Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 AM

37 posts, read 84,244 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone....
I'm sure you've read a post like this quite a few times. Like many others, we're looking
to moving to the Charleston area. But on our housing budget, (Under $100K) it looks
like the N. Charleston, Goose Creek, Hanahan,Ladson and Summerville area is going
be our best choices. So for families... which area you like best? And why?
Keep all this in mind...Families,Churches, jobs,shopping, activities etc..(and yes,
HOUSING!!*)...explain the differences

thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 10:32 AM

870 posts, read 1,993,489 times
We'll need more details.

What line of work are you both in? What type of church are you interested in since there seems to be one on just about every corner in some places? What type of activities (youth, adult, sports, which ones etc)? What kind of commute are you looking for?

Honestly, at face value, my gut reaction would be to say rent for a while until your budget comes up a bit or even consider a rental with an option to buy at the end of the lease. This is not to say that you can't buy a home in that price range only that it won't be easy to find all of the things you want for the price. Then again nothing worth doing is ever easy right?

Where are you moving from? Will you have a job before you arrive?

Old 12-23-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
We'll need more details.

What line of work are you both in? What type of church are you interested in since there seems to be one on just about every corner in some places? What type of activities (youth, adult, sports, which ones etc)? What kind of commute are you looking for?

Honestly, at face value, my gut reaction would be to say rent for a while until your budget comes up a bit or even consider a rental with an option to buy at the end of the lease. This is not to say that you can't buy a home in that price range only that it won't be easy to find all of the things you want for the price. Then again nothing worth doing is ever easy right?

Where are you moving from? Will you have a job before you arrive?
Work-will probably be some form of manufacturing
Church-holyness,like Church of God or Penticostal (ex..
activties-kids,beaches and more
budget-uhh,thats not likely to change
and we're not sure if we'll have our job when we arrive or not, lets just say..I hope so.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:42 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,059,458 times
I live in West Ashley... haven't really seen any homes for that price range here, my husband and I rent but we're looking and our budget is under $300k but preferably under $250k.

I kind of agree on renting until you can buy with the way the budget looks. If it was under $200k (or even around $150k), you could find something fairly nice out here (West Ashley outside of the Mark Clark). Especially without knowing if you'll have a job. Our goal was to move down for husband's job, get to know the area, then figure out exactly where we wanted to live and budget for a home. We've been here 6 months and are sure we want to stay and will start looking at a home seriously next year- our lease runs out in June.

There are tons of churches all over the city, so surely you'll find one you like that's pretty close to you. I will say that the way the budget looks, you're probably not likely to find anything close to the beaches. Here in West Ashley we're about 35 minutes away from IOP though, not too bad.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 AM

7,928 posts, read 17,381,558 times
Summerville has lots to offer, better schools than the areas you will be able to afford in the other places, churches all over, including a few Pentecostal...

Did a search on Realtor.com, found over 200 that fit your criteria: 3-Bedroom Summerville, SC Homes for Sale - REALTOR.com®

Old 12-24-2012, 07:46 AM

662 posts, read 1,415,175 times
The problem with renting first is the rent will be much higher than a mortgage for a 3 bedroom home. I bet you couldn't find one under $1,000/month.

I would recommend staying in Dorchester County for the schools.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:05 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,189,842 times
We live in Berkeley County and have had 1.5 year experience with the schools (so not too much)....I've had kids in the elementary, middle, and highschool levels. With that being said, there are schools in Berkeley that I wouldn't want my children to attend BUT I'm extremely happy with my kiddos' schools. Just remember to be selective in any county you move to, not all schools are created equal.

We looked and looked in Summerville but just couldn't find a home/lot we were happy with. We did end up finding a home we were happy with in Crowfield (Goose Creek), even though we only looked at 1 and for some reason I was hesitant about Crowfield. I had my heart set on the Ashborough subdivision in Summerville but the homes that were listed just didn't match our search.

After living in the Charleston area for a year, every town and county has undesirable places and desirable places so don't get stuck on one town or one county.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:30 AM

Default Goose Creek and N. Charleston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post
I live in West Ashley... haven't really seen any homes for that price range here, my husband and I rent but we're looking and our budget is under $300k but preferably under $250k.

I kind of agree on renting until you can buy with the way the budget looks. If it was under $200k (or even around $150k), you could find something fairly nice out here (West Ashley outside of the Mark Clark). Especially without knowing if you'll have a job. Our goal was to move down for husband's job, get to know the area, then figure out exactly where we wanted to live and budget for a home. We've been here 6 months and are sure we want to stay and will start looking at a home seriously next year- our lease runs out in June.

There are tons of churches all over the city, so surely you'll find one you like that's pretty close to you. I will say that the way the budget looks, you're probably not likely to find anything close to the beaches. Here in West Ashley we're about 35 minutes away from IOP though, not too bad.
Yeah, we're not likely to find something real close to the beach...though! That would be nice. We're looking pretty hard
at North Charleston and Goose Creek...and yea, Summerville too (Ladson).
Hey, everyone....whats the avg taxes and insurance look like in those areas-$$ (home owners)

Old 12-26-2012, 02:50 PM

313 posts, read 711,180 times
Maybe look out towards Hollywood as well. At that price range, you are not going to be in the best of areas no matter where you look.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
We live in Berkeley County and have had 1.5 year experience with the schools (so not too much)....I've had kids in the elementary, middle, and highschool levels. With that being said, there are schools in Berkeley that I wouldn't want my children to attend BUT I'm extremely happy with my kiddos' schools. Just remember to be selective in any county you move to, not all schools are created equal.

We looked and looked in Summerville but just couldn't find a home/lot we were happy with. We did end up finding a home we were happy with in Crowfield (Goose Creek), even though we only looked at 1 and for some reason I was hesitant about Crowfield. I had my heart set on the Ashborough subdivision in Summerville but the homes that were listed just didn't match our search.

After living in the Charleston area for a year, every town and county has undesirable places and desirable places so don't get stuck on one town or one county.
Hey,whats taxes and insurance run a year on the avg house? (anyone)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area