Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 02:00 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,031,429 times

Advertisements

This photo was taken our last night in the Charleston area. We took a harbor tour, and after we disembarked, I turned to see this beautiful scene. It epitomizes for me what low country is - beautiful, serene, magical. We had a great trip.

Thanks again to everyone who answered endless questions. We accomplished what we wanted to, which was to rule in/out certain areas for future retirement. We kept an open mind, and left no stone unturned.

For what it's worth, here is what we did. I've gleaned lots of info. from reports of others to the area, so I am hoping that this will be helpful in some way to others....

We stayed at the Old Village Post House, which is where we stayed our last trip, which was just a long weekend. We were there this time for 6 days. We love OVPH. The location is perfect for exploring, the rooms are comfortable, and the food is outstanding.

Sunday from the airport we drove first to Summerville, and then to Carnes Crossroads. We wanted to make sure that we covered every area that our 300K max budget would allow. We wanted to "what ifs" and "I wonder" after our return home.

Although Summerville was adorable, we felt that for what we want (to be close to the water), it was not a fit for us. Very cute downtown, and beautiful historic homes on the drive in. Not a fan of Dorchester Rd., but in fairness, there was construction going on. We felt the same way last visit of Mount Pleasant, with Rte. 17 when there was construction going on.

Carnes Crossroads also was not for us. I know now why people had told me "it's out in the middle of nowhere". There also is not much in the development, and the houses are very close together with small yards - at least what we could see.

Monday our realtor took us on a another tour of Mount Pleasant, pointing out things that are important to us, and where they are. We saw Park West, Carol Oaks, Charleston National and Belle Hall. We loved Carol Oaks - it was our favorite from a lot of different perspectives - housing styles and cost, but after much consideration, we still want to try and end up South of IOP. Our second choice of Monday was Belle Hall. Lots to choose from, and some homes on the lower end of the budget.

From MP we drove over to Johns Island, to see Cottages at Johns Island, St. Johns Crossing, and Swygert's Landing. I loved all 3. The style of the houses - that Southern Low Country style - and the beauty and quiet of Johns Island really touched me. It is amazing the amount of house you can get for your money on John's Island. Our favorite development was Swygert's Landing. Beautiful homes, large lots and green space. We went in the model and it was gorgeous. My one concern was the lack of amenities on Johns Island. I saw a grocery nearby, a gas station, a pharmacy, know there are some great restaurants, but not much more than that. The lack of development is both a blessing and a curse.

Tuesday we headed to James Island and West Ashley. I liked James Island. It seemed like a mix of Mount Pleasant and Johns Island in that there is commercial development, but here is also open land, and beautiful scenery. We visited Ocean Neighbors, Seaside, and Terrabrook. I liked them all, but Terrabrook was my favorite. We also drove down to Folly to have a look. Very funky and fun. Appears the road in though would be a real bear in the summer.

In West Ashley we saw Avondale and Windermere, which I could easily live in. Absolutely beautiful areas. But out of our range. We saw Carolina Park, which I had not liked much on the internet but liked a lot in person, and Boltons Landing, then on the way back, swung into Shadowmoss and Village Green. I liked Shadowmoss the best. Beautiful grounds and large lots. Mix of houses, some needing updating. My favorite area in the development was Ainsdale. Adorable cottage style/craftsman homes. West Ashley was very busy though. Lots of traffic. It was raining, so perhaps it seemed worse than it was. The developments of Boltons Landing, Shadowmoss, and Boltons Landing seemed a bit far out, but we timed it to Shem Creek and it was about 25 minutes.

Wednesday we decided to go back to Mount Pleasant and see as many subdivisions as we could that had prices @ our price range. Some a bit higher just so we could see if our budget could increase what we could get.

We started North and then moved down one side of 17. Which by the way is much better than out last trip. What a difference not having the construction. My husband remarked how quickly things get done and how nice it was to see the nice old fashioned streetlights in the median along with landscaping. That would never happen where we live now in MA.

We hit Carolina Park, which we liked a lot. Got there too early, and so models were not open. Decided not to wait, as didn't want to get into a sales discussion. Nice development though. Hard to tell how large the yards were.

Drove back to Park West and decided it is just too big for us. Drove again through Carol Oaks and Ivy Hall. Still in love with Carol Oaks.

Drove through Rivertowne (beautiful) and Planters Pointe, and decided both are too far out. Drove through Brickyard, Longpoint and Snee Farm. Brickyard is beautiful, but above our budget and we weren't as taken with it this time. Didn't care for Longpoint, but loved Snee Farm. Gorgeous land and homes. A bit pricey for us, especially if the homes need reno, which it seems a lot might.

Drove to a couple of subdivisions off Whipple Rd - Candlewood, Glenlake and Landings Run. Not for us.

Our GPS died, and we tried to find a Radio Shack and somehow ended up in Hamlet Square. Love, love, love. Just my style. Out of our price range though.

Found a Walmart and bought a new GPS (I'm starting to "get" how nice it is to have all these conveniences at hand). Drove back to Belle Hall and around a bit. Added it to our possibles list.

Enough driving, back to the inn for a glass of wine and some dinner.

Thursday we drove the other side of 17 via Rifle Range - a beautiful road - and hit Oakhaven (very cute), Cassina Heights (didn't care for this - seemed dark and didn't care for the chain link fences).

Drove up to Sweetgrass (loved it), Quail Hollow (not so much), Waters Edge (loved the mature trees and quiet feel of this neighborhood), Chadbury Village (very sweet, cute homes, only 3 streets with a pond, fountain, and poop bag dispenser - love it!) and Sweetgrass Village, which is all new homes. Quite large and large lots. Unfortunately no model yet, and a lot are sold already.

Just for fun we drove up to Hamlin Plantation (gorgeous) - we saw only the Madison section, but such a beautiful place. Just way out of budget. On up to Charleston National again. Decided it is too far out for us.

Drove back down toward OVPH and saw Pinckney Place on the way back. Very cute, but didn't strike my husband as much as some of the others. A bit pricey for us also.

Thursday night took a harbor cruise from the marina on Patriot's Point road. It had rained all day and lots of thunderstorms, but was a beautiful night. Gorgeous sunset. Nice ending for our last night.

Friday we drove over to Daniel Island - just because. We still like it but SO out of our price range. We were tired and hungry, so stopped for lunch at Laura Albert or Abbott, can't remember. Delicious. Hit the spot.

Since we were already in the area, decided to drive up to The Retreat at Beresford. As people on this board told me, Clements Ferry is not a pretty road, and is very busy with lots of truck traffic. The development is cute. We especially liked the first part. The homes further in are beautiful, but for us, as we age, with a dog, the raised houses are not what we feel would work.

Flew home Friday after going in the morning to Towne Center to check out some stores and poke around Barnes and Noble. Really nice shopping area.

We ate most of our meals at Village Post House so we could have a glass of wine and just relax and walk upstairs to bed. Expensive, but it is our one vacation this year, so we decided to treat ourselves. We took lots of leisurely walks around the Old Village before and after dinner which was nice.

We ate lunches out - ate at Brix with our realtor (great salads!) at the Shops at Belle Hall, Mustard Seed, and Paiges Okra Grill. All were really great.

We've got lots to think about, but came away thinking how special this area really is, and how it grabs your heart. It's just so beautiful. And that's not even counting Charleston, which we didn't make it to (been there before, just didn't have time this trip).

We also came away thinking there's something here for everyone. Given our needs and wants we think we may concentrate on Mount Pleasant. As much as we loved Johns Island and thought we wanted the quiet, we also want to convenience of things nearby - 24 hr vet, hospital, shops, etc. As we age, we want to drive less and less. It's a bit crazy with the driving! But we are used to a small city of 17K!

We think perhaps the compromise will be to find a quiet subdivision close to shopping. We liked that Belle Hall has shops just across the street, as does Sweetgrass. We also loved how the shops are "hidden" by trees. It seems there is a real effort to make things attractive. We really loved that little pocket where Sweetgrass, Waters Edge, and Chadbury are. It seems perfect for us - close to the beach, close to 17, close enough to the hospital and 24 hr vet, close to downtown. And if we look hard and settle for a smallish home - @ 1,400 - 1,500 sq ft think we can find a nice place to live.

The other thing that struck us about this area was how genuinely friendly people were. Everyone we talked to was very nice and forthcoming and helpful. Many, many people offered up their names and phone numbers if we "thought of any questions". That would NOT happen where I live.

After an afternoon thundershower on Thursday, we felt the heaviness of the air, and know that it must be difficult in June, July and August. But it's a trade-off we are willing to make t of cold andobe rid of the ice which will become more difficult - especially with a dog to walk - as we age.

We were remarking as we drove from our inn to the airport - 15 minutes of easy driving - what a nice change! Between Charleston being a hop, skip and a jump, the airport nearby, the quality and abundance of medical care, the stock and variety of housing, the myriad of things to do, the water, and the physical beauty of each area, we were awed.

You all live in a beautiful place with so much to offer. We hope to become part of it one day soon! Thanks again to everyone for your help in answering our many questions. Sad to leave, can't wait to come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 04:24 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post

This photo was taken our last night in the Charleston area. We took a harbor tour, and after we disembarked, I turned to see this beautiful scene. It epitomizes for me what low country is - beautiful, serene, magical. We had a great trip.

Thanks again to everyone who answered endless questions. We accomplished what we wanted to, which was to rule in/out certain areas for future retirement. We kept an open mind, and left no stone unturned.

For what it's worth, here is what we did. I've gleaned lots of info. from reports of others to the area, so I am hoping that this will be helpful in some way to others....

We stayed at the Old Village Post House, which is where we stayed our last trip, which was just a long weekend. We were there this time for 6 days. We love OVPH. The location is perfect for exploring, the rooms are comfortable, and the food is outstanding.

Sunday from the airport we drove first to Summerville, and then to Carnes Crossroads. We wanted to make sure that we covered every area that our 300K max budget would allow. We wanted to "what ifs" and "I wonder" after our return home.

Although Summerville was adorable, we felt that for what we want (to be close to the water), it was not a fit for us. Very cute downtown, and beautiful historic homes on the drive in. Not a fan of Dorchester Rd., but in fairness, there was construction going on. We felt the same way last visit of Mount Pleasant, with Rte. 17 when there was construction going on.

Carnes Crossroads also was not for us. I know now why people had told me "it's out in the middle of nowhere". There also is not much in the development, and the houses are very close together with small yards - at least what we could see.

Monday our realtor took us on a another tour of Mount Pleasant, pointing out things that are important to us, and where they are. We saw Park West, Carol Oaks, Charleston National and Belle Hall. We loved Carol Oaks - it was our favorite from a lot of different perspectives - housing styles and cost, but after much consideration, we still want to try and end up South of IOP. Our second choice of Monday was Belle Hall. Lots to choose from, and some homes on the lower end of the budget.

From MP we drove over to Johns Island, to see Cottages at Johns Island, St. Johns Crossing, and Swygert's Landing. I loved all 3. The style of the houses - that Southern Low Country style - and the beauty and quiet of Johns Island really touched me. It is amazing the amount of house you can get for your money on John's Island. Our favorite development was Swygert's Landing. Beautiful homes, large lots and green space. We went in the model and it was gorgeous. My one concern was the lack of amenities on Johns Island. I saw a grocery nearby, a gas station, a pharmacy, know there are some great restaurants, but not much more than that. The lack of development is both a blessing and a curse.

Tuesday we headed to James Island and West Ashley. I liked James Island. It seemed like a mix of Mount Pleasant and Johns Island in that there is commercial development, but here is also open land, and beautiful scenery. We visited Ocean Neighbors, Seaside, and Terrabrook. I liked them all, but Terrabrook was my favorite. We also drove down to Folly to have a look. Very funky and fun. Appears the road in though would be a real bear in the summer.

In West Ashley we saw Avondale and Windermere, which I could easily live in. Absolutely beautiful areas. But out of our range. We saw Carolina Park, which I had not liked much on the internet but liked a lot in person, and Boltons Landing, then on the way back, swung into Shadowmoss and Village Green. I liked Shadowmoss the best. Beautiful grounds and large lots. Mix of houses, some needing updating. My favorite area in the development was Ainsdale. Adorable cottage style/craftsman homes. West Ashley was very busy though. Lots of traffic. It was raining, so perhaps it seemed worse than it was. The developments of Boltons Landing, Shadowmoss, and Boltons Landing seemed a bit far out, but we timed it to Shem Creek and it was about 25 minutes.

Wednesday we decided to go back to Mount Pleasant and see as many subdivisions as we could that had prices @ our price range. Some a bit higher just so we could see if our budget could increase what we could get.

We started North and then moved down one side of 17. Which by the way is much better than out last trip. What a difference not having the construction. My husband remarked how quickly things get done and how nice it was to see the nice old fashioned streetlights in the median along with landscaping. That would never happen where we live now in MA.

We hit Carolina Park, which we liked a lot. Got there too early, and so models were not open. Decided not to wait, as didn't want to get into a sales discussion. Nice development though. Hard to tell how large the yards were.

Drove back to Park West and decided it is just too big for us. Drove again through Carol Oaks and Ivy Hall. Still in love with Carol Oaks.

Drove through Rivertowne (beautiful) and Planters Pointe, and decided both are too far out. Drove through Brickyard, Longpoint and Snee Farm. Brickyard is beautiful, but above our budget and we weren't as taken with it this time. Didn't care for Longpoint, but loved Snee Farm. Gorgeous land and homes. A bit pricey for us, especially if the homes need reno, which it seems a lot might.

Drove to a couple of subdivisions off Whipple Rd - Candlewood, Glenlake and Landings Run. Not for us.

Our GPS died, and we tried to find a Radio Shack and somehow ended up in Hamlet Square. Love, love, love. Just my style. Out of our price range though.

Found a Walmart and bought a new GPS (I'm starting to "get" how nice it is to have all these conveniences at hand). Drove back to Belle Hall and around a bit. Added it to our possibles list.

Enough driving, back to the inn for a glass of wine and some dinner.

Thursday we drove the other side of 17 via Rifle Range - a beautiful road - and hit Oakhaven (very cute), Cassina Heights (didn't care for this - seemed dark and didn't care for the chain link fences).

Drove up to Sweetgrass (loved it), Quail Hollow (not so much), Waters Edge (loved the mature trees and quiet feel of this neighborhood), Chadbury Village (very sweet, cute homes, only 3 streets with a pond, fountain, and poop bag dispenser - love it!) and Sweetgrass Village, which is all new homes. Quite large and large lots. Unfortunately no model yet, and a lot are sold already.

Just for fun we drove up to Hamlin Plantation (gorgeous) - we saw only the Madison section, but such a beautiful place. Just way out of budget. On up to Charleston National again. Decided it is too far out for us.

Drove back down toward OVPH and saw Pinckney Place on the way back. Very cute, but didn't strike my husband as much as some of the others. A bit pricey for us also.

Thursday night took a harbor cruise from the marina on Patriot's Point road. It had rained all day and lots of thunderstorms, but was a beautiful night. Gorgeous sunset. Nice ending for our last night.

Friday we drove over to Daniel Island - just because. We still like it but SO out of our price range. We were tired and hungry, so stopped for lunch at Laura Albert or Abbott, can't remember. Delicious. Hit the spot.

Since we were already in the area, decided to drive up to The Retreat at Beresford. As people on this board told me, Clements Ferry is not a pretty road, and is very busy with lots of truck traffic. The development is cute. We especially liked the first part. The homes further in are beautiful, but for us, as we age, with a dog, the raised houses are not what we feel would work.

Flew home Friday after going in the morning to Towne Center to check out some stores and poke around Barnes and Noble. Really nice shopping area.

We ate most of our meals at Village Post House so we could have a glass of wine and just relax and walk upstairs to bed. Expensive, but it is our one vacation this year, so we decided to treat ourselves. We took lots of leisurely walks around the Old Village before and after dinner which was nice.

We ate lunches out - ate at Brix with our realtor (great salads!) at the Shops at Belle Hall, Mustard Seed, and Paiges Okra Grill. All were really great.

We've got lots to think about, but came away thinking how special this area really is, and how it grabs your heart. It's just so beautiful. And that's not even counting Charleston, which we didn't make it to (been there before, just didn't have time this trip).

We also came away thinking there's something here for everyone. Given our needs and wants we think we may concentrate on Mount Pleasant. As much as we loved Johns Island and thought we wanted the quiet, we also want to convenience of things nearby - 24 hr vet, hospital, shops, etc. As we age, we want to drive less and less. It's a bit crazy with the driving! But we are used to a small city of 17K!

We think perhaps the compromise will be to find a quiet subdivision close to shopping. We liked that Belle Hall has shops just across the street, as does Sweetgrass. We also loved how the shops are "hidden" by trees. It seems there is a real effort to make things attractive. We really loved that little pocket where Sweetgrass, Waters Edge, and Chadbury are. It seems perfect for us - close to the beach, close to 17, close enough to the hospital and 24 hr vet, close to downtown. And if we look hard and settle for a smallish home - @ 1,400 - 1,500 sq ft think we can find a nice place to live.

The other thing that struck us about this area was how genuinely friendly people were. Everyone we talked to was very nice and forthcoming and helpful. Many, many people offered up their names and phone numbers if we "thought of any questions". That would NOT happen where I live.

After an afternoon thundershower on Thursday, we felt the heaviness of the air, and know that it must be difficult in June, July and August. But it's a trade-off we are willing to make t of cold andobe rid of the ice which will become more difficult - especially with a dog to walk - as we age.

We were remarking as we drove from our inn to the airport - 15 minutes of easy driving - what a nice change! Between Charleston being a hop, skip and a jump, the airport nearby, the quality and abundance of medical care, the stock and variety of housing, the myriad of things to do, the water, and the physical beauty of each area, we were awed.

You all live in a beautiful place with so much to offer. We hope to become part of it one day soon! Thanks again to everyone for your help in answering our many questions. Sad to leave, can't wait to come back.
Thanks so much for sharing! Your post was very helpful and included lots of info. I really appreciate when people share their experiences. Glad you enjoyed your trip. Good luck!

BTW, the pic isn't showing up.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:32 PM

Yeah, just noticed. Obviously I've never posted a pic here before so don't how to do it - LOL. Can anyone explain?

Old 05-25-2013, 04:33 PM

Old 05-25-2013, 04:58 PM

859 posts, read 1,367,548 times
Thank you for the beautiful remembrances, and for reminding me what a treasure it is to live here! Sounds like you saw everything you set out to see, and are narrowing down your choices!

Old 05-25-2013, 06:15 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,058,066 times
That is a beautiful picture. It sounds like you really covered all the bases when you were down here- literally. Not too surprised your GPS died because you drove all over the area, but at least you knew for sure before settling with MTP.

I really wish we'd done more looking around in our first visit- we really only looked in West Ashley, but I wish we'd gone with a different apartment complex. Hopefully you'll have fewer what-if's than us .

Glad you tried some local food too!

Old 05-25-2013, 06:39 PM

My one regret is that we did not see more of Johns Island. But next time down we will. I do think it will mean more driving than we want to be doing - now and into our elderly years - LOL.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:02 AM

I forgot to mention - when we took the harbor cruise, we picked it up at the same place where you get the Charleston Water Taxi.

I hadn't known until then that this existed. What a great way to go over to Charleston.

It seems the more we look, the more we come across with Mount Pleasant. It seems to offer so much.

Just came across the Trolley info on the MP website. That also is a great idea. Although this was our second trip and we knew the area a bit, what a great way to get the "lay of the land" so to speak. We do hop on/hop off trolleys everywhere we travel just for that reason.

Also just discovered Shem Creek Park (via the website). So much to see and do. And so much nearby - Kiawah, Savannah, Hilton Head. I think we could save a ton of money by taking day trips and not having to vacation far! Perhaps only for some time up North in the heat of the summer...

Next trip out we will visit the parks. We're interested in kayaking also, so see what's available for lessons, etc.

And of course will visit during July and August to get a dose of reality!

Old 05-26-2013, 09:47 AM

97 posts, read 171,957 times
I love all of your views! As always, very helpful!!

Old 11-09-2013, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,693 times
Thank you so much for your wonderful and detailed description of the Charleston area! My husband and I are in our 50's with our dog, and hope to move there within the year, but due to knee replacement surgery, we will have to wait until he is able to get around better (hopefully in a month or two). We are originally from NY and PA, so we are excited about moving South. We are nervous about moving to an area that we know so little about, and we didn't know where to begin looking. You seem to be looking for exactly what we would want for the rest of our lives! Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area