Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:49 AM

2,315 posts, read 2,966,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Can you explain how the history of Charleston right around the port is more historic than the other areas of downtown and how that section is being adversely affected by the cruise ships? The only real issue they have claimed was soot. But they haven't shown that the soot is primarily from the cruise ships. Especially since the cruise ships run much cleaner than the ships picking up cars in the same area, which will increase as Volvo comes in.

This is more of a "I don't like it", "It blocks my view", "I can hear their PA system", and "They increase foot traffic". People are far more self serving.
These are the same people that look at an old abandoned building, like say the old bookstore that is being turned into a hotel next to Marion Square, and think "Hey, that building's historical it's older than I am!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 10:26 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,462,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Can you explain how the history of Charleston right around the port is more historic than the other areas of downtown and how that section is being adversely affected by the cruise ships? The only real issue they have claimed was soot. But they haven't shown that the soot is primarily from the cruise ships. Especially since the cruise ships run much cleaner than the ships picking up cars in the same area, which will increase as Volvo comes in.

This is more of a "I don't like it", "It blocks my view", "I can hear their PA system", and "They increase foot traffic". People are far more self serving.
"First they want to build tall buildings. And they want more highways. Now they want to bring in cruise ships? THIS IS NOT MIAMI! Charleston is DOOMED I tell ya, DOOMED!"

Old 10-05-2015, 12:42 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,246,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
"First they want to build tall buildings. And they want more highways. Now they want to bring in cruise ships? THIS IS NOT MIAMI! Charleston is DOOMED I tell ya, DOOMED!"
Fortunately, the people with the money and the influence aren't going to allow this to happen to our fair city. If you want Naples, Florida or suburban Ohio, I've got a fantastic suggestion for you...

Old 10-05-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Fortunately, the people with the money and the influence aren't going to allow this to happen to our fair city. If you want Naples, Florida or suburban Ohio, I've got a fantastic suggestion for you...
Prosperity over stagnation, it's not a difficult choice for some.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Prosperity over stagnation, it's not a difficult choice for some.
Sustainable growth over mindless sprawl, the difficult path but the right one.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Sustainable growth over mindless sprawl, the difficult path but the right one.
You.... you are aware that increased density and sprawl are the exact opposite right?

Old 10-05-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
You.... you are aware that increased density and sprawl are the exact opposite right?
One is a function of the other. The more densely populated an area becomes, the more sprawl you see. But, you may replace "sprawl" with "growth" in my previous post if that is what it takes to get this conversation moving forward again. Ok?

Old 10-05-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
One is a function of the other. The more densely populated an area becomes, the more sprawl you see. But, you may replace "sprawl" with "growth" in my previous post if that is what it takes to get this conversation moving forward again. Ok?
Growth in population or land area heavily populated? If the former that's happening regardless and being against the expansion of needed systems such as highway's is going to get people killed. If the latter then which do you think takes up more space a project like the Boulevard in Mt. Pleasant or a neighborhood with 200 homes?

Old 10-05-2015, 08:45 PM

I'm 100% for improving infrastructure to support a sustainable growth in population.

As far as the new cruise terminal goes, SPA needs to address the environmental impacts of the project just like any new project involving major construction would need to. So far that hasn't happened. If they comply, this entire argument becomes moot and the terminal is approved and built.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:01 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,462,840 times
Quote:
You act like Charleston was always a "fair city." Charleston was a mess in the 90's. Thousands of jobs lost with the Naval Yard closing, tourism was nothing special, population was stagnant and/or declining, crime was a big issue - North Charleston was a top 10 crime city, infrastructure was still nothing special, the economy was slow.

In the last 4 years, Chas Do has already grown 31,000 people. From 1990 to 99 the whole county only saw growth of 14,000 and 5.1%. In that same period, Richland Co grew 12.2% and Greenville Co grew 18.6%.

Charlestons success of economic lands with Boeing, Damiler, Volvo, Blackbaud, our IT and medical, etc is recent. So is this population growth. All this foreign investment and transpant growth. The airport has never boomed like it has and ive never seen the port this optimistic. (We used to be ahead of Savannah in that metric). Crime is declining, income is rising, quality of life is picking up: Parks are being maintained, dilapidated shacks are being bullodzed and making way for better development, streetscspes are looking better (look at the Crosstown and 17 in Mount P, or part of East Bay, Rivers Ave, the market is good. Even our beautiful bridge that replaced those rusted metal nightmares is only 10 years old.

The whole region is just optimistic and postive: all the new industry coming, all these mega developments, all these plans like fix up Savannah Hwy, redo Citadel Mall, make Folly Rd better, Ingleside, etc. Our #1 city in the country and world rankings, all these sudden hotels, shops, its all new. This wasn't the case too long ago. So stop acting like it.

Charleston is riding a wave of success this decade with business, tourism, and quality of life. We're firing on all cylinders. The only things holding the metro back is our out of date road infrastructure, NIMBYS, and people who want to stay in the past. One day this wave of success will recede. Happens with every city. Detriot was in our position in the 40's, Vegas in the 2000's, Atlanta in the 90's-2000's, etc. Eventually we'll go back to being normal, so while we have this wave, we need to ride it. You may think fighting every single project: 526, cruise terminal, Sargaent Jasper, Shem Ceeek, taller buildings, etc. is saving the area, but in reality its just keeping us held back from fully booming into the southeast powerhouse we could be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area