Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 07:11 PM

6 posts, read 7,050 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'd like suggestions on where to host our wedding. I want the wedding and reception to be in the same spot or at least close. Also would like it indoors. Preferably full service (offers everything from table and chair rentals, to linens and catering supplies). I'd provide the catering.

Budget is 1500. Is that reasonable?

Probably sits 100 or less.

I'll take any and all suggestion as long as its not way outside the budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 08:08 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,671,164 times
I think you're outta your mind...$1500 for 100 people?

FYI...a chair rental place charges 2.50 a chair.. Let's say you have 100 guests...Already at $250. You just lost close to 20% of your budget just on chair rentals...

Old 07-19-2014, 08:40 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,323,241 times
Just elope. Marriage is more about what happens in it than how it starts.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:31 PM

117 posts, read 270,826 times
Are you saying that the budget for venue rental is $1500 and you are planning to bring in an outside caterer whose cost is not factored in that $1500? So you are budgeting additionally for food, flowers, clothes, music and photographer?

If you belong to a church, you could have the ceremony in the sanctuary followed a simple reception in the parish hall. Most have tables, chairs (nothing fancy) and a kitchen.

You could get married at the courthouse and have immediate family and close friends to a wedding luncheon at a nearby restaurant.

You could check out local Knights of Columbus halls, fraternal lodges etc.

There are many ways to have a wedding without being extravagant but until we know more about what it is that you are planning we can only give some general advice.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:24 AM

6 posts, read 7,050 times
Ok...let me approach this more broadly. Here is what I wanted to do. Preferably keep it indoors. Def want to get married at a church/chapel. Want the reception to be near by. Also indoors. It would be April time. I don't mind paying extra if more stuff is included with the reception place.

Is 15-20k achievable with everything for about 100 people?

Old 07-20-2014, 01:19 PM

117 posts, read 270,826 times
Well, I'm not a wedding planner but my son and his bride planned and paid for their own wedding in Los Angeles and kept their budget at around $20K. They had their ceremony at the Catholic church she was raised in and the reception was at a golf course banquet room in Arcadia. Her brother's gift was the photographer. The godmother's gift was the wedding dress. Instead of renting a limousine for 10 hours the bride's father rented a Lincoln Town car and he drove the bride to the church and bride and groom to the reception. Most importantly, they chose a seated dinner with the venue's chef cooking it at $21/person and had 125 people. The banquet room was lovely but dated. They chose NOT to pay for the expensive chairs at the tables or the draping around the chairs. No one noticed or cared. The food was good but not great...no one cared. They chose to have a cash bar and that was fine. My husband and I paid for hors doevres (sp) as their wedding gift and we threw the rehearsal dinner.

You can have a nice wedding for $20K but it won't have all the over the top details that you see on TV. If you are surrounded by people who love you, that's all that matters.

Most churches require you to be a member before you can get married in their sanctuary-keep that in mind.

So first get the site of the wedding then look at halls/restaurants that can accommodate 100 people. Restaurants would want to provide the food but most community halls have kitchens that can accommodate an outside caterer. Keep your menu simple. Go to Yelp.com and search for wedding venues in your home town. Click on the websites of the ones that look interesting..most will post fees/menus/what it includes etc. Call or go visit each one to get a feel for the place. Alcoholic beverages add thousands to the budget-opt for a cash bar. For those who say it's tacky, I say the newlyweds should not have to start married life in debt for their wedding. Offer what you can afford. Those who love you will not fuss.

You do NOT have to spend thousands for a pretty wedding dress no matter what Kleinfelds says. My daughter-in-law got hers at Alfred Angelo on sale for $800. It was a style from a previous year but no one knew that-she looked gorgeous!

You can often get a great deal from a wedding venue by having the reception any day other than Saturday. And luncheons are less expensive than dinners.

Good luck and I'd love to hear what you find when you start your search.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:34 PM

657 posts, read 739,923 times
Charleston yacht club is reasonable if you want to provide your own catering and booze. We just got married there two weeks ago. They have tables and chairs for over 100 people. We had to rent the deck for $600 for ceremony but if you have it in a church you'd be find. $15-20k is doable in Charleston, but not easy. If you want a bar service, Mix was the most reasonable option we found, and were very good. Cake place sucked, catering was $28 a person and can't complain.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:09 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,426,348 times
Google... Charleston Weddings ... a mag ... source of all kinds of wedding planning info in Charleston... venues .. caterers dresses ..flowers...etc.... all price ranges

Old 07-20-2014, 04:45 PM

103 posts, read 218,199 times
I am a wedding videographer and frequent many, many local venues. The only place I know of that might fall within your budget and what you are looking for is Edisto Hall inside of James Island County Park.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:12 PM

469 posts, read 892,087 times
Budget is 15 thousand or 15 hundred? First post says 1500, but later on, I see 15K used. I know it says 1500 for venue, but if 15k is the budget, that's an awfully small percentage for the venue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area