Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 PM

103 posts, read 217,958 times

Advertisements

I am new to town and seriously considering registering for the Cooper River Bridge Run on April 6th. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on the run (i.e. is it a strenuous 6.2 miles, is it mostly competitive or a mix of everything, etc). I am 27 and in good shape, but have never done any kind of organized run, let alone a 10k, so just curious if I would make it to the finish line

Any input on your experiences would be great!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,916 times
It's awesome!!!!! Do it!!!!! It's a huge event about 35-40 thousand people do it...all levels and abilities... I moved here last year just before it and did it! There are tons of walkers and strollers... The only strenuous part is going over the bridge, but it's fun! You can do run/walk if you want. Unless you are one of the elite runners in the first corral, it is not competitive, just fun!

Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM

Here's my thread from last year https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ridge-run.html

Old 01-29-2013, 06:06 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,957,301 times
Apply early if interested.

You can run the bridge at any time to get a feel for what you'll be up against.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,218 times
If you want to get on the bridge to check it out, take a right on Mathis Ferry coming out of where you live, go through 3 roundabouts, take a right on Wingo Way at the light just before 17, go just past the line of palm trees and park under the bridge to the left there. You will need to put some money in the self pay machine to park there. I think it is 50 cents and hour. From there you should see the walkway that takes you to the base of the bridge.

It took me a long time to learn how to get on the bridge to walk it. My brother actually figured it out when he came for a visit last summer.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:45 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,292 times
I haven't done it (this is my first year living here), but it's a very popular race with tens of thousands of people, so be prepared for crowds. It's really more of a social event than a race, and there are a lot of walkers as well. As far as competitive goes, I guess it's competitive if you want to be competitive, but fun if you want to be fun.

I do love running over the bridge and while it looks a bit overwhelming, you get used to it pretty quickly, as a runner. It's the closest thing we have to a hill here so I run it a pretty good bit.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 AM

193 posts, read 394,292 times
I've run the race a few times, and I've run the bridge on my own tons of times. The race has very competitive people at the start (yep, we get Kenyans and Ethiopians and such - it's wonderful to watch the awards at the end to see just how big this race really is). But there are tons of noncompetitive people too. You should not, in any way, be intimidated that you are too slow to do this race. I promise. Just make sure you ARE aware the bridge is a good hike up and down - you go up the steep side (from Mt P to downtown) so I do recommend doing a couple of practice runs.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 AM

Just posted on facebook

Cooper River Bridge Run
Only 14,500 regularly priced entries left! Have you registered yet?
Like · · Share · 34 seconds ago ·

Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 AM

132 posts, read 239,894 times
My brother is flying in to visit and for the run. We were planning on cheering him on at the finish line - does that mean we have to cross into downtown hours before the race starts? Little brother may be SOL for cheerleaders if that's the case :P

Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarburton View Post
My brother is flying in to visit and for the run. We were planning on cheering him on at the finish line - does that mean we have to cross into downtown hours before the race starts? Little brother may be SOL for cheerleaders if that's the case :P
Only if you want to find parking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area