Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 AM

119 posts, read 301,310 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
I recently had an interview at the VA that I felt went very well.
Anyone have any idea how long before I'll hear anything?

I have heard that the "on boarding" process can take quite a long time. One person even recommended I don't turn in notice to my current job right away after I accept the offer (if given) because on boarding can take so long. I also heard that things can sometimes "go wrong" during on boarding and they sometimes revoke their offer of employment. Is this true??? YIKES!

Also, I have heard that the initial offer doesn't include your actual salary, that your salary offer is determined later by a peer review process. Is this true? If so, how do I make a decision to accept the offer if I don't know how much I'm to be paid? How can I turn in notice to my current employer without knowing that? What if they come back too low and I decide I want to stay in my current position?

I should add that this is for a Nurse Practitioner position, and that I've never served in the military or federal govt. I did, however, do a clinical rotation for my NP at the Brooklyn VA, so I've been in the system before, and I remember the reams of paperwork I had to fill out just to be a student there. That being said, I loved my rotation at the VA and loved being able to serve those who have served us, and would be honored to do so again.

Can any current/former RN or NP VAMC employees provide any insight?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 10:18 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
Wait and be patient. If those in the system are telling you to not resign your current position until you get all the info you need, then don't resign. Upon completion and accepting of all terms of employment ask if they will allow you two weeks.

Giving a two week notice is done out of courtesy. Nothing says you are obligated to giving a notice. As someone who has owned several businesses with employees I can say it IS nice to have notice, but I certainly can not require it and often did not get it.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:41 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Be very patient. Currently the VA is hiring-transferring from within and those who have served our Country. They are also filling positions with those who have retired from the System, looking for less hours but want to work in some capacity.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:07 AM

Thanks all for the info. I'm just sittin' tight, waiting to hear back.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:11 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP2B View Post
Hello all!
I recently had an interview at the VA that I felt went very well.
Anyone have any idea how long before I'll hear anything?

I have heard that the "on boarding" process can take quite a long time. One person even recommended I don't turn in notice to my current job right away after I accept the offer (if given) because on boarding can take so long. I also heard that things can sometimes "go wrong" during on boarding and they sometimes revoke their offer of employment. Is this true??? YIKES!

Also, I have heard that the initial offer doesn't include your actual salary, that your salary offer is determined later by a peer review process. Is this true? If so, how do I make a decision to accept the offer if I don't know how much I'm to be paid? How can I turn in notice to my current employer without knowing that? What if they come back too low and I decide I want to stay in my current position?

I should add that this is for a Nurse Practitioner position, and that I've never served in the military or federal govt. I did, however, do a clinical rotation for my NP at the Brooklyn VA, so I've been in the system before, and I remember the reams of paperwork I had to fill out just to be a student there. That being said, I loved my rotation at the VA and loved being able to serve those who have served us, and would be honored to do so again.

Can any current/former RN or NP VAMC employees provide any insight?
Thanks!
Any job with the federal gov't can take a long time. The longest part of the process is between when you apply and when they officially "select" you. That can take 1 month to 12 months (I should know).

But usually, once you are officially selected it would be probably a maximum of 60 days before you start assuming that you provide them with all the info they need in a timely manner. I think they run a background check on you during this period to determine your eligibility too, e.g. verifying education, work history, etc. Any hiccups in that area could stall things.

As far as salary goes, I think it depends on the agency you work for. Being in the healthcare profession things might be completely different. But in general you will be notified of your starting salary upon selection. I've been offered positions with the fed three times and all three times the amount that I was offered in the notice of selection email from HR was the amount that I actually started at. The email will say something like "Congratulations! You have been tentatively selected as a Nurse Practitioner at GS-11 step 1 with a starting salary of $57,000 per annum. Please reply to this email within 3 business days with your decision to accept or reject." Then, what you can do is reply to that selection notice and say that you "accept pending salary negotiations." Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't but it's worth a shot.

Good luck.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:25 PM

"Tentative offer" extended and accepted today "pending salary negotiations." !!!!!!
Was told credentialing and "on boarding" can take up to 2 months though so no start date yet!
Thanks for all the advice y'all!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP2B View Post
"Tentative offer" extended and accepted today "pending salary negotiations." !!!!!!
Was told credentialing and "on boarding" can take up to 2 months though so no start date yet!
Thanks for all the advice y'all!
Congratulations! Patience is key. But, it doesn't hurt to follow up with the hiring manager or HR person every couple of weeks either. Make sure everything is still moving along.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,282 times
I got a job offer from VA awaiting boarding process, I am lpn 8 plus years who knows much will be my salary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area