Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:01 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,321,831 times

Advertisements

I've seen a ton of what OP is talking about on the internet in pictures. Just google 'tiny house on wheels' and you can see what they are referring to. It's a neat idea for those who are looking to minimalize and be completely mobile.

Problem is, I'm not sure where you would be able to park, outside of a mobile home area. You only other option is to find a network of people that allow you to set up shop out front or on their property, almost like an "underground railroad" of tiny house communities. Hmm, I wonder if that exists...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 07:06 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,034,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starry.eyed View Post
I'm still in the process of doing the research, but the house I like Tumbleweed house on wheels. the smaller ones. Ideally if a farmer will let me rent a small plot of land, i'd like to be able to grow my own veggies and support myself as much as possible. My job takes me away for 24 hrs, and then I'm off for 48.

@ Cape_fisherman: Like I said, I'm still doing the research. A lot of those answers would depend on where I can stay and what I can do with the land around my home. I've lived without A/C and without heat, both in Australia (dry and very hot), Pennyslvania (very cold), and Charleston.

My goal is to be as self sufficient as possible. I want minimum electricity, if at all. I'm still looking into the best wood stoves that would work for me, and if I can't be near running water, well I might have to buy it. Like I said, I'm still researching. I don't want to head into anything without covering as many risks and being as well informed as possible.
I can tell you, having grown up on a farm and around farms in my youth, you'll have a tough time getting a farmer to rent you land if he's using his land for production. You might have some luck with a hobby farmer or something but why would they want what amounts to a trailer on their land? Now, you can lease land by itself but it's usually much, much larger plots. Usually for farming (hay production) or hunting.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:50 AM

3,868 posts, read 4,605,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starry.eyed View Post
I'm still in the process of doing the research, but the house I like Tumbleweed house on wheels. the smaller ones. Ideally if a farmer will let me rent a small plot of land, i'd like to be able to grow my own veggies and support myself as much as possible. My job takes me away for 24 hrs, and then I'm off for 48.

@ Cape_fisherman: Like I said, I'm still doing the research. A lot of those answers would depend on where I can stay and what I can do with the land around my home. I've lived without A/C and without heat, both in Australia (dry and very hot), Pennyslvania (very cold), and Charleston.

My goal is to be as self sufficient as possible. I want minimum electricity, if at all. I'm still looking into the best wood stoves that would work for me, and if I can't be near running water, well I might have to buy it. Like I said, I'm still researching. I don't want to head into anything without covering as many risks and being as well informed as possible.
It's an interesting concept but I look at the Tumbleweed houses on wheels:
Tumbleweed Tiny House Company - Welcome to our website !
and I can't figure what (other than charm) they could offer that would be better than a simple travel trailer of the same size. I'm surprised to see them being made of wood framing/siding. The weight and bulk alone would seem to make that a bad option as opposed to steel or aluminum. I would think it'd be cheaper and possibly cooler (as in hip) to get a hold of an old Airstream and renovate it with the same modern features that the tiny houses have.
I have a friend who did something like this with an old school bus many years ago and it was really cool. (that was the term back then)

Perhaps if you search for groups that get together for a "green" focus (Lowcountry Local First maybe?) and start networking, you just might find your spot in the country. Good luck!

Edit: Recycling an old Airstream might turn out to be greener too!

Old 02-21-2014, 09:09 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,962,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
OP can't be for real ... OH NO! ... but I'm sure cape & johngolf are
No she is not serious.

Yesterday at 7:50am she posted in the Asheville forum about opening up a B&B there. Then at 1:50pm she posts here about living off the grid in a shack with no a/c.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:40 AM

7 posts, read 17,684 times
Actually I am. I was looking into the possibility of opening a tiny home village style b&b, and was looking in areas like Asheville for that possibility. I'm fascinated by the idea and would like to still look into it. As far as having my own self sufficient tiny home? doesn't matter where it is. I have creative ideas and want to see how realistic they are.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:06 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,525,831 times
Saw this and remembered this thread...

The ESCAPE Cabin by Kelly Davis Is Not What it Seems: It's an RV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area