Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:29 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,997 times

Advertisements

Secret is almost no different than the standard background investigation most employers do.

This is absolutely not true. My husband has a secret clearance, and it is 300x more "invasive" than an employer's background check. A standard background check that an employer does will - at most - check to make sure you don't have a criminal record (all types). In a lot of cases today they will also check your credit. When you apply for a clearance (either "Confidential," "Secret," or "Top Secret" ... the 3 levels of clearance) you have to fill out a 30-page application. Then, all the checking takes place...your family, neighbors, acquaintances, past jobs, etc., etc., etc. Believe me, they leave no stone unturned. Depending on the gov't. person doing the investigation, it can take several months to complete it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 10:33 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
Secret is almost no different than the standard background investigation most employers do.

This is absolutely not true. My husband has a secret clearance, and it is 300x more "invasive" than an employer's background check. A standard background check that an employer does will - at most - check to make sure you don't have a criminal record (all types). In a lot of cases today they will also check your credit. When you apply for a clearance (either "Confidential," "Secret," or "Top Secret" ... the 3 levels of clearance) you have to fill out a 30-page application. Then, all the checking takes place...your family, neighbors, acquaintances, past jobs, etc., etc., etc. Believe me, they leave no stone unturned. Depending on the gov't. person doing the investigation, it can take several months to complete it.
Yup. I don't know how anyone could compare a regular background check to one of these clearances. My husband also has a secret clearance.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:52 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Quote:

lol

I have like zero chance of passing all of that.

lolololol

Old 04-18-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
lol

I have like zero chance of passing all of that.

lolololol
Too bad. You're missing out on some pretty good paying jobs

Old 04-18-2014, 03:49 PM

It's nice but I learned a long time so that money isn't everything. I dropped $20k in salary just moving here and am completely fine with that.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:01 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
You always tend to work around what you have dont' you Rory? I have been paid on commissions for the past 20 years, some months are huge, some months are zero. You learn to adjust in your life.

If you were looking to improve your salary though, SPAWAR is a wonderful employer. I have known several people that have retired from long careers there. It may not be as hard as you think to qualify for security clearance. I'm sure you could read up on it online as to what guidelines they use for back ground checks.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:06 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,244,311 times
Quote:

I know you'd like to believe that there is all this "checking" going on for a Secret clearance, but you'd be completely wrong. As someone who has been working with a clearance for over a decade, I can tell you that you fill in the blanks on your SF86, they do a criminal background investigation, credit check, and send a questionnaire to your references asking them they have any reason to believe you're a questionable person. That's the process.

"Invasive" is TS or TS with SCI or TS with SCI and a full lifestyle poly.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:10 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
I know you'd like to believe that there is all this "checking" going on for a Secret clearance, but you'd be completely wrong. As someone who has been working with a clearance for over a decade, I can tell you that you fill in the blanks on your SF86, they do a criminal background investigation, credit check, and send a questionnaire to your references asking them they have any reason to believe you're a questionable person. That's the process.

Invasive is TS or TS with SCI or TS with SCI and a full lifestyle poly.
I agree, I know quite a few folks with security clearance and they had their clearance in less than a week. It wasn't a terribly hard process.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
You always tend to work around what you have dont' you Rory? I have been paid on commissions for the past 20 years, some months are huge, some months are zero. You learn to adjust in your life.

If you were looking to improve your salary though, SPAWAR is a wonderful employer. I have known several people that have retired from long careers there. It may not be as hard as you think to qualify for security clearance. I'm sure you could read up on it online as to what guidelines they use for back ground checks.
I don't doubt SPAWAR is great; I've heard some good things. But I see things such as a medical and psychological evaluation and throw in the towel. I'm not disappointed at all; just realistic and understand why they would need to do such things. There have also been a couple of events in the past that would probably write me off the list. It's a shame, because of no criminal history, excellent credit, and two promotions in the last 5 years.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post

"Invasive" is TS or TS with SCI or TS with SCI and a full lifestyle poly.
Its a little more than that it seems like.

All About Security Clearances

And rory, money may not be everything, but when my husband is able to get a job that he loves and it pays well into the 6 figures, then he can do that for a couple years so all our debt will be paid. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices in life if you want to achieve your goals and dreams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area