Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:34 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,197 times

Advertisements

Are there any laws that transplants should be aware of that are good/bad in the state/city?

Anything of note?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 03:38 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,111 times
It is illegal to own playing cards or dice. It is also illegal to play any game using them in an outhouse, field, tavern, barn, kitchen etc etc etc ...

No ... I'm not joking :

South Carolina Gambling Laws

SECTION 16-19-40. Unlawful games and betting.
If any person shall play at any tavern, inn, store for the retailing of spirituous liquors or in any house used as a place of gaming, barn, kitchen, stable or other outhouse, street, highway, open wood, race field or open place at (a) any game with cards or dice, (b) any gaming table, commonly called A, B, C, or E, O, or any gaming table known or distinguished by any other letters or by any figures, (c) any roley-poley table, (d) rouge et noir, (e) any faro bank (f) any other table or bank of the same or the like kind under any denomination whatsoever or (g) any machine or device licensed pursuant to Section 12-21-2720 and used for gambling purposes, except the games of billiards, bowls, backgammon, chess, draughts, or whist when there is no betting on any such game of billiards, bowls, backgammon, chess, draughts, or whist or shall bet on the sides or hands of such as do game, upon being convicted thereof, before any magistrate, shall be imprisoned for a period of not over thirty days or fined not over one hundred dollars, and every person so keeping such tavern, inn, retail store, public place, or house used as a place for gaming or such other house shall, upon being convicted thereof, upon indictment, be imprisoned for a period not exceeding twelve months and forfeit a sum not exceeding two thousand dollars, for each and every offense..

Old 02-15-2013, 06:37 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,602 times
Charleston allows beer and wine sales on Sunday. Most of SC doesn't, I believe only 7 counties do.
Liquor stores are heavily regulated by the state.
Motorcyclists are not required to wear helmets.
Drivers are not required to stop for a school bus if it is on a 4 lane road with a median if traveling in the opposite direction of the stopped bus.
This is a conceal carry state.
You can't have alcohol on public beaches. This now includes Folly Beach.
As OldTomCat pointed out recently, you're still allowed to beat your wife on the court house steps on Sunday.

Other fun laws:
http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-...arolina?page=0

Old 02-15-2013, 06:41 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,916 times
Am I allowed to drive barefoot here?

Old 02-15-2013, 07:03 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
Am I allowed to drive barefoot here?
Yes

Old 02-15-2013, 07:06 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,245 times
My favorite law, and I'm pretty sure it's a law, is that alcohol MUST be involved with every activity

Old 02-15-2013, 11:25 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,053,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
My favorite law, and I'm pretty sure it's a law, is that alcohol MUST be involved with every activity
HAHA! Don't forget Charleston was voted for one of the drunkest cities. Hey, Charlestonians like to have fun!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:33 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
HAHA! Don't forget Charleston was voted for one of the drunkest cities. Hey, Charlestonians like to have fun!
Correct!

Old 02-15-2013, 12:24 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Charleston allows beer and wine sales on Sunday. Most of SC doesn't, I believe only 7 counties do. A lot more allow it now, city by city town by town they are overruling this law.
Liquor stores are heavily regulated by the state. No biggy here most states are this way, but you can buy beer and wine in the grocery stores..
Motorcyclists are not required to wear helmets. Absolutely not true, if you are over 21yo you do not have to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle on the street, I don't think seatbelts should be a law either but that is just the Libertarian in me...
Drivers are not required to stop for a school bus if it is on a 4 lane road with a median if traveling in the opposite direction of the stopped bus. You forgot the other part of this law that says that school buses are not allowed to let kids out to cross that four lane road they have to go around to the other side of the road, so it doesn't make any sense to stop traffic on the other side of the road...
This is a conceal carry state. Absolutely nothing at all wrong with this law, it should be this way throughout the country....
You can't have alcohol on public beaches. This now includes Folly Beach. Here we actually agree this is stupid...
As OldTomCat pointed out recently, you're still allowed to beat your wife on the court house steps on Sunday. This one is just down right funny, lets see you try it....

Other fun laws:
http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-...arolina?page=0
Above in red...

Old 02-15-2013, 12:49 PM

14 posts, read 17,632 times
Can I go bact too saying you guys ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area