Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 03:51 PM

27 posts, read 72,490 times

Advertisements

I commented on what I thought they were a while back, when they were just in the dirt clearing and framing phase. I was wrong...but it turned out to be worse than what I thought they were.

WHAT ON EARTH is the deal with the hideous, ugly, tacky sheds with "Carolina Park" painted on them popping up all along Hwy 17 in Mt Pleasant? Its awful, and comical, and really kinda creepy in a Stepford Wives kinda way. It kinda looks like one of the overblown, tacky Myrtle Beach area subdivision entrances a little bit. But then also looks kinda like a tourist trap, something you'd see driving into the App mountains on the roadside.

I have no idea what the town or developer was thinking with those abominations, but they look awful. Massive eye sores. That whole northern section of Mt P is getting kinda bizarre in the Stepford way. I much prefere Southern Mt P near downtown. That part of Mt P is great, feels very "normal" like the rest of Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM

27 posts, read 72,490 times
I also drove on Rifle Range from Six Mile to Hamlin today while at work. Saw the area they are building the next massive subdivision "Oyster Point", which is underway. WOW. What a traffic nightmare that is gonna be. They're dropping another 1,000 or more cars in THAT area? Rifle Range can't be widened. Well, it could, but what a nightmare traffic project that would be.

The MtP mayor and council sold their souls to developers long ago, and now, the residents are gonna suffer.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:58 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucs90 View Post
I have no idea what the town or developer was thinking with those abominations, but they look awful. Massive eye sores.
I agree. I'm pretty disappointed that these were approved.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:11 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
These are suppose to be advertising for Carolina Park -- instead of billboards. They look ridiculous.

Haven't driven Rifle Range past Seaside Farms in months. I didn't know they had started the Oyster Point already. Rifle Range is gonna be a mess.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:06 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucs90 View Post
They're dropping another 1,000 or more cars in THAT area? Rifle Range can't be widened. Well, it could, but what a nightmare traffic project that would be.
They can and should make Rifle Range a 4 lane with turning areas and a traffic circle at Hamlin. Take Dingle Rd and connect it to Riffle Range. The 4 lanes needs to run at least from Porchers Bluff to the IOP connector. If they could carry it down to Venning then it would easily tie into Hungry Neck. Those things would eliminate soo much traffic off 17. The real issue is between Porchers Bluff Rd and Longpoint.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 AM

192 posts, read 409,255 times
We drove back into "Carolina Park" last week when we were prowling around. I agree that the sheds look ridiculous. Once you are back in there it is a veritable maze of roads and signs of "things to come". Nothing being built really. I questions whether this is a good time to add a huge community to the area (and I don't even live in the area). We turned right around...very unimpressed.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum23 View Post
We drove back into "Carolina Park" last week when we were prowling around. I agree that the sheds look ridiculous. Once you are back in there it is a veritable maze of roads and signs of "things to come". Nothing being built really. I questions whether this is a good time to add a huge community to the area (and I don't even live in the area). We turned right around...very unimpressed.
What you saw in Carolina Park is a result of a couple of years of going through bankruptcy. That has all been cleared and construction has begun. The two neighborhoods that have started are building in full force. Can't imagine anyone saying nothing is being built. They have even started on the amenities center...that should say something about where the development is headed. There is only one main road in & out of Carolina Park. If you got lost in the "maze", you should think twice before venturing off of Hwy17. LoL

Why wouldn't this be a good time to add a community to the area? The new hospital is up and running, and the road construction is nearly complete.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:39 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum23 View Post
Not sure exactly what's driving it, but there's a number of housing developments either underway or going thru the approval process right now in the Charleston area. Traffic is going to be horrific in a few years if they don't start improving infrastructure such as completing I-526.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:36 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
These days 17 is sometimes a better drive than Hungry Neck.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:46 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Not sure exactly what's driving it, but there's a number of housing developments either underway or going thru the approval process right now in the Charleston area. Traffic is going to be horrific in a few years if they don't start improving infrastructure such as completing I-526.
My mother was riding a city bus about a week ago and the driver mentioned stops being added to Carolina Park because a bunch of retail is being added in there as well. I haven't heard anything more about that, but I'd love to know if that's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area