Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 AM

10,088 posts, read 7,763,936 times

Advertisements

I have about 30 pieces of nice Repousse sterling silver flatware pieces from my great grandmother. I have lots of salad forks mostly. Just looking on Ebay, individual pieces seem to go for pretty high.

I am not sure if best to sell by piece on Ebay or elsewhere, meltdown, take it to a jeweler type place or estate silver shop.

Can someone recommend a place in Summerville to try?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 11:30 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
I don't know if they would buy it for its value as flatware but Demtrius Jewelers on King Stree (in an old bank building where Hassell dead ends into King) will buy precious metals. I used them once when I inhereitted some collectors coins that were mass produced but real metal. They were very above board, provided a detailed quote by metal weight/quality & explained what might have more value to someone looking for an actual collectible.

Your situation is different because I imagine someone really would want those as flatware- but the question would become will the metal value be worth more than a dealer/vendor who probably only wants to give 50% of the vlaue they can sell them at? Or might want to treat them as consignment meaning you have to wait for a sale to get any money.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:11 AM

859 posts, read 1,362,237 times
I would certainly have them appraised to see what their true value is. I don't know that I'd go to any kind of antique dealer/estate sale outfit to try and sell them, though; they're going to give you a wholesale price; edited to say there's nothing wrong with that - they're in business to make a profit.

If you can work your way through Ebay, or even put them up on Craig's list, you might be able to get closer to their actual value for them.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:22 AM

Thanks Mr. Peati and Caili. I appreciate your input.

I think I'll just find a place in Summerville that buys silver and gold and just ask what the meltdown value is just out of curiosity.

More than likely I will put them on Ebay as individual pieces since I don't have full place settings. I can get an idea of the asking prices from there also. I think if someone needs a certain piece they may pay more.

I've sold on Ebay a few times so know how but surely no expert.

Thanks again.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,901 times
Go to American Metals, downtown.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:25 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
I think American Metals and Demtre Jewelers are on in the same- or atleast they function from their back counter. They were the best reviewed buyer when I looked into it and my experience matched the reviews.

You might want to call and antigue person to ask about splitting the set- even if its not full. I have a half sister who is into those things and supposedly a full (or near full set) of any portion of china/silver makes them more valuable. So even if its just salad forks that are the full set they might still increase the worth.

As explained by the man who cannot tell a salad from a desert from whatever non dinner fork one might use.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:11 PM

870 posts, read 1,987,543 times
If they are selling well on eBay, I'd sell them on eBay.

Here's why.

Spring is wedding season most places. I know it's only January, but weddings don't just happen, they require lot's of planning and most people aren't giant d-bags like me-they buy presents more than 24 hours before they show up to watch their ex get hitched (with their new beloved on their arm).

Anyway, you will do better selling to the public than to shops and refiners. If you go to shops or places that "buy gold and silver for cash!!!!!" you will get a percentage of the value and an explanation involving the cost of business, the economy etc. If you sell to the public you will get closer to the actual value or possibly even more.

Here's a story:

About 10 years ago, my dear mother decided to get rid of one of the two china sets she got for her wedding. This is also about when I started getting migraines with frequency...

Anyway, I listed the stuff on eBay in sets (Dinner plate, dessert plate, soup bowl...etc) and charged average shipping. I also threw a buy it now option on there and put a thing on it that said if they bought all the sets I had listed I'd combine shipping and if they did buy it now, I'd waive shipping altogether. Someone spent $2,000 on china all because I ate the $140 it cost to overnight it to New York. I got paid 30 seconds after the auctions ended and UPS refunded me the $140 because the UPS driver didn't pick the box up from the UPS store until AFTER it was supposed to have been delivered.

The moral of the story is that if you need quick cash, there are a million places that will buy the stuff but if you want the most money for it, eBay is your best bet.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 PM

Thanks everyone.

I've got it all listed on Ebay now.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:25 AM

120 posts, read 236,854 times
Let us know how you come out. I also have a set I need to sell. I don't have a "reputation" on EBay so don't know if anyone would bid on it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area