Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:11 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,437,352 times

Advertisements

Well, I wish Tim Scott would go represent another State. I am one of the "Crazy Liberal Union Voters" and will never join these pipe smokin tea party conservatives here in the Low Country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 11:38 AM

3,592 posts, read 4,359,855 times
Because it's just the tea party that supported Tim Scott... From what I've seen, Tim seems to be a good representative for SC and in many ways is better than the guy he's replacing. That said with the full understanding all politicians are sold to the lobby. Of course the only people I can see (at least in my mind's eye) smoking a pipe are the far liberal downtown Coastal Conservation League members.

I personally don't know much about unions. Never really understood in today's age why I need someone to represent me. I've represented myself to employers my whole career. My labor has value, because I make it have value. Something my dad told me long ago: "Job security isn't about working one place your whole life, job security is being able to get a job you like when you want a job." I'm very happy to live in a "Right To Work" state. Now, I'm perfectly open to changing my POV if you can explain it to me.

Last edited by IsNull; 01-11-2013 at 12:50 PM..

Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,962,514 times
Coastalbum, what about your job are you unhappy with? What is it that would prompt you to support a union?

Old 01-11-2013, 04:56 PM

870 posts, read 1,988,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Well, I wish Tim Scott would go represent another State. I am one of the "Crazy Liberal Union Voters" and will never join these pipe smokin tea party conservatives here in the Low Country.
You should have voted for someone else then...

Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Coastalbum, what about your job are you unhappy with? What is it that would prompt you to support a union?

I am a Southern Democrat. I work for Federal Government and we have a Union.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 AM

3,592 posts, read 4,359,855 times
Quote:
I'm not sure that really answered the question.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:53 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,962,514 times
It didn't.

In a former life I worked for the Federal Government as well.............I didn't join their union.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM

My dad worked for the federal government for many years. He did it overseas in remote areas. He hates the internet because it allowed Washington to micromanage them for the first time ever. That should tell you something...

Old 01-15-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Ok, here's your answer:
The union protects us in this silly right to work state. The Union pushes for raises for us, benefits, better schedules, more protection from management, advancement, better work environments. Representation if there is a conflict / fight / suspension/ shooting at work.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Ok, here's your answer:
The union protects us in this silly right to work state. The Union pushes for raises for us, benefits, better schedules, more protection from management, advancement, better work environments. Representation if there is a conflict / fight / suspension/ shooting at work.
Raises and benefits should be based on performance not bullying from a larger group of employees.
Shifts need to be worked. Someone needs to work them.
There are LAWS in place to protect from abuses by management and poor working conditions. Those laws may have come into effect because of unions but would not disappear if unions did.
So if you are union and the person you have a conflict with is union, does the union represent both? Whose interests do they protect? Whose side are they on? Who do they represent in a shooting? The dead? The families? The shooter if he was an employee/union member? Who do they represent those people against? The employer for "allowing" it to happen?

If you think SC is silly, why live here? I won't tell you to go elsewhere because it isn't my place but there is a lot of coast line in the US and much of it is union friendly. You could be a "coastal bum" somewhere less silly that isn't represented by someone you disagree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area