Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 AM

122 posts, read 479,512 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my aunt and I are heading to the Charleston area for a vacation/retirement look see-December 14-22.
Will be staying in MT, West Ashley area and Summerville (approximately 3 days each)
Would appreciate suggestions on must see Christmas events. Would love to attend a Christmas music concert or play. Enjoy classical music.
Any restaurants suggestions woudl be appreciated too. Looking for great food, not too pricy or dressy of a place. Enjoy seafood and ethic foods as well as southern foods; where can I get a great pulled pork sandwich? In July found a great Thai restaurant in MP and seafood house in IOP. Can't remember the name of the seafood house in IOP, Long Beach Grill? It is in a strip mall before the beach. Hoping it will be open in December.
Thought I saw something about open house in Summerville.
Read there is a drive through light show but not sure where.
Have not booked my hotels yet as I want to stay near the event. So I need to figure what is going on in the area first.
Very excited about the trip and hopefully won't get as lost as I did in the summer. Is the roadwork done on 17? Thinking I may need to buy a GPS unit but you meet such great people when you're lost.
Good news, I know how to get to IOP, Kohls, Whole Foods, Trader Joes; and will learn more this trip.
Sigh I hope you don't think "another Yankee" moving here; we are genteel older ladies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 12:07 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Drive through light show is at the James Island County Park.

Not much going on in the area around that time, most of the festivals are finished. There is a church in Summerville that has a living Christmas tree show, the CSO,Charleston Syphony Orchestra with the Quior, normally does their Christmas performance around then. Lots of little things, check out the City paper for alot of the listings.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:59 AM

Thank you for your help; would have loved to gone earlier, but only time I fit vacation time in with my job.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:40 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,034 times
As a newbie myself, I don't think you'll be bored at all.

Even the ordinary things will seem pretty cool....enjoy

Old 10-17-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
As a newbie myself, I don't think you'll be bored at all.

Even the ordinary things will seem pretty cool....enjoy
Charleston seems like a special place to me and glad that you second my opinion.
Anything in particular we visit?
Will also do all the normal stuff like visit supermarkets, Kohls etc.
Hmm what sweetgrass basket do I buy on this trip?!

Old 10-17-2012, 11:43 AM

Jersey I forgot to ask the first time around, what exit?

Old 10-17-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl3624 View Post
Charleston seems like a special place to me and glad that you second my opinion.
Anything in particular we visit?
Will also do all the normal stuff like visit supermarkets, Kohls etc.
Hmm what sweetgrass basket do I buy on this trip?!
I would check the CSO schedule, there may be performances during your visit.

I like just looking around downtown. Everything from the greenery on the streets, to the way the buildings are created is interesting.

I'm not a shopping person, but I doubt you'll be left with a shortage of things to do.

Just plan on having fun

Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 AM

CSO schedule

Charleston Symphony Orchestra - Events

Old 11-01-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Jersey I forgot to ask the first time around, what exit?
Exit 135 Clark
90% of town without power thank you Sandy. hard to get gas for the car.
We're doing okay!

Old 11-01-2012, 01:12 PM

Glad to hear it, I am from South Jersey, 15 miles from AC...

Parents never lost power...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area