Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 05:02 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times

Advertisements

Serious question, and I hope that I don't offend anyone by asking, but I really want to know...

Why do some people here have a "thing" against people from the north?

When we first moved here, I told the woman at the DMV how pretty it was here and how much we liked it. She looked at my license (we are from New England) and said "it was until it was ruined by all the people moving here "from the north"." Not the warm southern welcome I was expecting...

I get that this used to be a little sleepy place and now it's not, but.... people "from the north" couldn't have moved here without the town planners approving all the building plans, the developers being allowed by the town to develop all the property, the workers building all the houses, the realtors in town selling all the land and houses, or the town officials issuing all the building permits.

It's not just people from the north that have moved here. My neighbors are from KY, GA, TN, IL, TX, CA, WA, MN and VA. So why aren't all these people told to go home too, just "Yankees"? Why is it all the "northerners" fault?

Could someone please explain what the undercurrent is behind this derisive "Yankee Go Home" sentiment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 07:29 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Guess they're angry that they lost the war lol! Not everyone is like that though... Screw them.. don't let that bring you down. What part of the North are you from?

Old 07-05-2021, 07:37 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
many reasons-Yankees may have sold their homes in the north for good money and come down and bid up the property in the south,making it unaffordable for locals .
they are not as genteel,polite and well groomed,well manner as the southerners.
they do not know how to make peach cobbler !
they speak with a funny accent and they shop for grocery in larger quantity-a bigger roast,more beef and less pork?
they dont appreciate the finer things in life ,they are crude and inconsiderate.
they talk funny !they walk and dress different.
they are not as refined,and they dont host tea party,
also they won the war.

Last edited by Yac; 07-07-2021 at 11:01 PM..

Old 07-05-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Guess they're angry that they lost the war lol! Not everyone is like that though... Screw them.. don't let that bring you down. What part of the North are you from?
Newburyport, MA. Similar to a little downtown Charleston, but not as nice in the winter

Old 07-05-2021, 07:47 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
I certainly hope the above was written tongue in cheek!

However, wherever you go, you hear the same thing: it was great before the northerners/foreigners/NewYorkers/whoever moved in.

What they mean, of course, is things are too crowded now and their small town isn't a small town anymore. It could be the people from the next county moving in, but northerners are a good victim for southern towns, easterners are a great source of complaints for people who live in Arizona and other Southwestern states, etc.etc. Let's face it, there are too many people in the world and no one likes it. Everyone who moved faces the same comments, but usually people don't state them out loud. Your DMV employee was just an example of rudeness. Southern rudeness, I guess.

Old 07-05-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
many reasons-Yankees may have sold their homes in the north for good money and come down and bid up the property in the south,making it unaffordable for locals .
they are not as genteel,polite and well groomed,well manner as the southerners.
they do not know how to make peach cobbler !
they speak with a funny accent and they shop for grocery in larger quantity-a bigger roast,more beef and less pork?
they dont appreciate the finer things in life ,they are crude and inconsiderate.
they talk funny !they walk and dress different.
they are not as refined,and they dont host tea party,
also they won the war.
Wow. I don't even know how to respond to this...

I won't touch the derogatory remarks, but be aware that "Yankees" aren't the only ones who sold their homes for "good money" and came to SC, nor are they the only ones with different "ways".

So unfortunate to slap people with a "label" instead of seeing them as people who at their core are probably more like you than you would think.

Last edited by Yac; 07-07-2021 at 11:01 PM..

Old 07-05-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I certainly hope the above was written tongue in cheek!

However, wherever you go, you hear the same thing: it was great before the northerners/foreigners/NewYorkers/whoever moved in.

What they mean, of course, is things are too crowded now and their small town isn't a small town anymore. It could be the people from the next county moving in, but northerners are a good victim for southern towns, easterners are a great source of complaints for people who live in Arizona and other Southwestern states, etc.etc. Let's face it, there are too many people in the world and no one likes it. Everyone who moved faces the same comments, but usually people don't state them out loud. Your DMV employee was just an example of rudeness. Southern rudeness, I guess.
Yeah, but you never hear "It was great before the people from Minnesota or Texas or Washington moved here". Why is that? It seems from the post above they have an intense dislike for anyone who just happened to live in a state that was a rival back in the 1800s. People from other states have different ways as well but they are not ostracized.

I never realized this kind of not so thinly veiled contempt was alive and well in Charleston/the Charleston burbs. Such a shame.

When people from other states/countries moved to the north we welcomed them and appreciated the differences. It was fun to learn about other people and cultures and ways. We accepted them as good people at the core just like ourselves, with hopes, dreams, contributions to make, families, failings, and hardships, just trying to make it in life and make a difference where they could.

We saw it as an opportunity to make a new friend and broaden our horizons. They weren't unwelcome "intruders" and we certainly never made derogatory comments about them.

Just sad. Guess I'll start saying I'm from North Dakota or some other state where people aren't so blatantly disliked.

Last edited by macalan; 07-05-2021 at 08:33 AM..

Old 07-05-2021, 08:57 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
I never realized this kind of not so thinly veiled contempt was alive and well in Charleston/the Charleston burbs. Such a shame.
I guess you don't have many/any black friends who would reveal their truths about some white southerners.

That contempt has been handed down for generations, and is the true "culture" some are always complaining about. When your parents, and grands, and great grands, all talk about how good the olden days were, and how that lifestyle was stolen from them, that's where the contempt and hate for outsiders come from. If it wasn't for the north, they would all be sipping tea while free black labor cleaned their house, raised their kids, and performed the manual labor around the city for free. Imagine the grand buildings and the quality streets southern cities would have if you didn't need to pay people to work on them.

But don't worry, you will meet plenty of southerners who do not feel this way, and are disgusted by the old thinking of their neighbors. And if you fear you can't tell one from the other, never fear. Those with hate in their hearts will eventually "test" you. They will use derogatory words for Black people in your presence, to gauge your reaction.

Old 07-05-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I guess you don't have many/any black friends who would reveal their truths about some white southerners.

That contempt has been handed down for generations, and is the true "culture" some are always complaining about. When your parents, and grands, and great grands, all talk about how good the olden days were, and how that lifestyle was stolen from them, that's where the contempt and hate for outsiders come from. If it wasn't for the north, they would all be sipping tea while free black labor cleaned their house, raised their kids, and performed the manual labor around the city for free. Imagine the grand buildings and the quality streets southern cities would have if you didn't need to pay people to work on them.

But don't worry, you will meet plenty of southerners who do not feel this way, and are disgusted by the old thinking of their neighbors. And if you fear you can't tell one from the other, never fear. Those with hate in their hearts will eventually "test" you. They will use derogatory words for Black people in your presence, to gauge your reaction.
Thank you for this. Again I don't know what to say. My eyes are certainly being opened.

Old 07-05-2021, 09:36 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Newburyport, MA. Similar to a little downtown Charleston, but not as nice in the winter
I love Newburyport! Love walking around in the old barn store filled with antiques. I don`t find it similiar to charleston though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area