Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 06:38 AM

12 posts, read 27,164 times

Advertisements

Would anyone know about Wescott Plantation? Ive been told to look into that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 08:38 PM

28 posts, read 77,155 times
My husband and I have been renting a home in the Wescott Plantation area since the summer (we moved from the DC area). It seems most homes in this area rent for around $1200-$1400, depending on size.

Wescott Plantation is a nice area and seems very family-oriented. We don't have any kids yet, but we see a lot of families, especially families with younger kids. It seems like they like it here! Some of the neighborhoods offer a pool, there are lots of nice areas to go for a walk or bike ride, there is an elementary school nearby, and they recently opened a shopping center with lots of great options (Harris Teeter, Marshall's, Starbucks, Moe's, and more) only a few minutes away.

One thing we don't particularly love about Wescott is it's proximity to North Charleston. (It actually seems like Wescott is more in North Charleston than Summerville.) Not that all of North Charleston is bad, but since we moved here in August, we hear about shootings in North Charleston all the time. I read about them in the news way too often. They aren't always super close to here, but I've heard about some that were only ten minutes away. Just makes me a little nervous when I'm out and about! The actual Wescott Plantation neighborhoods seem pretty safe to us so far, but when you drive only five or ten minutes toward N. Charleston (Ashley Phosphate Rd. and parts of Dorchester Rd.), those areas don't seem as safe (just my opinion). If we had realized that before we moved here, we probably would have looked for a neighborhood a little further into Summerville.

Others who may be from this area or who have lived here longer may be able to offer more insight.

Last edited by danyellr526; 01-12-2014 at 08:48 PM..

Old 01-12-2014, 09:09 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
Heed danyellr526 ... Dorchester Road gets pretty ugly moving east. Its not about Wescott itself

Old 01-13-2014, 04:39 PM

20 posts, read 31,393 times
Hello Im originally from Jersey, I just moved to Wescott Plantation area Dec 2013, I was looking for a 3 bed around 1200, first I wanted to rent a house but being new to SC/area We decided to go to a complex area. I choose Avana which was perfect elementary school is next door and I have a brand new shopping center with walking distance. Education is very important for my family and this area is under the Dorchester school district. If you have any questions just let me know.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:49 PM

3,863 posts, read 4,600,535 times
Good answers for the OP here! Please continue to post your discussions on the public forum so we can all benefit from the personal experiences. I too like hearing the first person perspective on Wescott.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:52 PM

Thank you, very helpful. We are also looking into a complex so ill have to look into that. Also education is important so that's great. How do you like SC so far Jerseygirl?

Old 01-13-2014, 04:54 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
I live around Westcott and definitely recommend it. In less than two years, you're going to have a back way onto I-26 with a new exit between the University Ave one and Ashley Phosphate.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 PM

20 posts, read 31,393 times
Raised all my life in Jersey, I was never happy living in the northeast since the age of 18. Vacations to the south made me realized I belong here. My husband is originally from the NYC and he also love the south, So we took a chance. All changes are good. Im here I love it, my kids made friends the same day we move in, now its all about kids nocking on my door asking to play with my kids. My kids are happy with their new school. We love our complex, I feel we live in a timeshare, they have monthly events for the residents and is a good way to meet people. My GPS is our best friend, hopefully soon I wont be needing it. IF I MISS ANYTHING, FAMILY that's it. Don't Miss the snow..Regarding jobs, I have an interview with Dorchester School district, Im a teacher. SO Wish me luck guys.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:14 PM

Oh good. Good luck!!

Old 01-14-2014, 08:17 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,465 times
We considered renting a house in Ashborough. I adore that neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area