Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 01:44 PM

455 posts, read 670,783 times

Advertisements

We have begun searching areas of Mt. Pleasant for my husband and I to purchase a home. We are active, early 60's. Liked Hidden Lakes and Seaside Farms, due to the convenience of those developments and having some water views. Is one better than the other in regard to activities, prone to flooding and wind, ...?
Also looking further away in Park West or Dunes West so we can have a boat, but appears a lot of families with kids. Will we fit in or will it feel isolated?
Any other suggestions? We pretty much have decided Mt. Pleasant is where we want to be, but not knowing what the differences are in each area, would recommend suggestions. Would appreciate advice from those living there and who would really know the area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 02:09 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,282,273 times
Dunes has a lot of retirees. I see more retirees than kids.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:51 PM

27 posts, read 31,799 times
We are in our mid 50's and have the same situation. Both kids are in college. We are considereing Rivertowne and Dunes West. I really like Rivertowne on the Wando location. Also the HOA fees are much lower. Dunes West is higher and there is also a separate fee for the pool/tennis, etc. It is all included at RIvertowne on the Wando. But not sure of the demographics at Rivertowne on the Wando.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:09 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,021,264 times
I think you'll find a large number of families in many of the big neighborhoods in Mount Pleasant. Mount pleasant has some of the most reputable schools in the tri-county area. So, it will always have a draw for families with elementary/middle/high school aged children. Those families of course will be drawn to neighborhoods with amenities like play parks, pools, etc., as well.

Now that being said, those neighborhoods are obviously not populated -only- by families with young children. So, find a neighborhood you like, be social, make friends and you'll certainly meet up with others in the same place/stage of life as you.

Seaside Farms is certainly a great spot, due to its proximity to the shopping center, proximity to the beach, etc. Don't overlook neighborhoods like Brickyard Plantation (has a community boat ramp and boat storage), or Hamlin Plantation (just finishing the final phase of construction in the Waverly subsection, so no more competing with the builder for resale prices), or Park West/Dunes West for your stated reasons.

And absolutely call and insurance agent first thing, to try and get a quote on home owners insurance, flood, and wind&hail coverage. That should assist you with a great deal of neighborhood selections.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:49 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
Dunes has a lot of retirees. I see more retirees than kids.
Really? I know so many families who live in Dunes West.....but it is a big place and folks are spread out.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:53 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
We chose to move south of the Isle of Palm Connector to be closer to beaches, the downtown, movie theaters, shopping, highway access. We have two grown children and one who will be finished high school in a year and a half.

You will find retireeses in all the communities.+

Old 11-01-2013, 08:25 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,282,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Really? I know so many families who live in Dunes West.....but it is a big place and folks are spread out.
Yes. It might be my area or my schedule... who knows.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:39 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,357,350 times
I would suggest Hidden Cove off Long Point. He have some friends that live there, very mixed area and I know there's a home for sale 5 doors or so up from the neighborhood boat dock/launch on deep water.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:48 AM

482 posts, read 845,693 times
I live near Seaside Farms and love it. Several places to talk. Shops, food, grocery, etc. and close to IOP.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:09 PM

74 posts, read 130,043 times
What is your budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area