Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:07 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,961,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew2013 View Post
i hear about crime there all the time down closer to the bridge. i heard it was unsafe to go to the grocery store near there but it is all relative of course.
It is hard to believe these posts still persist.

I'm happy to deal with the "dangers" of living in MtP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 09:23 AM

245 posts, read 319,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post

the point is most of n. charleston isn't anymore dangerous. i am not trying to talk you out of mt. pleasant, doesn't concern me at all where you choose to live or why or if you are happy there or not.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:30 AM

55 posts, read 85,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post

[quote=MountainDew2013;30780233]i hear about crime there all the time down closer to the bridge. i heard it was unsafe to go to the grocery store near there but it is all relative of course.

i don't think the newer residential areas of N. Charleston and Goose Creek are dangerous. the only bad / dangerous part of N. Charleston is up closer to Charleston.

everybody wants their kid to go to the school with the best score even though that is just measuring the student body demographics and desirre to go to college vs just ge the diploma. all this does is drag down the school score of the schools they leave and boost the school score of the one they go to.

kids aren't learning rocket science in high school. A long as they have AP classses for the brighter kids, i'd have no problem sending my kids to any school no matter what the school score is.

You heard there was crime at the Harris teeter and trader joes by the bridge? That statement is so off base. There's never any crime there. Also wando high school, only hs in mt p was rated one of the top performing hs in the nation. There are reasons for that, it's not just statistical nonsense.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:31 AM

183 posts, read 356,844 times
Quote:
the point is most of n. charleston isn't anymore dangerous. don't personally care where you live or why
People don't care what parts of North Charleston are good or not because they don't go here or live here. That doesn't stop anyone from talking about it, of course. A lot of North Charleston sucks but that's mostly because it's old and crappy. Poor people live there so no one cares about it. And sad to say a lot of white people are scared of these areas because they think being white in them will earn a mugging. In reality it's not a big deal, nothing around here really is. There are bad neighborhoods in many of the subsections of the metro area.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:33 AM

[quote=Dustinw82;30780804]
Quote:
i hear about crime there all the time down closer to the bridge. i heard it was unsafe to go to the grocery store near there but it is all relative of course.

i don't think the newer residential areas of N. Charleston and Goose Creek are dangerous. the only bad / dangerous part of N. Charleston is up closer to Charleston.

everybody wants their kid to go to the school with the best score even though that is just measuring the student body demographics and desirre to go to college vs just ge the diploma. all this does is drag down the school score of the schools they leave and boost the school score of the one they go to.

kids aren't learning rocket science in high school. A long as they have AP classses for the brighter kids, i'd have no problem sending my kids to any school no matter what the school score is.

You heard there was crime at the Harris teeter and trader joes by the bridge? That statement is so off base. There's never any crime there. Also wando high school, only hs in mt p was rated one of the top performing hs in the nation. There are reasons for that, it's not just statistical nonsense.
yeah the reason is rich people have kids who tend to do better in school because they are motivated to go to college and generally are more intelligent kids b/c their parents are. look at any area with rich people and the schools are good there. that is my point, school score reflects the nature of the student body, doesn't tell you much about the school. if they started busing kids from poorer areas of Charleston metro to that Wando school, do you think it is going to be top performing hs in the nation? LOL

and then affluent parents would take their bright little Johnny or little Suzy Q to a different "good" school up the road. it is a self fullfilling prophecy thing, really.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12pointbuck View Post
People don't care what parts of North Charleston are good or not because they don't go here or live here. That doesn't stop anyone from talking about it, of course. A lot of North Charleston sucks but that's mostly because it's old and crappy. Poor people live there so no one cares about it. And sad to say a lot of white people are scared of these areas because they think being white in them will earn a mugging. In reality it's not a big deal, nothing around here really is. There are bad neighborhoods in many of the subsections of the metro area.
well i think sometimes people exxaggerate what "white people" think about certain things. I'm not in a state of fear when I ride thru older black or low income areas. I might be a little more alert to things simply b/c those areas do have more crime than aflluent areas of town but I am not expecting something bad to happen.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:42 AM

183 posts, read 356,844 times
Quote:
well i think sometimes people exxaggerate what "white people" think about certain things. I'm not in a state of fear when I ride thru older black or low income areas. I might be a little more alert to things simply b/c those areas do have more crime than aflluent areas of town but I am not expecting something bad to happen.
I'm white and I don't worry about this stuff, but I know people who do. I know a guy who didn't want to take Dorchester Road down to the 26 exit because he'd have to go through "bad parts of town." My girlfriend works off Azalea, do I worry for her safety? Nope. In fact when she got a flat tire I told her to go to Gerald's right in the middle of those terrible neighborhoods on D Road. In high school I worked at the Sonic Drive-In on Rivers Avenue. We got robbed one time, and it was after everyone left except the manager, and the manager was in on it. Didn't worry about crime then. Don't worry about it now. Do I go to Chicora Arms apartments at night and hang out? No. Do I walk around the Park Circle area at night? I've done it before.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12pointbuck View Post
I'm white and I don't worry about this stuff, but I know people who do. I know a guy who didn't want to take Dorchester Road down to the 26 exit because he'd have to go through "bad parts of town." My girlfriend works off Azalea, do I worry for her safety? Nope. In fact when she got a flat tire I told her to go to Gerald's right in the middle of those terrible neighborhoods on D Road. In high school I worked at the Sonic Drive-In on Rivers Avenue. We got robbed one time, and it was after everyone left except the manager, and the manager was in on it. Didn't worry about crime then. Don't worry about it now. Do I go to Chicora Arms apartments at night and hang out? No. Do I walk around the Park Circle area at night? I've done it before.
lol, well i wouldn't have considered Dorchester road a bad part of town. i thought that was most industrial area anyway.

i talked to a good looking girl at that Sonic once.

I think it is people who grow up in aflluent areas like MP who have these paranoid perspectives about the less genteel areas.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:38 AM

55 posts, read 85,617 times
[quote=MountainDew2013;30780850]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinw82 View Post

yeah the reason is rich people have kids who tend to do better in school because they are motivated to go to college and generally are more intelligent kids b/c their parents are. look at any area with rich people and the schools are good there. that is my point, school score reflects the nature of the student body, doesn't tell you much about the school. if they started busing kids from poorer areas of Charleston metro to that Wando school, do you think it is going to be top performing hs in the nation? LOL

and then affluent parents would take their bright little Johnny or little Suzy Q to a different "good" school up the road. it is a self fullfilling prophecy thing, really.
It's about the real estate and education in mt p. that's why people move there, rich or not. It's also why it's a boom town. The schools will always out perform bc of the teachers wando hires.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:50 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,799,651 times
Quote:
Welcome to the suburban cycle. A bunch of development pops up, then they finally get a school nearby and the old one starts to go downhill because it no longer pulls from the exurbs. Then people don't want their kids going to the old school because performance drops and a few 15 year big ticket items start to come due on their house (roof/ac/appliances/water heater) so they buy something new even farther out, and the cycle repeats itself.

Mt Pleasant... San Antonio... LA... Atlanta... it's the same everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area