Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:31 AM

10 posts, read 16,529 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to the Charleston area as soon as possible. My background is in hotel hospitality and I am currently looking for jobs on Kiawah. I'd like to get an apartment in the Mt. Pleasant area so my question is how bad would that commute be? I'm assuming normal business hours for now. Would getting past the city be backed up and then clear out once I get onto John's Island?

Thanks for any advice you can provide! If the commute is long and arduous, it'll have to be a sweeter gig out on the island to draw me out there so it helps knowing ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 11:39 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,190,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm5689 View Post
I am looking to relocate to the Charleston area as soon as possible. My background is in hotel hospitality and I am currently looking for jobs on Kiawah. I'd like to get an apartment in the Mt. Pleasant area so my question is how bad would that commute be? I'm assuming normal business hours for now. Would getting past the city be backed up and then clear out once I get onto John's Island?

Thanks for any advice you can provide! If the commute is long and arduous, it'll have to be a sweeter gig out on the island to draw me out there so it helps knowing ahead of time.
I'm sure someone else will chime in but what I remember, Kiawah is about an hour drive from Mt. Pleasant. Remember you have to go south past the island then get out on the island and it is only a two lane road. James Island or Johns Island would be better.

Any reason you are zoning in on Kiawah? The Charleston area and downtown has some spectacular properties.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:38 PM

10 posts, read 16,529 times
I am also looking at properties all over the Charleston area, but wanted to make sure the drive to Kiawah shouldn't rule it out as a place to even bother looking.

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2013, 02:43 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,640,689 times
I think you'd be hard pressed to make to Kiawah from Mt P in even an hour. If Kiawah is where you end up getting a job, BlueHerons is right.... You'd be better on Johns Island or James. If Schools aren't important to you then Johns Island is closest.

Edit: Really, you can do Mt P to Kiawah in an hour if there's not much traffic. It also depends on where in Mt P and where on Kiawah.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:51 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,354,283 times
I would set the expectation of that commute at a minimum of 1 hour and expect that it could be worse depending on where you live in Mt Pleasant. It's not the kind of commute that is all highway. You'd be getting off 17 cutting across downtown Charleston then over another bridge onto 2 lane backcountry roads. Wouldn't be an ideal commute..for me anyways.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:18 PM

45,674 posts, read 24,150,783 times
Depends where in Kiawah and where on Mt. Pleasant.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:50 PM

882 posts, read 1,473,804 times
Last weekend I met some folks that live in I'on that have a summer home in Kiawah Island ... it seemed somewhat redundant to me to have homes seemingly that close to each other but apparently not uncommon. Perhaps it speaks to how practical it really is to commute between the two ... or it speaks to having more money than common sense.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:11 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,984,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
Last weekend I met some folks that live in I'on that have a summer home in Kiawah Island ... it seemed somewhat redundant to me to have homes seemingly that close to each other but apparently not uncommon. Perhaps it speaks to how practical it really is to commute between the two ... or it speaks to having more money than common sense.

It's about an hour from one to the other. Where I'm from there are plenty of people that live an hour from the coast that have beach or island homes.

Nothing to do with common sense. Just a person's desire to spend some of their disposable income.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:25 PM

882 posts, read 1,473,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Just a person's desire to spend some of their disposable income.
I was actually being facetious, it was more to emphasize that the two locations are far enough from each other for some folks to warrant owning separate residences in each one, thus aiming to address the commute question in a roundabout way. Plus I would venture to guess that your friends that live an hour from the coast and have a second home there don't actually live ten minutes from the coast in the winter as is the case in I'on.

My first reaction when I was told this is that it may be a local tradition going back generations when the two were a day's trip from each other, and that this has remained a custom for families of a certain wealth level. Then I wondered why not just live in SI and have the best of both worlds ... but then I thought that they are either golfers, or more likely have a group of friends that may live in other places and they all gather in Kiawah every summer.

It was just interesting more than anything else, because it is reasonable for an outsider such as myself to find it curious for someone to have a winter and summer home within 30 miles of each other, for in many places in the US that's about the average commute.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:18 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,190,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post

My first reaction when I was told this is that it may be a local tradition going back generations when the two were a day's trip from each other, and that this has remained a custom for families of a certain wealth level. Then I wondered why not just live in SI and have the best of both worlds ... but then I thought that they are either golfers, or more likely have a group of friends that may live in other places and they all gather in Kiawah every summer.

=.
It is very much a South Carolina thing. I grew up in Myrtle Beach (my mother's family is Charleston) and we have a beach house in Murrells Inlet. Lots of my friends families that lived in the Dunes Club have Garden City Beach houses.

They are also vacation rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area