Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 03:14 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,044,946 times

Advertisements

Anyone in Mt. P use a pro lawncare service (ChemLawn, Scott's, etc)?
The sod our builder's landscaping company (Pleasant Places) used is full of weeds and I'm wondering if it's worth the cost to hire out the lawn care service or DIY?
If you use a service, what do you pay? What's that include? Are you happy with the service and most importantly, how big of a difference has it made?

Also, still looking for a solution to the noseeums....Someone's got to have something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 05:22 AM

55 posts, read 111,321 times
Hi Lenniel. I've never used a company but I can tell you that the DIY route is pretty reasonable. All you really need is a drop spreader (or a broadcast spreader) and remind yourself to apply the treatments a few times per year. Scotts website has reminder tools (customized by region) to email you when your lawn needs it. I've been doing this myself for years but this year is the first year I've lived in the south so the grasses are much different than I'm used to and that also means application schedules are different too. I put down one application of pre-emergent fertilizer back in February and the already the difference between my lawn and my neighbors is very pronounced. The stuff *does* work if used correctly. Usually you'd put down that pre-emergent early (around Feb/March) then ~ 8weeks later you follow with a different kind of fertilizer and then periodically after that as needed.

The pro companies use a liquid fertilizer which they spray from a truck. The problem with this (at least in my experience from the northern grasses) is that they become more dependent on the frequent applications, have shallow root structures because of it, and when you stop the service the grass looks shabby really quickly.

to give you an idea of how effective it can be, here's a before pic of my old house back up north:
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/66/174...6cb58e0a_z.jpg

after 3 years, religiously applying the fertilizer system (and painting the shed LOL):
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3306/3...c8a2f519_z.jpg

I love nice grass, so for me its kind of like a little mini-hobby. My (resale) house we just bought in DW had somewhat neglected grass (a few bare patches, some compacted areas, etc) so its going to be a challenge to get it back to top shape.

I recall you living in dunes west. if so, I have a drop spreader you can borrow if you want to give it a try yourself. With a drop spreader you have to be careful to overlap each pass otherwise you will see green grass with not-so-green strips where there was not adequate coverage with fertilizer. PM me if you want to borrow it.

Good luck!

Old 04-29-2013, 07:04 AM

870 posts, read 1,989,286 times
I'm not sure, I do my own yard work except for my annual leafectomy which I usually turn into a gathering of friends or just pay someone way too much to do before the holidays.

What I would suggest would be to ask your neighbors or drive around a nearby neighborhood not under construction and look for pro companies working on yards that look really good and stop and ask for a card.

As for noseeums...the only way to get rid of them is to move...to Alaska. Unfortunately, you live in a very humid area and there isn't much that can be done to get rid of them altogether. I've had some limited success keeping flying things off my back porch with citronella candles and the like but that only works while the thing is lit.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:57 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,300,063 times
[quote=maltomario;29338802] I've never used a company but I can tell you that the DIY route is pretty reasonable.. . I've been doing this myself for years but this year is the first year I've lived in the south so the grasses are much different than I'm used to ... so its going to be a challenge to get it back to top shape. /QUOTE]

maltomario,
Do keeps us informed on how this works out for you. I was where you were for years before we hit the sand, & heat & pests of the South. D-i-f-f-e-r-e-n-t deal down here.
Grass seed doesn't take like on LI & underground irrigation system is the only way to consistently hydrate which is needed here.
So good luck mm, & let us know.

BTW, Possum's has been a great resource for us: Possum's Landscape & Pest Control Supply

Old 04-29-2013, 11:23 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,656,168 times
I just use weed and feed.

Something to bring up. Do you use a lawn service? Or mow your own lawn. Big issue I have heard, is if you pay someone to mow a lawn, they travel all over mowing every type of lawn and every type of weed, then come mow yours and drop pollen/seeds/pieces, whatever on your lawn helping the weeds spread.

Same thing for lawn services that spray the lawn. They walk all over bad lawns with their equipment then contaminate your lawn.

I just buy a like 5 bags of scotts weed/feed over a year, and seems to do well.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:34 PM

870 posts, read 1,989,286 times
Also, don't "scalp" your yard when you mow. It may seem counterproductive BUT grass grows up and weeds grow out. If you use a decent weed and feed (like Scotts) and let the grass grow one or two height settings up from the lowest, then the grass will choke out the weeds instead of the other way around.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:25 PM

3,593 posts, read 4,362,003 times
The height of the grass depends on the type of grass. Some are meant to be kept low. St. Augustine is 1-3" and centipede 1.5-2" depending on mowing frequency. Bermuda can be maintained at .5", but has to be moved more than once a week during summer. Zoysia 1-2".

Old 10-27-2013, 07:13 AM

Hey guys (gals?)

My quest for a nice lawn continues.....I've had some quotes from lawn maint companies (not mowing, etc, only lawn care) that ranged from about $550-$700/year for about 7 applications. From what people are saying, I can do it for less than half that as a DIY.

I've come to terms with mowing my own yard instead of paying $600+/yr to have that done so I figure I can do the 4-5 weed/feed, etc applications as well.

So, question right now is, what product are you all applying now (late Oct) and where did you get it? I spoke with Possums and they have what I need but wondering if Lowes or Wallyworld sells essentially the same product? (Possums closed on Sunday).
Thanks y'all

Old 10-27-2013, 07:39 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,964,526 times
What you apply will be determined by what weeds you have.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
What you apply will be determined by what weeds you have.
An assessment I had just says "crabgrass, nutsedge, poa amura,"
Recommendations: "pre-emergent, weed/insect (mole cricket, fire ants) control, iron, fertilize in spring"

Does that help Cape?

I know it's the easy way out, but hoping Scott's or someone has an all-in-one product I can apply?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area