Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:41 AM

308 posts, read 1,042,266 times

Advertisements

New to the forum... was surprised to see # of people with same dilemma. Our family of 5 is transferring from Indiana to the Charleston area. These forums have been helpful, but I'm still debating between Summerville & Mt Pleasant. Just when I decide (based on responses) on one, I see a comment to go for the other. It sounds like the school systems are comparable, (Wando & Summerville H.S.), but you can get more home for the $ in Summerville... so, I'll ask a couple of questions I've not yet seen: My daughters play soccer and basketball, and one would like to pursue a career in acting. Does this in anyway make one area stronger than the other? I would also like to find a church with a great youth group for them. Thanks so much for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 11:50 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,023,060 times
Both areas have a tremendous amount of churches and church youth groups available. There's really no way to select one over the other in that category.

So we move to Girls Soccer. Wando High School girls team, in Mt. Pleasant are currently ranked #1 I believe. They seem to have an excellent girls program over there and plenty of facilities available to them for tournaments and the like.

Here's the athletic page for Wando Wando Athletics (http://www.wandohigh.com/athletics/index.htm - broken link) .

Also, Wando seems to have a very good reputation for it's Performing Arts, Drama Dept., and classes/clubs. I'd check into their page as well to be sure. Wando High Drama

Last edited by DJShymansky; 09-02-2007 at 12:04 PM..

Old 09-02-2007, 03:11 PM

308 posts, read 1,042,266 times
Thanks so much - this is very helpful! I just shared the school links with my daughter (who is fighting the move), and she seems more open to it now!

Old 09-02-2007, 04:03 PM

Glad to help. You'll all love it down here!

Old 09-02-2007, 07:05 PM

890 posts, read 4,329,420 times
Summerville High School has an outstanding athletic program. The varsity football team is ranked in the top 25 in the nation. SHS offers top-notch academic and student life opportunities that feature four foreign languages, 11 Advanced Placement course options and 48 student clubs and organizations, including drama. There is something for everyone! Summerville High School - SUMMERVILLE HIGH SCHOOL (broken link)

Summerville also has a local theater with performances from The Flowertown Players that is open to the community to encourage and promote the performing arts. Home Page - The Flowertown Players (broken link)

Last edited by scjj; 09-02-2007 at 08:22 PM..

Old 09-04-2007, 11:56 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,467,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth1104 View Post
New to the forum... was surprised to see # of people with same dilemma. Our family of 5 is transferring from Indiana to the Charleston area. These forums have been helpful, but I'm still debating between Summerville & Mt Pleasant. Just when I decide (based on responses) on one, I see a comment to go for the other. It sounds like the school systems are comparable, (Wando & Summerville H.S.), but you can get more home for the $ in Summerville... so, I'll ask a couple of questions I've not yet seen: My daughters play soccer and basketball, and one would like to pursue a career in acting. Does this in anyway make one area stronger than the other? I would also like to find a church with a great youth group for them. Thanks so much for any help!
Just one quick thought: If the temperature in the summer makes a difference to you I think Mount Pleasant may be cooler because it gets the sea breezes -at least that is what I gather. I haven't personally experienced summer weather yet in the Charleston area because I'm waiting to sell my house before I move down there.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:39 AM

64 posts, read 306,420 times
There could be a higher price for the sea breeze and that will be higher insurance due to being closer to the ocean in respect to hurricanes. I know nothing about what the differences are but it is worth looking into and could be a consideration.
I know your daugher is important to you and that is not to be ignored. But, when she goes off to University in a couple of years make sure it is what YOU want because it is you that is going to have to live with the decision for years to come...

Old 09-05-2007, 07:05 AM

890 posts, read 4,329,420 times
The mention about breezes (or the lack thereof) in Summerville has been brought up before, so this summer I made sure to pay particular attention to it. I can assure you that Summerville had many breezes during the summer, in fact, it was quite frequent. So I do not believe that living in Summerville is any less breezy or hotter than anywhere else in the Charleston metro area.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:22 PM

24 posts, read 98,172 times
Frankly I wish we stayed west working on taking my family back to the west coast.

Summerville: Plantations, wetlands, bugs, lizards, snakes and frogs. No shopping. Same restaurants on every block.

Mount Pleasant: More shopping, built on a swamp, bugs, traffic jams.

The exact same house, exactly will cost 200K more in My. Pleasant than Summerville.

The best of the worst. That is a hard one. For activity it would be Mt. Pleasant. For subdued life. Summerville.

Charleston and it suburbs are all outrageously priced for the area.

Well, if you are from the midwest you just might like it.

West coast people I wouldn't advise relocating. Vast difference between the two coast. Cultural wise, people, bad business ethics, food.

Some political figure is always in hot water.
May have great schools, but a lot of crime in Charleston.

It is like they are finally stepping out of the stone age and just don't get it, yet.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:48 PM

Sorry to hear you've had such a rough time and have developed a general dislike of the entire Charleston area. I wish you good luck in moving back west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area