Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 03:05 PM

31 posts, read 59,098 times

Advertisements

i am starting to feel a little hopeless! i live in little ol' anderson, sc..... not my favorite place to be. restaurant town with no good jobs and poor schools..... i'm looking into charleston, and finding some nice places, but everywhere i look, as soon as i tell someone i found a nice place, they start crying crime. saying, "charleston is a horrible place to live! there are SOME good spots, but if you find a good price, you're looking in the wrong place." they also say that for the price of a 3 bedroom home in anderson, i can get a 1 bedroom apartment. i'm sorry, but anderson is super high in their prices. a 3 bed place here is around 900-1000.... and that's not a nice apartment.

am i completely out of my league here? is it really that bad? and what areas should i be looking in? i know the whole, "don't even go near north charleston or james island..." but they won't tell me the good areas! (and the schools, no matter where there are in charleston, are still better than here.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 03:11 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,126 times
it all depends on what you're used to

Old 01-16-2013, 03:16 PM

31 posts, read 59,098 times
i grew up in uganda..... armed guards on our compound (big walls with glass cemented to the top, surrounding our home,) things being stolen from your car while you're sitting in it, mob justice..... really, i'm ok with pretty much anything (lol!) but what about custody.... would a judge say my kids would be safer here in anderson, or in charleston? (not that i'm asking legal advice. lol! just trying to see what people feel about the cities.)

Old 01-16-2013, 03:29 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,737 times
Hopeful, even that wasn't your background, you'd find no troubles here. It's very easy to locate safe places to live, because that's the vast majority of places. Charleston is a small city with a wonderful vibe. There's a place for anyone to be at peace.

There is a terrific thread started here from a mother looking for an apartment for her son. She catalogs her experiences and tells about lots of places they visited, I'm heading out the door or I'd link it for you. Use search and see if you can't bring it up.

Good luck, and have fun when you visit

Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
The information you are being given in Anderson is about bass ackwards, there are some bad spots but most isn't that bad....

For under $1000.00/month you could find a nice little house in Summerville which has one of the better overall school districts in the state. This isn't going to be a McMansion or a brand new house on a big lot.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulinanderson View Post
...they also say that for the price of a 3 bedroom home in anderson, i can get a 1 bedroom apartment. i'm sorry, but anderson is super high in their prices. a 3 bed place here is around 900-1000.... and that's not a nice apartment.
They say this...they say that. Stop listening to people that don't know what they are talking about. Make a trip or three to the Charleston area and find out for yourself.

I know someone who lives in a condo/aptmt that is 3br/2ba with elevators that pay in the price range you suggest above...and get this...that's in Mount Pleasant and in a great area...easily the "safest" area around Charleston.

The people you are talking to haven't a clue.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 PM

27 posts, read 72,526 times
Check Greenridge Road in N Chas. Its near the mall. I lived there. Apts run about 600-700 for a 1bd, 800-900 for a 2. They're fairly nice, the crime in that area is NOT the typical N Chas crime you hear about, North Charleston's true crime craphole is the South end, below 526. You wont end up there, I promise, you would know as soon as you drive through it.

Greenridge area is a lot like Anderson, Spartanburg. Blue collar folks, fairly nice. As long as you aren't out making a drug deal at 2am, you'll be fine. I lived at Jamison Park and Coopers Point, both next to each other on Greenridge, for almost 8 years and the worst thing I ever had happen was someone backed into my car and drove off once.

Its a great spot if you are on a budget, but want to move to the Charleston metro, and dont wanna dodge bullets every day.

Im from the upstate SC, (Woodruff), and found Greenridge Road to be great for the first few years of living there.

Thats my advice. Jamison Park Apts, Coopers Point, and a new one that just went up. Just drive down that rode, you cant miss 'em they are all lined up on the left.

When people say AVOID NORTH CHARLESTON they are speaking mostly of the ****holes on the South end.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:20 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,949 times
There is more crime here than where I am from, but it's not like you have to stay locked in your house. I fell perfectly safe in the area I am in. As far as rentals, you will be able to find something you can afford in a decent area. I pay under $900 for a 2 bedroom townhouse in Mount Pleasant, so don't believe everything "they" tell you.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:54 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
There is more crime here than where I am from, but it's not like you have to stay locked in your house. I fell perfectly safe in the area I am in. As far as rentals, you will be able to find something you can afford in a decent area. I pay under $900 for a 2 bedroom townhouse in Mount Pleasant, so don't believe everything "they" tell you.

(since it won't let me 'rep' you)

Old 01-16-2013, 10:34 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
There are three 3br 2ba houses in my neighborhood for rent at $995/month...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area