Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 11:15 AM

109 posts, read 141,880 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Needing some advice on the marriage license process. I am getting married in Charleston over Labor Day Weekend, but currently live in Denver. We won't be able to apply for the marriage license in advance so we're in a bit of a pickle. I think we have three options:

1) Head straight to court on Wednesday after we fly in and pick up license 24 hours later Thursday afternoon. I dont like this option because we're planning on driving to Columbia for the home opener and this will severely limit our tailgating time

2) Head straight to court on Wednesday and pick up license when we're back in Charleston 48 hours later on Friday. This is probably the option I'm leaning towards unless you guys think that won't work.

3) Just get married in Denver but still have ceremony/reception in Charleston. Has anybody done this before? I realize our ceremony/reception would be "fake" so to speak, but does it really matter? The more things we can get taken care of early, the less stress we'll have when trying to enjoy our time with family and friends.

Also, I was told that the bride/groom doesn't have to be present to pick up the license - does anyone know if that's true?

Has anyone had issues with their license not being ready after the 24 hour period?

Big thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 12:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsl5 View Post
Needing some advice on the marriage license process. I am getting married in Charleston over Labor Day Weekend, but currently live in Denver. We won't be able to apply for the marriage license in advance so we're in a bit of a pickle. I think we have three options:

1) Head straight to court on Wednesday after we fly in and pick up license 24 hours later Thursday afternoon. I dont like this option because we're planning on driving to Columbia for the home opener and this will severely limit our tailgating time

2) Head straight to court on Wednesday and pick up license when we're back in Charleston 48 hours later on Friday. This is probably the option I'm leaning towards unless you guys think that won't work.
I was married in Charleston a few years ago from out of out town and had no issues getting our license - still, option 2 leaves you no backup contingency, since if it's not ready Friday, you're screwed for the weekend.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:42 PM

291 posts, read 547,976 times
Heaven forbid that pesky marriage license get in the way of your "home opener".

Old 05-22-2014, 09:25 AM

109 posts, read 141,880 times
Priorities

Old 05-22-2014, 02:34 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
My advice is save some money from the first wedding for the 2nd one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area