Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 AM

19 posts, read 49,400 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My husband's employer has notified my husband that he will need to relocate to SC for business sometime within the next year. We currently reside in Birmingham, MI (a suburb of Detroit) and couldn't be more excited to move to warmer weather! However, with that being said, I know nothing about the area (which is scary within itself to move somewhere you know nothing about!) We are looking for somewhere that is like our home now (only warmer). Our wish list would be- culturally diverse, with lots of good places to eat, great schools and a great community feel. Just to give everyone some insight about our family, I am Asian-American, my husband is Irish and we have a 1 year old daughter. We are definitely looking for somewhere that we can fit in well and call home.

I've read a ton of these posts on the forums, but really couldn't find any information from residents of the Cane Bay Plantation area. We looked at some houses for sale in that area and it seems like it has a great community feel, as well as beautiful outdoors areas and good schools. It's a little farther from the city and beach, which I don't mind, but would definitely like some input about this plantation in general. My husband and I are looking for something with a community feel, since he will mostly be working from home. We are very friendly and definitely want to be making friends in our new home. Can anyone give me any info about Cane Bay, as well as their schools?

Also, any info in general about Summerville or Mt. Pleasant? Or another plantation community that someone can recommend? Or are plantation areas not a good idea? Is there another area that would best suit us?

Thank you so much in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
Try looking at Cane Bay from an aerial map view. It will give some perspective to the development & relative location. I find it isolated, though others say it has all you need, self-contained.

Last edited by joyeaux; 01-29-2013 at 10:42 AM..

Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
The term "plantation" simply means neighborhood. There are countless subdivisions around here that have that word in their name. They aren't necessarily actual, old plantations. People say good things about Cane Bay I believe.

We like it Mount Pleasant. From the northern end of the town where we live, we can be anywhere else in the town in 20 minutes or less, we can be on Isle of Palms in about 10 minutes, and downtown is around 25 minutes. Anything closer to the south and those times shrink. We have good-to-decent grocery stores (4 Harris Teeters, 3 Publix, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods). Dining options in the town are good, and of course downtown Charleston is accessible from anywhere in the area. People are nice and the traffic isn't bad.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,244,311 times
Cane Bay is really far from Charleston, in my opinion. If the job is in Charleston proper or even in North Charleston I would consider something like Mt. Pleasant, West Ashley or perhaps Daniel Island.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 AM

My husband will mainly be working from home, so we can move to any area around Charleston. I would rather move to an area where I will have a bit more of a community to be able to meet people and make friends. I've read that Summerville and Mt. Pleasant have the best schools. Any thoughts on the Cane Bay Schools? We also are looking around Mt. Pleasant, since it's close to the city and beach, but are finding the housing to be in the higher price range. (Which is ok too!) We are just wondering what would be a better fit for the family as far as which is more culturally diverse, wide range of shopping/restaurants and family friendly and wanted to grab some input on that as well

Old 01-29-2013, 12:05 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
What is your housing budget, that will be a major determining factor?

Old 01-29-2013, 12:19 PM

Our housing budget is up to $250k. We are also interested in the West Ashley area. After looking up Cane Bay on the map joyeaux was right. It is slightly too rural for us. We are looking for a place that has a nice community feel and stuff to do.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:26 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,244,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving4work View Post
I've read that Summerville and Mt. Pleasant have the best schools. Any thoughts on the Cane Bay Schools?
You can go here to the SC Board of Education to see how each school stacks up against the others:

2012 State Report Card - South Carolina Department of Education

Also, as far as diversity goes the farther you go from the center of Charleston the less diverse it becomes. SC is largely a rural state.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:35 PM

Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
You can go here to the SC Board of Education to see how each school stacks up against the others:

2012 State Report Card - South Carolina Department of Education

Also, as far as diversity goes the farther you go from the center of Charleston the less diverse it becomes. SC is largely a rural state.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:01 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Try looking at Cane Bay from an aerial map view. It will give some perspective to the development & relative location. I find it isolated, though others say it has all you need, self-contained.
Cane Bay is on the cusp of becoming it's own little self-contained community.

There is a METRIC CRAP TON of development preparing to be unleashed up there around the Carnes Crossroads/Cane Bay area.

And if that's not enough it's a relative stone's throw from both Goose Creek AND Summerville.

Also ... look into Dorchester District 2 schools. Best district and great communities in the North Charleston/Summerville area. Wescott, Windsor Hill, King's Grant, Appian, White Hall etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area