Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 10:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,734 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I have posted this in the charleston form, (but as a new member who is still trying to learn how the site works) I have been informed that I should post on the Charleston area to get my answers. And I'm sure most of my questions have been answered in many threads but I want to ask you guys and get a response for me. Hope I'm making sense. (I tend to ramble a lot lol)

Well here goes. So I'm about to go into my junior year in high school and I and a few of my friends have decided that after we all are finished with high school and college we want to move to Charleston. I had gotten my friends hooked on the idea of living in charleston when I told them about my summer vacation to charleston. My friends listened to what I was telling them about this beautiful city that had sparked my interest after my visit; they were as mystified as I was. And from the moment I left charleston I knew that it would become my future home, as for my friends...well I think their fully on board lol. I know many people will probably tell me to wait until I do finish college and do some serious thinking about if I truly do want to make the move to sc; but I think my mind is made up. I have also factored in somethings already,like for starters have a job already lined up because jobs are hard to come by and that the unemployment is very high. Also I've read about people talking about the humidity in the summer, well I live in the southeastern part of Oklahoma and our summers can get pretty hot and humid. And since I spent almost three weeks in charleston (end of July and into early August) and I hear people say that July into August is really bad with the humidity. I took the humidity just fine. Lastly, I'm used to a slower pace life. Coming from the small town that I'm from, nothing here is fast paced so I feel it wouldn't be a major thing to adjust to.

Ok so now that I'm done with my explaintion, onto my questions.

1. What is the best area to live in with 3-4 roommates? Would you recommend the downtown area or farther from the city?

2. What is the nightlife like in the downtown area?

3. I'm a big history buff and I like the paranormal, so what are some great group activities to go see? (Loved my tour of fort Sumter btw)

4.would you recommend renting or buying a house?

5. What is some of the advice you can give to an out of stater? (Tips, best shops, favorite beach, ect.)

6. What are the top 5 things to see or do in Charleston?

Last question, I promise!!!
7. What do love and or dislike about Charleston?

Thank you guys for your time in reading this/ answering my questions. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you guys for helping this Okie girl out!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 08:55 AM

43 posts, read 66,052 times
Any chance you can attend College of Charleston? In that way you can learn and experience everything first hand before making the commitment involved in moving for a career. If your instinct is right it will also afford you a better opportunity with interning with a local company after graduation.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,292 times
You should come here for college .

C of C, CSU, Trident, are all great schools. Even being from out of state, Trident is probably still in your budget because it's a community college so your out of state tuition there is probably still cheaper than in-state tuition at a state 4-year school... so if you're set on living here, that's the way to do it. If you go off for college or grad school, you can always return home after college (or transfer) if you don't like it. There's a lot less risk. No one says you have to stay in your college town forever, but if one of the schools here is notable for a major you really like, it's a great opportunity.

But here are my answers. Just FYI, I'm 27, married, female, no kiddos .

1. What is the best area to live in with 3-4 roommates? Would you recommend the downtown area or farther from the city?

On a college campus. I was there once (not at college here, though). Having roomies in college can be fun, but even living with your friends... they may not be your friends much longer once you live with them. I lived with my best friend for my freshman year and it was great. We were still friends after that year. But we stopped living together. 2 years later, we were no longer in touch (we're still not). She was my best friend all through middle and high school. At least in college, if you have a roommate issue you can take that up with residence life.

2. What is the nightlife like in the downtown area?

Not really into nightlife, but the college kids love it there. There's a lot of bars and places to go, once you're old enough to drink of course . I think there are a few where you can get in under 21 though just to dance, but be careful with it. Always go with a group of friends, that sort of thing. Geez, I sound like a mom here... but really, I have known people to have bad experiences when partying and it's sad to see it happen to girls.

3. I'm a big history buff and I like the paranormal, so what are some great group activities to go see? (Loved my tour of fort Sumter btw)

Lots of plantations up Hwy 61. Charles Towne Landing too... those are away from downtown but still nice. Also we have the Yorktown Aircraft Carrier and Patriot's Point Museum here.

4. Would you recommend renting or buying a house?

Rent until you're sure you want to stay here and you have a steady job. Even moving here at 26, we rented for a year before buying. Buying and owning a home is fun. Having to sell a home because you're broke or you're having to move away for a job (or because things just didn't work out) isn't fun.

5. What is some of the advice you can give to an out of stater? (Tips, best shops, favorite beach, ect.)

You pretty much have to have a car unless you live downtown. As far as favorite beach, I like Isle of Palms. Favorite shops... Tanger Outlet Mall.

6. What are the top 5 things to see or do in Charleston?

For me... downtown restaurants are great. I also like the beach, running over the Ravenel Bridge (you can walk it too). The Battery is another great place to walk or run. There are outdoor concerts in the summer that are fun.

Last question, I promise!!!

7. What do love and or dislike about Charleston?

I love most things... it's a great city. I don't love that people seem a bit biased toward some areas and neighborhoods. There's a lot of hate for North Charleston, and I don't think it's that bad. Also I mainly wish more restaurants, shops, etc would come back to West Ashley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area