Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 04:36 AM

17 posts, read 35,802 times

Advertisements

My wife and i plan on moving to charleston area in the next few months. we currently live nearr columbus ohio and we have vacationed to SC 4 timea in the past 3 years and love it. I was wondering what areas are bad or have a high crime rate on james island. we really like it there and need to know if its a good place to live. My wife is 24 and a womans retail clothing store manager and i am 26 and been landscaping for 5 years now and we have no kids. We want a place to rent that is in a pretry safe area on james island not too expensive. any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times
Most of James Island is safe and just fine. I would suggest you check out Riverland Terrace (the oldest neighborhood on JI) and any of the subdivisons off Harbor View Rd are fine too with good access to the downtown and Folly Beach. Most of the subdivisions off Ft Johnson Rd are good too. I wouldn't suggest actually living right on either of these roads though, as they are both busy roads. Harbor View Rd is scheduled to be rebuilt in the next couple of years.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:51 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Camp road area is one bad spot and Flemming Road area is another.....

Old 02-02-2013, 05:34 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,638,340 times
Just ride around and look for your self,,,,you can tell.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
I live off of Harbor View and enjoy the great access as noted by ZUMAN. The northern tip of JI (actually in Charleston city limits) would be a good choice but there are great spots on JI and depending on where you are, very close to Folly Beach.

Intersections (general areas) I prefer to AVOID include Camp Rd & Dills Bluff Rd, Ft Johnston Rd & Dill's Bluff Rd; areas around Fleming Rd as was mentioned. Also, Grimball Rd & Folly Rd, Sol Legare Rd.

[quote=ZUMAN;28058012]Most of James Island is safe and just fine. I would suggest you check out Riverland Terrace (the oldest neighborhood on JI) and any of the subdivisons off Harbor View Rd are fine too with good access to the downtown and Folly Beach. Most of the subdivisions off Ft Johnson Rd are good too. I wouldn't suggest actually living right on either of these roads though, as they are both busy roads. Harbor View Rd is scheduled to be rebuilt in the next couple of years.[/quote]

Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 AM

6,419 posts, read 1,427,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Camp road area is one bad spot and Flemming Road area is another.....
This is way too general to tell him.

Most all areas on James Island for an apartment will be fine. Crosscreek Apartments are very reasonable , in a good location and safe. So, are the apartments off Folly road next to Publix Grocery. Very safe, reasonable and good location.

Camp road has some very nice neighborhoods on it and runs all the way through James Island. Most of it is fine. You would just want to Avoid Camp and Dills Bluff, or Ft. Johnson Rd and Dills Bluff. There are no apartments there anyway.
Most of Fleming Road is businesses, but it is not safe to live in an apartment there, so stay away from there.

Like the Captain said, you could drive around when you get here and see the bad areas for yourself. Just remember to drive by at night too on the weekend and see what is happening.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:53 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
North of Maybank Highway or inside Charleston Country Club and the neighboring Charleston Country Club ll are good. That is where I lived. It isn't as quiet as it could be though. The noise from Maybank Highway and Folly Road seems to carry.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:10 PM

3 posts, read 21,047 times
Default Riverland Terrace

There is a house for rent in Riverland Terrace like 50 feet from the Boat ramp, that I just saw. Pretty cool location with a back yard. I actually thought about moving there myself but I live on a tidal creek right now and cant give that up lol. If you want the number I can drive by tomorrow and get it for you. let me know...

Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 21,047 times
I should say that I moved here from Wisconsin about 3 years ago and James island is great in it location and all in all it is safe. The places you most likely will be renting will not be in a place you need to worry about. What took getting used to for me is that for instance in my neighborhood I have a $700,000 home next to me, my house is a ranch rental across the creek is a million dollar home and three blocks away there are a couple of trailer homes. So its what I like to call Eclectic. One more thing and this is the strangest one of all James island and Mount pleasant have the most Grocery stores Per Capita that any other place in the USA. Its True! within 5-7 minutes I can get to 8 major grocery stores! Good luck to you!

Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 PM

128 posts, read 243,863 times
What wrong with Dills Bluff Road and Camp Road area? We have lived close to this area since May and never had and problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area