Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 05:55 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,990,162 times

Advertisements

Depending on where you will be working there are several different areas of Summerville to consider moving to, each with their own traffic challenges. Summerville can have some serious issues in commuting but that's usually on a day to day basis, depending on where the wrecks are that day. I used to live off of Ladson Rd., which is on the south side of Summerville, and to get downtown, it was between 35 minutes and 50 minutes depending on traffic. If I were to move up there again, I'd probably consider the Jedburg area, it's a little less crowded and a straight route to I-26. You're still going to have all the traffic on the way to work, if working near downtown, but there's just less congestion in Jedburg, and there's plenty of inventory both new construction and pre-owned available at reasonable pricing.

And as a bonus you still get to stay at Ft. Dorchester schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 07:49 AM

29 posts, read 66,707 times
Its hard to judge how far all these small towns are from the beach. What area do most Summerville residents go for a day at the beach,and how long does it take to get there? Do you have to travel through Charleston, or are there easier routes to get to the beach?

We are looking for a family friendly community with great schools. Based on our search so far, Mt Pleasant seems to be out of our price range.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:20 AM

288 posts, read 494,897 times
We live farther out in Summerville, and prefer to go to Isle of Palms. With average traffic, your looking at a 40 minute ride. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

The route will be dependent on what part of Summerville your living in. Most likely though, your either going to go through Mt. Pleasant or West Ashley to get to the closest beaches (i.e. IOP/Sullivans, or Folly).

Old 04-01-2014, 11:59 AM

The pricing on James Island is similar to Summerville, although the homes tend to be older and a little more per square foot, but as a compromise, you are much closer to the beaches and still in a good school system. Have you looked into James Island at all?

Old 04-01-2014, 01:56 PM

207 posts, read 273,178 times
What area would you live in if you worked on sam rittenberg? I'm thinking the south end of town would be best and just shoot down ashley river road.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:13 PM

Depending on price if I worked on Sam Rittenburg I'd either live in Grand Oaks, Hunt Club, or one of the neighborhoods off of Bees Ferry Road, or maybe up Hwy 61 like in Shadowmoss, or Drayton on the Ashley.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:18 PM

29 posts, read 66,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
The pricing on James Island is similar to Summerville, although the homes tend to be older and a little more per square foot, but as a compromise, you are much closer to the beaches and still in a good school system. Have you looked into James Island at all?

I have looked into James Island a bit, but haven't found a whole lot in our price range with the number of bedrooms we need. We have a large family, and I would also like to have space available for my parents to visit often. Ideally, a second master suite with full bath on the first floor, with all other bedrooms on the second floor. I would like to be in a neighborhood with sidewalks and kids, as well. We currently live in a fairly rural area, and the kids dont have the ability to roam around and meet up with friends.

Thanks for all your info!!

Old 04-02-2014, 08:12 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,051,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fish View Post
What area would you live in if you worked on sam rittenberg? I'm thinking the south end of town would be best and just shoot down ashley river road.
Hwy 61 is crazy busy in the mornings and afternoons going toward the neighborhoods, so if you can possibly live where you can take Glenn McConnell Blvd or Hwy 17, you might want to. Grand Oaks, Hunt Club, Shadowmoss (it has an exit onto Bees Ferry Rd) are all pretty good options, along with Carolina Bay (Hwy 17) and Essex (Glenn McConnell Blvd). There are a few other subdivisions on Glenn Mac that would be convenient too.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:38 PM

3,865 posts, read 4,603,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou-loulane View Post
I have looked into James Island a bit, but haven't found a whole lot in our price range with the number of bedrooms we need. We have a large family, and I would also like to have space available for my parents to visit often. Ideally, a second master suite with full bath on the first floor, with all other bedrooms on the second floor. I would like to be in a neighborhood with sidewalks and kids, as well. We currently live in a fairly rural area, and the kids dont have the ability to roam around and meet up with friends.

Thanks for all your info!!

That does sound more like Summerville but not impossible on James Isl if you get lucky. What kind of budget are you working with?

Old 04-03-2014, 05:44 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,667 times
It will be difficult to find a rental or purchase a home without one of you having employment here. You may be able to offer several months rent upfront if that is an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area