Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 10:26 AM

49 posts, read 92,687 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the Charleston area next month. We are looking for a place to rent. Everyone keeps telling me how great the Dorchester 2 district is and how Goose Creek schools aren't as good. Can someone tell me why? And I have two children so Im looking for a safe area. Can anyone tell me if Goose Creek is safe or what parts of Summerville is the best? Im running out of time and Im more confused than ever! Thank u!! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 10:34 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,895 times
I live in Crowfield (Goose Creek) and I've been really happy with my children's schools. I consider Crowfield to be safe and neighborly. We don't tend to make the news for nuisance happenings by students so I'm not sure why GC gets a bad rap, sometimes. Both towns have less than desirable areas so it is more about location within each town that are more important than one over the other. Commute to employment was also a factor in which location was better for us. I moved here almost 3 years ago and couldn't be happier. I like both Summerville and Goosecreek so I would never be able to say which is my favorite....

Old 04-29-2014, 11:17 AM

Thank you! My hubby is going to be working inin Ladson. I really want a family friendly neighborhood. I have a 12 & 11 year old. And I heard rent is more reasonable in Goose Creek.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:33 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,895 times
My husband works in Ladson, as well. When I looked at houses....I looked in the Ashborough subdivision in Summerville and the neighborhood that surrounded Beech Hill Elementary. We didn't find anything that I fell in love with (we were buying) so I didn't want to commit but those areas are my favorite. We did look at one subdivision that was on the outerskirts of Summerville (a new community) but it felt like it is what we had moved from and we wanted different.

It may be easier if you look at some subdisions and then ask what we think. I still consider myself fairly new to the area but I'll give honest feedback as much as I can.

GC has all the grocery shopping you could ask for BUT I do have to go to Mt. P, N. Charleston, or Summerville for a lot of my non-grocery shopping. Not sure how close you want to have access to local shopping. My priorities were safe and close commute for my husband's work.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:09 PM

I dont mind a little drive for non grocery items. How far is Mt. Pleasant from Goose Creek? We stayed there when we visited a couple of weeks ago and it was nice but far too expensive. Right now I have a Walmart about three minutes away, but I hate Walmart! LOL I would prefer to shop at a Target or something of that sort and its about a fifteen minute drive from where I am back here in Illinois, so a lil bit of a drive doesnt bother me. I just want something safe and family friendly with a good school system.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:48 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwokids0408 View Post
I dont mind a little drive for non grocery items. How far is Mt. Pleasant from Goose Creek? We stayed there when we visited a couple of weeks ago and it was nice but far too expensive. Right now I have a Walmart about three minutes away, but I hate Walmart! LOL I would prefer to shop at a Target or something of that sort and its about a fifteen minute drive from where I am back here in Illinois, so a lil bit of a drive doesnt bother me. I just want something safe and family friendly with a good school system.
Target isn't all that far away.... it's farther than the Mall though if you live in Goose Creek, there is a target right in Summerville. Goose Creek is also much closer to Mt. Pleasant.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:18 PM

I am looking at Churchill Apartments on Old State Road. It says my children would attend Sedgefield Middle School. Is that a good school and is Churchill Apt. a safe area? Any info would be helpful. I so wish I was closer to figure all this out so thank you so much for all your help! :-)

Old 04-29-2014, 03:33 PM

I have also seen a couple of homes in Foxborough Subdivision. Is that a good area as well?

Old 04-29-2014, 05:46 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwokids0408 View Post
My husband and I are moving to the Charleston area next month. We are looking for a place to rent. Everyone keeps telling me how great the Dorchester 2 district is and how Goose Creek schools aren't as good. Can someone tell me why? And I have two children so Im looking for a safe area. Can anyone tell me if Goose Creek is safe or what parts of Summerville is the best? Im running out of time and Im more confused than ever! Thank u!! :-)
SchoolDigger.com - the Easy Way to Evaluate K-12 School Performance A look at ratings for different schools.

There's nothing wrong with 90% of the schools in the area you're looking into. People pick favorites, that's just how it is. I know people who have graduated from Goose Creek, James Island, Hanahan, Wando, Summerivlle, Porter Gaud, you name it. I think that in life, all my friends that graduated from all these different high schools ended up looking just like the rest of American life, none any worse or better than the other.

Find an area that you feel at home in. The Charleston area is full of good school choices (some better rated than others) but if you don't feel at home, the schools really won't matter.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:44 AM

Thank you so much Wiseman! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area