Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 06:37 PM

2,315 posts, read 2,965,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
I'm not saying things should or shouldn't be a certain way. I'm just saying that if you want to turn all our local treasures into a 5 story parking deck, shopping monstrosity because you want property values to go up, you should be aware that there is a price to pay. That's all I'm saying. In the meantime, enjoy the variety that comes with local flavor while you can.
it's 4 stories, bottom 2 are a garage top 2 are offices. in exchange for that the area gets plenty of parking for local businesses and doesn't do anything to Shem Creek seeing as it's not right on Shem Creek, it's on the opposite side of the lot from the restaurants right on the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 08:37 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,323,241 times
Yeah, I'm not sure what the big deal is about the garage. The parking lot is already an atrocity as is.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:44 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,246,637 times
It's just about the direction the area is going. No the parking lot, per se.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:09 PM

How is one development in the last 5 years a change in direction? What else is there?

Old 07-19-2014, 10:20 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,246,637 times
There's the parking deck. But also the decline of Shem Creek as a historic fishing village. And the inevitable "Coleman Redevelopment" efforts that are creeping up that way. Again, I'm not saying I think things should or shouldn't be a certain way. Just saying be careful what you wish for.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
There's the parking deck. But also the decline of Shem Creek as a historic fishing village. And the inevitable "Coleman Redevelopment" efforts that are creeping up that way. Again, I'm not saying I think things should or shouldn't be a certain way. Just saying be careful what you wish for.
So you mention the parking deck, but then a generic statement about the decline of an area. Shrimpers not turning a profit is different than concrete developments. Other than up Coleman, I'm not sure what else there is.

There are developments of housing at the northeastern edge of Old Village, but these are practically in a remote area of old Village, I'm not sure why people care. Then there is the Boulevard, but tbh, look across the street behind the plaza. There are just as many 3-story+ townhomes going up and nobody seems to notice. I had the privilege of driving back on Broadway St. in MtP the other day, leaving Coleman Public House. Here is a perfect example of an area that needs to be bulldozed and new nice apartments raised. What's wrong with erasing trash and putting up nice new developments where necessary?

People are coming. It's inevitable. You cannot block that from happening. How you deal with it is the real question.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:17 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,671,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
So you mention the parking deck, but then a generic statement about the decline of an area. Shrimpers not turning a profit is different than concrete developments. Other than up Coleman, I'm not sure what else there is.

There are developments of housing at the northeastern edge of Old Village, but these are practically in a remote area of old Village, I'm not sure why people care. Then there is the Boulevard, but tbh, look across the street behind the plaza. There are just as many 3-story+ townhomes going up and nobody seems to notice. I had the privilege of driving back on Broadway St. in MtP the other day, leaving Coleman Public House. Here is a perfect example of an area that needs to be bulldozed and new nice apartments raised. What's wrong with erasing trash and putting up nice new developments where necessary?

People are coming. It's inevitable. You cannot block that from happening. How you deal with it is the real question.

and get ready for NoMo on the Peninsula
http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...PC16/140719923

Last edited by Chs2014; 07-19-2014 at 11:26 PM..

Old 07-19-2014, 11:26 PM

2,315 posts, read 2,965,934 times
As far as the boulevard goes they recently gave out the permits needed to build part 2, which will have enough free parking for boulevard residents to avoid them parking on the street.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:44 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,044,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
So what your saying is market costs have risen and he was unable to continue in business. Because of that foreign competition has walked in. Hasn't that been the case for many industries in our country?
I was thinking the same thing. Industries come and go and we're now in a global market for everything from cars to phones to shrimp.
While you hate to see someone lose their livelihood and one that has a romantic, nostalgic local history, it's also a survival of the fittest argument. How long has the local shrimping industry been heading downhill financially and what were these guys doing to prepare?

What impacts one industry negatively (local shrimping) benefits another (local restaurants). It might also improve the overall recreational/guided fishing industry in that if there are more breeding shrimp in the local waters, that's more food for the fish, etc, etc, etc.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
How long has the local shrimping industry been heading downhill financially and what were these guys doing to prepare?
Agreed. The lack of insurance stuff just blows my mind whenever I think about it. Just seems like second nature to me to have that. It's like someone living in a hurricane area and not having named storm insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area