Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 PM

142 posts, read 270,259 times

Advertisements

Ok, so looking for some thoughts here. I purchased a home in Goose Creek (Liberty Hall Plantation) and am looking to move in the near future. The main reason I want to move is to be closer to the beach/water (I'm an avid kiteboarder, paddleboarder, like to fish, etc.) and we can afford more now. The drive right now is approximately 28 minutes to SI/IOP, which is not horrible, but I'd love to be 5 - 10 minutes instead. We are also looking to be closer to restaurants, in a decent school district, etc.

So, my budget is up to $300k roughly, and I'm looking to probably/hopefully break even on selling our house.

We are looking at JI quite a bit, so other than the traffic, are there any other thoughts on James Island. My other thought would be somewhere off the IOP Connector/Rifle Range Rd. like Sweetgrass, etc.

I've lived here for 7 years now, originally off Clements Ferry Rd., now in GC, so I have an idea of the different areas, but I'd like to get some other thoughts.

Oh, and we are currently in 2500 sf which is way more than we need for the 2 of us and 2 dogs, looking at something smaller, like 1800 - 2100 sf, 3 bed/2 bath with a decent yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 05:30 AM

69 posts, read 178,355 times
On ji you should make sure to look at riverland terrace. It is right next to the water and there is a public boat launch and nice park on the Elliott cut/ wappoo. i think the county is also planning on building another waterfront area for water activities along the wappoo but on the other side of the draw bridge. You can walk to a handful of restaurants and there is a theater there too. You won't have to deal with folly rd traffic either. The houses are older and smaller there, but the whole neighborhood is great to walk around in since every house is unique and there are so many great trees. Hope this helps

Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 AM

Yeah, I'm looking at Ocean Neighbors, because I figure if I'm going to live over there I may as well be pretty close to the beach. Far as the commute, I travel quite a bit for work, so a lot of time I'm headed to the airport, the rest of the time I'm near Tanger Outlets. So I'm figuring as long as I go to/from work at my usual time 6:30 AM/3:30 PM, I can hopefully avoid most of the traffic.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,961,418 times
Ocean Neighbors, as I have read and been told, has a pretty terrible HOA. You might want to check in on that a bit further though.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM

Yeah, well compared to our HOA that may be a good thing, our HOA goes from handing out $25 tickets for a few weeds to not responding for months to a house with a piece plywood over a window. So.........I don't care if they are strict as long as they are consistent.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:46 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,435,935 times
I live on James Island, and like mentioned above you would love to be on James Island. I am a water lover too. The great thing is when you go to/from work all the traffic in Charleston County is coming in to Charleston in the morning and going out to Goose Creek, Summerville, etc in the rush hour at 5 pm. So , here we are going opposite and it is much better. James Island has several great neighborhoods, Ocean Nieghbors is just starting to build 15 or more brand new houses now, if you want to check that out. They start at around $290,000 so a little expensive, but they are with Mungo Homes if you want to look them up on the internet.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:57 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,021,789 times
On Mt. P, also take a look at Ivy Hall, Sweetgrass, West Point (other side of the IOP connector). Also check down lower Mt. Pleasant for access to Shem Creek and paddleboarding out from there.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
I live on James Island, and like mentioned above you would love to be on James Island. I am a water lover too. The great thing is when you go to/from work all the traffic in Charleston County is coming in to Charleston in the morning and going out to Goose Creek, Summerville, etc in the rush hour at 5 pm. So , here we are going opposite and it is much better. James Island has several great neighborhoods, Ocean Nieghbors is just starting to build 15 or more brand new houses now, if you want to check that out. They start at around $290,000 so a little expensive, but they are with Mungo Homes if you want to look them up on the internet.

Yeah, we have a friend who sells for Mungo in Columbia, and I saw that on the internet as well right before you mentioned it. I was looking in Seaside Plantation as well, looks like a nice balance of pricing/housing options and still close to Folly and the waterways.

I'm swinging more towards JI, although Sweetgrass in Mt. P is appealing as well.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:01 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,704 times
I live on James Island and love it! One thing I've noticed is James Island has a reputation for bad traffic whereas I find the traffic in other areas of Charleston to be much worse. I'll take the traffic on James Island over Mt Pleasant or West Ashley based on my personal experience.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:36 PM

Nice, yeah we are looking more at JI, we just have to sell out house first, which I'm sure is going to be fun. Planning on checking some houses out next weekend in Seaside Plantation, etc. Right now, we are still just gathering information, getting a feel for the neighborhoods, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area