Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:23 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,034,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAWJOE View Post
what was the cost of the property in FL? had to be a 1M+ property as that area has a 2.25 on value not counting homestead.... Parkland is between Boca Raton, Coral Springs and Deerfield Beach. One of the best towns in the state. My friend just bought in Mt Pleasant paid 450K and has property tax of 4,800.
The only way you would have a property tax that high on a $450K property in Mt Pleasant would be if it's a vacation or rental home. There are significantly higher property taxes for a home that is not your primary residence. My own home is near that cost and I pay ~$1500 per year in property taxes here in Mt P.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 02:39 PM

882 posts, read 1,465,830 times
Quote:
what was the cost of the property in FL? had to be a 1M+ property as that area has a 2.25 on value not counting homestead.... Parkland is between Boca Raton, Coral Springs and Deerfield Beach. One of the best towns in the state. My friend just bought in Mt Pleasant paid 450K and has property tax of 4,800.
I don't want to publicly say how much I paid for my home in MP, but generally speaking the homes we were looking at in FL were over $1.25m, as is the one we bought in MP. The homes are comparable in value, size, in relative neighborhood exclusivity ... the only difference is that FL makes up for its lack of state income tax by taxing real property. I imagine the farther one gets from the ocean in FL the lower the comparable price per square foot assessment is, and why it is not as severe in Parkland.

I'm not sure what your friend's situation is but that seems a huge amount of property taxes for a primary residence. Like I said our home in MP was under $4000 in 2102 as per the CC tax records. I'm happy to post the PDF with some redactions (names and exact address).

Anyhoot, I didn't want to detract from your original question ... I just wanted to note the different tax dynamics between the two states.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:22 PM

21 posts, read 47,069 times
Median Housing Parkland $426K Mount Pleasant $362K Median Income Parkland $117K Mount Pleasant $81K. This is 35k difference in ave income thats a lot to make up using the housing tax as an argument... Thanks but if you look at ALL the differences they win... You sound like you are a real estate agent trying to convince your buyer or yourself but if your happy thats all that matters! Thanks thats why there is chocolate and vanilla in this world.... Out............

Old 01-28-2014, 05:24 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,034,456 times
Quote:
Median Housing Parkland $426K Mount Pleasant $362K Median Income Parkland $117K Mount Pleasant $81K. This is 35k difference in ave income thats a lot to make up using the housing tax as an argument... Thanks but if you look at ALL the differences they win... You sound like you are a real estate agent trying to convince your buyer or yourself but if your happy thats all that matters! Thanks thats why there is chocolate and vanilla in this world.... Out............
I'm confused. You're looking to live in Mt P but arguing against it? Not sure what point you're trying to make.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:28 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,670,645 times
Quote:

Just to add: Big changes coming to Mount P.. too much debt ( get rdy for tax increases) maybe not now, but def in the coming year(s)

In Mount Pleasant, a big bill coming due – The Post and Courier

Old 01-28-2014, 05:36 PM

882 posts, read 1,465,830 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand either ... no one is talking about median housing or income. I was just comparing properties valued like for like between FL counties and SC counties that's all, and the fact that like for like some properties can have four to five times the property taxes in FL compared to SC. I'm not even sure what we're discussing here cause these are not opinions, they are facts accessible to anyone armed with an internet connection and access to Zillow.

And yeah you got me, that's what I do ... drop money on a home for me and my family and head to the forums to seek validation from random strangers.

Sheesh ... please go to Florida, it suits you.

Last edited by soulsea; 01-28-2014 at 07:02 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 08:26 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,449,029 times
I was talking about the "Income Tax" being eliminated not the sales tax.. I read in the paper the Gov was trying to eliminate the Income Tax in SC.

Sheesh, well OK...sorry, I misread it.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:02 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,044,230 times
Follow up to my other personal property tax question:
Just to confirm, you pay an annual personal property tax on all vehicles, boats, etc. Is the rate a flat 6%?
For example, let's say you own 2 cars valued at $30K each, and a boat at $40K, ($100K total property not including residence). How do you figure your personal property tax bill?
Are they ways to appeal and get it reduced?
Thanks.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:55 AM

506 posts, read 1,026,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Follow up to my other personal property tax question:
Just to confirm, you pay an annual personal property tax on all vehicles, boats, etc. Is the rate a flat 6%?
For example, let's say you own 2 cars valued at $30K each, and a boat at $40K, ($100K total property not including residence). How do you figure your personal property tax bill?
Are they ways to appeal and get it reduced?
Thanks.
Each municipality has a different millage rate that is used to compute the tax. Here is a link to a FAQ that explains the process from the Dorchester County website:

Dorchester County : Property Tax FAQ

There is also an answer to your question about appealing it.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:58 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,299,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
The only way you would have a property tax that high on a $450K property in Mt Pleasant would be if it's a vacation or rental home. There are significantly higher property taxes for a home that is not your primary residence. My own home is near that cost and I pay ~$1500 per year in property taxes here in Mt P.
same for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area