Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 06:46 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,289,095 times

Advertisements

My husband and our married son are going to the gun show in Ladson next weekend and our son would like to purchase a shotgun. Are there any places to go where can shoot the gun to make sure it is working properrly after you buy it. There are gun ranges here but of course you can't shoot your shotgun off there. Thanks for the info in advance.
Patty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 06:59 AM

870 posts, read 1,987,913 times
Outdoor ranges in Bethera and Awendaw. Free. Open from sun-up to sun-down. Bring your own targets.

Bethera:

Go to Moncks Corner on either 17-A or 52 and get on 17-A heading North out of town toward Jamestown (over the bridge through the traffic light go right when forks off to stay on 17-A). You will see a sign for Bethera a few miles down, turn right and just stay on that road until it hits a T intersection and the range is right in front of you. After you turn, you will pass a school.

Awendaw:

17 North from Mt Pleasant. It's out there but you will eventually see a sign on the left for Twin Ponds Rifle Range. Turn left and then parking is on the right in a dirt lot.

The other easy way to make sure a shot gun will shoot is to get a Remington 870.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Don't purchase a gun at a gun show, you do not know what you are getting.

It is a seller's market right now, and people are paying a lot for firearms that just is not justified.

Be a smart shopper, shop local with a gun shop. Brick and mortar is the best way to conduct business.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:30 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Don't purchase a gun at a gun show, you do not know what you are getting.

It is a seller's market right now, and people are paying a lot for firearms that just is not justified.

Be a smart shopper, shop local with a gun shop. Brick and mortar is the best way to conduct business.
They don't neccesariilly have the gun you want always.

Also there are several gun show vendors. They own gunshops in other areas, they just travel to gunshows to "expand" their market, and do in fact sell alot of new brand new in a box guns.

Just an FYI, I was looking at a specific gun. It sells new in box for about $370. I have seen it from different sellers 3-4 different times. I went to 2 local gun shops, neither carried it, but one carried pretty much the exact gun, sold under a different name(manufacturer thing), but is usually $40 cheaper then the brand name version. They were selling the gun for $450. $80 more then the internet and gunshows, and its not even as "nice" as the name brand version.

and don't act like the gun stores are enjoying this seller's market right now either. I am hoping to go their but if the price gouging is bad, I will leave.

What kind of shotgun was he looking for? I have considered picking one up because the rest of gun stuff have gotten crazy.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:33 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,289,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post

Also there are several gun show vendors. They own gunshops in other areas, they just travel to gunshows to "expand" their market, and do in fact sell alot of new brand new in a box guns.

Just an FYI, I was looking at a specific gun. It sells new in box for about $370. I have seen it from different sellers 3-4 different times. I went to 2 local gun shops, neither carried it, but one carried pretty much the exact gun, sold under a different name(manufacturer thing), but is usually $40 cheaper then the brand name version. They were selling the gun for $450. $80 more then the internet and gunshows, and its not even as "nice" as the name brand version.

and don't act like the gun stores are enjoying this seller's market right now either. I am hoping to go their but if the price gouging is bad, I will leave.

What kind of shotgun was he looking for? I have considered picking one up because the rest of gun stuff have gotten crazy.
He's wanting a Remington 870.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post

You are barking up the wrong tree. This is my industry.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
You are barking up the wrong tree. This is my industry.
Oh so buy from people like you or its junk

I know gunshows are not always the best place and best price. But do you not agree there are not several gun dealers there selling new in box guns?

for the OP
Boggy Head Rifle Range
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/scnfs...7389&actid=106

Twin ponds Rifle Range
Francis Marion and Sumter National Forests - Twin Ponds Rifle Range

Old 02-10-2013, 01:15 PM

We see people every single day who have bought at a show and have been hoo-doo'ed. Who is to say one is a licensed dealer. People who frequent shows are doing nothing more than looking for a "deal", they could care less who they by it from. And there even those out there who assume that just because one is selling at a show they are "legit" above board and surely not a traveling gyspy.

When you buy from a local brick and mortar you have someone to hold accountable. You can walk in their doors, should you have issues and get resolution. Gun shows don't offer that.

With that said...there isn't alot available right now, so the chances of getting taken advantage of have increased incredibly at this point.

So yes.....support your local business for MANY reasons or in this scenario get stuck with crap and don't go crying to the local shop when you get sold a pile of tin.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:18 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
You can shoot a shotgun at ATP indoor range, but they allow buck shot only, it is $5.00 and hour and only about 10 minutes from the gun show....

As for buying junk at the gun show that is hog wash, I have bought and sold from gun shows...

Old 02-10-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
You can shoot a shotgun at ATP indoor range, but they allow buck shot only, it is $5.00 and hour and only about 10 minutes from the gun show....

As for buying junk at the gun show that is hog wash, I have bought and sold from gun shows...
I think its the opposite, I think they only allow slugs, not buckshot(worried it will hit the guide line on the target)

I fired a Mossberg at ATP awhile back.

And my New in box from an FFL dealer pile of tin I picked up at the ladson fairgrounds, has over 1,000 rnds through it and operates great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area