like most restaurants, especially around the downtown area. There are pictures on the walls, murals, and other personal decorations. All cutlery and dishes are plastic/styrofoam.

I had a fried pork chop, red rice, macaroni, lima beans, and a piece of corn bread. All the sides I've had are near perfect. The macaroni is buttery and seasoned (this time it tasted slightly like seasoning salt, which is good on mac & cheese!). I don't have any special comments for the red rice, only that I order it every time it's available. Well-seasoned, no need to add salt or pepper. The limas are cooked to the consistency one would expect in a southern kitchen, and served in a thick gravy (sometimes with a ham hock in it). My co-worker who I went with said the corn bread tasted just like his grandmother's, and it really is that good. The pork chop is hot and juicy, fried with a tasty batter. The fried chicken is similar: served piping hot and always juicy. There are some places I will avoid white meat, especially chicken breasts. Martha Lou's is not one of them.

However, be forewarned that if you go and order sweet tea, you will be given instant tea. I'm guessing they serve it because it's easier and cheaper. Before sweet tea really took off as part of the southern mythos, some families did serve instant tea in their homes. My father's mom did Nestea for years when it was easier and more available in rural areas. Anyway, the people that work there are fantastic. A young girl (12-13) waited on us and was very nice. I was asked by Martha Lou and another woman if everything was good. We signed their book. Once I went in for takeout, only my second time, and one lady (can't remember her name, short blonde hair) said "Hey honey, you haven't been here in a while!" Surprised she rememberd me! And I think the price is reasonable: $8.50 for the classic meat and three. It's enough food for anyone, although I definitely could've had more! And I noticed, you do get slightly larger portions if you order to go. I think it's due to their serving containers.

It doesn't matter if you live here or are visiting, check it out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 02:47 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,946 times
where?

it's a shame Bertha died awhile back, that was the best in the tricounty area til then...

Old 07-13-2012, 03:07 PM

It's on Morrison Drive on the right headings towards the interstate. Shortly before you get to the King/Meeting/Morrison confluence, right about when you're getting into the peninsula's "neck" area. Street address is 1068 Morrison.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:34 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
I wonder how many people ever heard of Ms. Libby's Country Kitchen out in Huger, she had the best little country buffet.....

Old 07-13-2012, 07:17 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,592 times
I will have to try Martha Lou's! If I were coming off the Ravenel bridge and take a right onto Morrison, would it be after the Tattooed Moose?

Old 07-14-2012, 06:32 AM

547 posts, read 1,196,755 times
before Moose on the right. Little blue freestanding building

Old 07-17-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I will have to try Martha Lou's! If I were coming off the Ravenel bridge and take a right onto Morrison, would it be after the Tattooed Moose?
Yep, the building is pink now though.

Went back again yesterday. The cabbage was excellent But I'm not allowed to go back for a while now... real southern cooking like that shouldn't be consumed all the time, unless you do hard labor all day and can afford the extra calories.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:03 PM

780 posts, read 1,542,654 times
Found another good restaurant on Ashley Phosphate in the Food Lion strip mall.

Nigel's Good Food Very good food and $6.50 lunch specials. Today I had stewed chicken, macaroni and cheese and something I have never eaten. Black eyed peas in fried rice.

Try it out.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:11 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Magnasty you are a little behind the times, Bulldog, Capt and I all reviewed this place earlier this year...

Old 08-02-2012, 08:02 AM

780 posts, read 1,542,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Magnasty you are a little behind the times, Bulldog, Capt and I all reviewed this place earlier this year...
And the results were?

There is another one on Central where Cape's BBQ place used to be. Have nor heard anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area