Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:23 PM

73 posts, read 158,862 times

Advertisements

Just curious of where people get their dogs from. I am thinking about getting a couple of puppies in the next couple of months and curious where the best places to get them. My preference is a full breed lab, retriever, or german shepherd. Most shelters I've looked at in the area dont have many full breed puppies. I look at craiglist also. Just wondering if there are places around the area I dont know about, or if someone knows a dog breeder. I will consider other breeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 03:28 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,244,603 times
Lowcountry Lab Rescue

Old 05-28-2013, 03:30 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,667 times
Charleston Animal Society!

I'm fostering kittens from CAS. They have a LOT of animals right now. If you are looking for something specific and you don't see anything on the adoption floor, ask the staff because there might be a puppy in foster care coming available for adoption. What they have on the adoption floor is only a smidget of animals in their system. They are located on Remount and have a fb page and website. I know you said you checked out shelters but if you didn't ask them, give them a call and see if a breed is coming up for adoption soon. But you are right, you'll probably not get a full-breed but it doesn't hurt to ask, if you haven't already.

I've only gotten my dogs from shelters but never full breed. I have a lab/chow mix and terrier mix.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:32 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,333,322 times
Well I have purchased three dogs since I have lived in the low country; one way back when I first bought my home was from the ASPCA shelter in Summerville, she was a great mixed bread husky and either border collie or some other smaller hearding dog; the second one was a full bread Chocolate lab from a breader up in Orangebug county found them through Post and Courier, third was a mixed bread from another shelter...

Old 05-28-2013, 03:34 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,817 times
the pound - one was 8 weeks old and one was 2 years old

Old 05-28-2013, 05:38 PM

142 posts, read 270,238 times
Charleston Animal Society, both dogs, a 25 lb. beagle mix, and a 120 lb. Rhodesian/Coonhound mix (probably has some dane, etc. too). There's a lot of available rescues for particular dog breeds (coonhounds, lab, greyhound, etc.) Regardless, adopt a dog, save a life.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:45 PM

73 posts, read 158,862 times
Thanks for the replies. I found lowcountrypaws.com has alot of options I was looking for.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:28 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
I prefer the pound and applaud of you for adopting your dog or cat from them. You can also find pure bred rescues on petfinder.com.

Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder

Old 05-28-2013, 06:41 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,655,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triley80 View Post
Just curious of where people get their dogs from. I am thinking about getting a couple of puppies in the next couple of months and curious where the best places to get them. My preference is a full breed lab, retriever, or german shepherd. Most shelters I've looked at in the area dont have many full breed puppies. I look at craiglist also. Just wondering if there are places around the area I dont know about, or if someone knows a dog breeder. I will consider other breeds.
SPCA; street hounds are better than full breed any day. Don't get sick and much easier to train.IMO

Old 05-30-2013, 04:04 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,806 times
Yes, please adopt from a shelter! There are so many dogs that need good homes and might not have a chance otherwise.

If you are set on a purebred dog, you can Google "Lab Rescue" or "German Shepherd Rescue" to find the closest rescue group.

We rescued a Treeing Walker Coonhound a year ago from a local shelter (she's originally from KY) and she is the best dog ever. Very sweet, affectionate, and quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area