Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
The Police should only be called if the folks are breaking a law...such as a noise ordinance.

Otherwise...DO NOT call the Police to come enforce an HOA rule. That is NOT their job.
Aint that the truth.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 04:57 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,283,582 times
Quote:
The Police should only be called if the folks are breaking a law...such as a noise ordinance.

Otherwise...DO NOT call the Police to come enforce an HOA rule. That is NOT their job.
It could be a law. Occupancy max is for fire safety purposes isn't it? Is there some kind of housing authority here?

Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,245,746 times
I would just ask the management to either allow you to move into another unit, or get out of the lease and rent a house.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 AM

31 posts, read 59,119 times
Quote:
What is that age?

LoL
may have stated that wrong. lol! i meant to say that it is preferable at a certain age.... there is no law, BUT when dss gets involved, it could become something an issue (they like to see 5 or 6 year olds in rooms with their own gender...) i would STRONGLY recommend NOT calling dss though. ha!

definitely take pictures or explain to the management that you want a different apartment. is the lease being broken by management by not helping rectify this?

Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 AM

7 posts, read 10,069 times
I don't think it's a job for the police. I may look into calling the housing authority. As far as a crib for the baby, they don't have much furniture at all. They moved in using a Chevy Impala. When they leave the blinds open, you can see how empty it is. They no longer have a car, haven't had one for over a month. When they did we could see them clearly coming and going as they parked in front of our patio door (3 kids in the back seat, two adults up front, whoever was in the passenger seat held the baby wrapped in a blanket). Now we would have to be looking out our front door to see them come and go. This morning the mom walked 2 of the kids to the bus stop while someone was still home upstairs, then a while later someone left in a cab, so it's harder now to see them all leave together. There is one girl and 3 boys (one is the infant). Apparently the girl and one boy are school age, and the other boy isn't. I hate to be the crazy neighbor keeping tabs on them, but now that I know they've been lying to management I'm even more sick about it. The noise continues.

Maybe a call to DSS for a welfare check? Would they be able to document how many are living up there?

Old 02-08-2013, 08:03 AM

31 posts, read 59,119 times
if they are riding around with a baby NOT in a carseat i would NOT hesitate calling dss.... but that's VERY dangerous and i am a proponent for babies being in carseats until they can't breathe!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:47 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,679,579 times
You have to do what's right for you in this situation. My first move would be to work with management to get moved into another unit. Many many MANY (sigh) years ago when we were a young family we moved from one apartment to another for a similar reason.

Personally I would be hesitant to displace a family with such small children that clearly don't have much of anything, and would want to try whatever I could to resolve the situation without making life unbearable for either their family or my own. That may not be possible, and obviously it would seem unfair to have to move when you have done nothing wrong. It's just the route that I would take.
I wish I had some good advice for you. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2013, 11:18 PM

870 posts, read 1,679,588 times
Only the management has the right to do anything. Even if you called the police for a noise violation, the number of occupants (as far as the police are concerned) is not breaking the law..only building managements policy.

Your only choice is to insist that the management move you into an unoccupied apartment or let you out of the lease early or a "threat" against their inaction to properly address the situation would be in order. You have no rights to go after the family unless it's a noise complaint and at that, your not going to solve your issue.

You also need to keep in mind that, if in fact they have too many occupants, it is a very very long process for the management company to evict them. We own rental property and found out that our tenant was subletting and had pets (was not allowed to per
lease)...needless to say, after 6 months of legal action and $5k legal fees later, we got rid of him. I'm going to guess that if your neighbors are paying rent on time, the management company is NOT going to take legal action against them.

Last edited by klysik; 02-08-2013 at 11:37 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 639 times
Angry 3 adults, 3 children- 925 sq feet

It's mayhem. The mother of three doesn't drive, doesn't work. She lives with her parents. Doors slam, screaming, crying, and fighting. I have a little girl. We try to be respectful. There huge t.v. is on and blares all day long. Please help.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:02 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,610,281 times
Just a long shot, but are there occupancy regulations for the city like Fire Codes? Code compliance or a fire department inspection might offer documentation for the managment company. Other than that, I think you are SOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area