Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 02:50 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
I'm a former "non-conformist" zoning board member and strident historic preservationist, but can't imagine preserving an old crappy Kmart or strip mall. They were never examples of good architecture and were poorly constructed to begin with. This whole country is filled with those abandoned ghosts of the 70s, 80s, 90s,... that were erected prior to any thought of responsible planning, concern with aesthetics or surrounding environment. Yes, they probably fit a need at the time, but were an eyesore when they were built, and are abandoned eyesores with crumbling parking lots now.
If an area is still currently zoned for that type of commercial business, knock the old things down and build something that's an improvement on the past.
The best scenario is that a town has learned from prior mistakes, and now has ordinances regarding architectural and environmental standards that are appropriate for within its boundaries.
I think you said it better than I. It's why I am in favor of utilizing these old eyesore strip malls. Yes, make it more attractive by redoing it. Still doesn't mean I'm in favor of building a lot of huge, new big box stores. To me, it's two different issues. Ultimately, it's a matter of balance. But like you said, those ugly strip mall type places were there before people thought about or cared about responsible planning. Better to reuse and revitalize those than let them sit there looking terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 03:11 PM

39 posts, read 62,288 times
Mt. Pleasant isn't getting a Costco. There isn't a large enough population in the metro area to support a second one.

When people say "smart growth" that's code for no growth or the zoning is so narrowly defined that there will be no growth.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:15 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,727 times
Gotcha, southbel.
But what always must be considered is, if it is built... Will they come? They must have reason to do so.

When you hope to plan non-big box retail group on the outskirts of any place, there must be:
1) A semi-related group of businesses that can attract and retain common customers.
2) A critical mass of businesses investing in that location that can offer unique reason to spend time and money there.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post

When people say "smart growth" that's code for no growth or the zoning is so narrowly defined that there will be no growth.
I respectfully disagree with you on this.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:38 PM

Mt. Pleasant needs these hated "big box" stores for the tax base (it also wouldn't hurt to have a few Boeing suppliers either). You can't pay the bills on homes and apartments or these little mom and pop businesses that gouge the consumer.

There is way too much small town thinking here.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:49 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,357,350 times
There may not be the population base, and I'm ok if that's the company line, but I don't want them willing to place a store here to meet an unreasonable resistance from a few people concerned about NIMBY or insisting that MtP stay the way it was 20 years ago.

If you look at the GIS tool, you'll find both Walmarts in MtP land includes the store and all the parking around it in its parcel. You will note how the parcel is split on the Sams property. The bottom line is the warehouse store is almost equivalent to your current Walmart supercenter.

Kenny is correct though, its poor tax diversification to rely on residential and small revenue based businesses.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:51 PM

Just my opinion but... Believing that big boxes can change things is the ultimate in small town thinking.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
Just my opinion but... Believing that big boxes can change things is the ultimate in small town thinking.
The goal is to diversify the tax base. Big box stores are one way to do that. Small town thinking is keeping everything the same which it what a lot of the natives and some transplants want. It's never going to be like it was in 1975.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:02 PM

And how are big boxes "diversifying" the tax base, whatever that means?

Old 07-21-2014, 05:20 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
The goal is to diversify the tax base. Big box stores are one way to do that. Small town thinking is keeping everything the same which it what a lot of the natives and some transplants want. It's never going to be like it was in 1975.
Studies do not back you up. Here is a nice list of several studies on the issue, if you're interested.

Key Studies on Big-Box Retail & Independent Business | Institute for Local Self-Reliance

It's one thing to say, as some had said on here, they want X, Y, or Z business in the Mt P area because they like the product offered. It's another to claim that big box stores improve local economies. Point of fact, studies have shown they actually hurt local economies for multiple reasons including overall wages, the tax base growth, and the overall increase of funding to the local economy. Big box stores, in essence, take more than they give to the communities where they reside.

While I may not agree, I cannot at least understand the justification by those who appreciate and/or want a product certain big box stores offer. However, your statements are patently false and thus, I feel the need to show them as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area