Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 10:31 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,754,937 times

Advertisements

I am a regular biker/walker/jogger and love to get outside as much as possible.

I don't feel very safe on the Saw Branch trail alone even though at times I will go alone. I live very close to the trail so it is very convenient for me to get to so it's sad that at parts, I don't feel very safe but that's true for any trail I guess. I don't always have someone to grab to go with me because I exercise often and at different times and I'll go for 5+ miles at a time.

I feel more safe on weekends when there are more people out and about on it.

As far as walking, I also get bored walking the same area over and over. I need to see different scenery and different parts of where I live. I don't mind driving somewhere and parking my car at different places.

I prefer a more country setting where I can feel safe but where there are less cars and perhaps more cows and horses. Can anyone suggest some great places to walk in the area? I've walked in many neighborhoods, but would prefer a more country setting.

If you do cardio but not in a gym or at home, where do you go in Summerville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 01:34 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,048,960 times
I know a group meets on Sunday mornings at the YMCA for long runs sometimes. That might be a good option for you to look into. I believe they meet at either 6 or 7, not sure where they run but they run as a group so it should be fairly safe.

One of my friends lives in Summerville and we run together sometimes, we usually just run through neighborhoods and get decent mileage that way. Another good option is the Wannamaker Park, which is actually in North Charleston/Ladson but not a far drive at all. There are trails there.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:54 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,754,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post
I know a group meets on Sunday mornings at the YMCA for long runs sometimes. That might be a good option for you to look into. I believe they meet at either 6 or 7, not sure where they run but they run as a group so it should be fairly safe.

One of my friends lives in Summerville and we run together sometimes, we usually just run through neighborhoods and get decent mileage that way. Another good option is the Wannamaker Park, which is actually in North Charleston/Ladson but not a far drive at all. There are trails there.
Thanks for the info. Doesn't Wannamaker charge? I hadn't made it there yet but want to check it out sometime.

I think last week when I was on the Saw Branch trail, a police car came up behind me. I was glad to see them and wouldn't mind seeing more of them riding on the trail every so often.....makes me feel a bit safer.

Yep, I do that too sometimes. I'll ride/walk in Newington or Twin Oaks or Ashborough or near the Y.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:15 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,048,960 times
I think Wannamaker may charge a little for parking? Not sure really, but I think it's fairly cheap, whatever is charged.

The group I'm thinking of meets on Sunday at 6 at the YMCA. They have a Facebook group but well... this isn't Facebook, so I can't connect ya with that info. Maybe someone inside the YMCA who works there would know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area