Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 02:20 PM

3,601 posts, read 4,391,961 times

Advertisements

http://www.change.org/petitions/mayo...mount-pleasant

Seems the masses want that Costco...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 02:21 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,073,520 times
Masses? Only 38 people signed it.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:55 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,061,748 times
It's up to 41 now.

I wonder if any petition to bring something to a location ever actually works? Costco is good about listening to customers about offering products inside the stores, etc, but I can't picture them having 2 stores that close together. They also have a store in Myrtle Beach.

We need a BJ's to complete the trifecta of warehouse stores!

Old 07-16-2014, 04:43 PM

Close together? One trip to Costco is an hour in driving time on a good day. We shop less there due to the distance. The Spartanburg and Greenville stores are actually closer.

Yea, maybe masses was a bit much... But its a start. My wife pointed it out.. And I'll admit I thought wow, I'm not alone.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:59 PM

I readily admit I am not a fan of box stores or the increase of them. When we moved here many many moons ago, Mt Pleasant was well, pleasant, and small. Now, I'm selling to get out to the country where I can get enough land to ensure some peace and quiet. Ah well, I'll leave the build up of Mt Pleasant to the hordes of transplants that seem to come here in greater and greater numbers every year. I know some people will eschew my comment as being anti-progress. I'm okay with that because sometimes I think progress, especially when it involves an increasing number of subdivisions and large box stores, is a negative to an area.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:24 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,509,697 times
Never understood the "Charleston cant have two Costco" argument. GSP has 2, dont see how Charleston cant support it, especially given the geography of Charleston.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:30 PM

Successful places grow. The choices are to allow them to grow and manage it, or sit on it and it becomes a place only the very rich can afford.

The people are here. Doesn't really matter where they came from. Now that they are here the demands for shopping and recreation typically follow. We're one of the top cities in the state and to much of our revenue is tied up in real estate. We need more business and allowing a Costco to come in doesn't mean every other big box store gets to come in too. It's not an all or nothing situation.

Putting a Costco on this land is better than more housing and generates the same if not less traffic.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:52 PM

14,303 posts, read 14,909,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I readily admit I am not a fan of box stores or the increase of them. When we moved here many many moons ago, Mt Pleasant was well, pleasant, and small. Now, I'm selling to get out to the country where I can get enough land to ensure some peace and quiet. Ah well, I'll leave the build up of Mt Pleasant to the hordes of transplants that seem to come here in greater and greater numbers every year. I know some people will eschew my comment as being anti-progress. I'm okay with that because sometimes I think progress, especially when it involves an increasing number of subdivisions and large box stores, is a negative to an area.

You poor little Darlin. Bless your heart. Remember that Southern Ladies do no sweat. They glisten.

Last figures I saw said over 70% of all people moving to MTP were moving there from another town in SC. Do you consider them "transplants"?

Old 07-16-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
You poor little Darlin. Bless your heart. Remember that Southern Ladies do no sweat. They glisten.

Last figures I saw said over 70% of all people moving to MTP were moving there from another town in SC. Do you consider them "transplants"?
Wow, so much snark. Look, I'm leaving Mt Pleasant and going to the country because I know they won't stop coming. To me, that's the solution. Do I lament what's become of the place I once enjoyed so much? Sure. But it's coming whether I want it to or not. Thus, I am choosing to move on. Was your response, especially with that much obvious and outright rudeness, really warranted?

Old 07-16-2014, 06:04 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,679,545 times
Name:  yioey66oT.gif
Views: 779
Size:  20.6 KB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area