Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 03:42 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are pretty sold on MP for possible retirement. We are coming down in March to look around some more, though, and feel we owe it to ourselves to look at John's Island and James Island so that we don't feel like we missed something.

All we know is that John's Island is more "rural" and James Island has mostly older homes, and is closer to Folly Beach and downtown Charleston. We've read that both have crime issues.

Ideally, we'd like a newer home, but realize that may not be possible, especially on James Island.

Can anyone point us to a few subdivisions on each to check out?

Our budget is @250K-300K, 3BR/2BA. We need a small yard for our dog, and a community that will allow a 6' privacy fence. We don't have children, so schools or proximity to schools are not important. What is important to us is proximity to the necessities - grocery, gas, pharmacy, shops and restaurants and safety. As we age, we don't want to be "out in the boonies", or worried about walking late at night with the dog.

We don't care one way or another about amenities, but sidewalks would be great for walking the dog, and walking trails/parks would be a bonus.

Our style? We love, love, love Daniel Island, but unfortunately can't afford it. We live right now is a New England seaport town, so are used to closeness of houses. It doesn't bother us, we actually find it kind of comforting to have our neighbors near. Yard size will be the issue - 5,500 - 6K sq ft yard (back yard) would be the minumum for the doggie.

Suggestions that have been made to us are Ocean Neighbors, Stiles Point Plantation and Seaside on JI, and Villages in St. Johns Woods on John's Island.

We don't have a lot of time, so want to make sure we make the most of it. We are only there for 4 days, so would like to have a plan to visit maybe 3 subdivisions on each island. Is there a cental shopping area on each, or are the shops/restaurants spread out?

Would appreciate any and all suggestions, as well as descriptions as to the "flavor" of each island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 08:10 PM

5 posts, read 12,579 times
Default James or johns

Stiles Point Plantation could fill your needs very well. It is bounded by Charleston Harbor, and has some very unique properties. As to price, there are so many bank owned properties that you can even find a home or two in Eastwood on James Island at that price. And perhaps on Daniel Island as well. Find a REALTOR who is really familiar with an area, preferably on who lives on each island. If they listen to you they should be able to set up several showings of houses that meet most of your criteria and show them to you in about a day for each Island. In so far as value retention, Daniel Island might be your best bet. Even Mt. Pleasant. Short sales are still a way of life in the Charleston area, so keep an open mind and expect to find just what you are looking for... Good hunting..

Old 01-27-2013, 09:02 AM

547 posts, read 1,196,207 times
you should look at Swygert's Landing

Old 01-27-2013, 06:05 PM

115 posts, read 222,010 times
Swygert's Landing is a great development. I convinced my son to buy there about 2 years ago. The house appreciated in a down market. They are openning a new phase there now.

Take a real estate agent with you!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:19 AM

547 posts, read 1,196,207 times
that new phase is going gangbusters right now and we're not even into Spring yet. 20 pre-sales before we even took delivery of phase 2 lots. Haven't seen it like this since 05. What I am really finding to be a breath of fresh air is people aren't looking for the biggest house they can afford but rather more modest sq ft with nice finishes and energy efficient features.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 AM

6,419 posts, read 1,427,778 times
There are many nice, new communities on John's Island , brand new homes next to the Stono River (Maybank & River Rd area). This is pretty close to get to downtown right over the Bridge and to the beaches. Also, this is the busier part of John's Island, the other end is more rural. They will soon improve the intersection at River & Maybank Rd. In the near future, when I-526 is complete it will be a 10 minute drive downtown or 10 mins to Citadel Mall or North Charleston.

Last edited by Serenity2019; 01-28-2013 at 08:54 AM..

Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 AM

313 posts, read 708,989 times
If I had to move here again, I would buy a place in Johns Island. I live in West Ashley and work in Mt Pleasant.

We looked into selling our house in West Ashley and buy in Johns Island last year but we would have taken too big of a hit on our house. So that is on hold.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:57 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,016,626 times
I'd recommend Swygert's Landing and Villages in St. John's Woods, on John's Island.
I think you hit the nail on the head with James Island.

You'll likely still end up settling in Mt. Pleasant though, if you've already fallen in love with how it's laid out, area amenities, proximity to the beaches, etc. The island have a much different feel/flow than Mount Pleasant, but there are certainly some terrific neighborhoods to be found there.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 AM

6,419 posts, read 1,427,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
I'd recommend Swygert's Landing and Villages in St. John's Woods, on John's Island.
I think you hit the nail on the head with James Island.

You'll likely still end up settling in Mt. Pleasant though, if you've already fallen in love with how it's laid out, area amenities, proximity to the beaches, etc. The island have a much different feel/flow than Mount Pleasant, but there are certainly some terrific neighborhoods to be found there.

Yea, a much more down to earth feel on the islands, without any snootiness and gigantic SUV's everywhere, and being closer to the real beach. (Folly)

Old 01-28-2013, 04:27 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Yea, a much more down to earth feel on the islands, without any snootiness and gigantic SUV's everywhere, and being closer to the real beach. (Folly)
This is my one problem with Mt. Pleasant. It gives me a vibe of the Northeast that I originally came from. Places like James Island and Johns Island feel distinctly different to me but we each have our own tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area