Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 12:44 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,881 times

Advertisements

I Am A Social Worker In Alabama, And My Wife And I Are Considering Moving To The Myrtle Beach Or Charleston Area. Are There Any Social Workers On Here Who Can Tell Me About Their Experience In The Field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 07:43 AM

482 posts, read 280,057 times
Default Aren't there any Social Workers who read these threads?

The lack of response to this post scares me as I am also a social worker wanting to move to Charleston and eventually open a private practice - but I will need a full-time job for a few years. But are the jobs for us there? Are private practitioners successful in Charleston - do people even want therapy in Charleston?

FYI: I am a licensed masters level social worker currently providing services to the outpatient substance abuse community: running groups and doing 1-1 individual therapy. I have looked all over the web for jobs with very little luck, other than some appropriate positions at MUSC (working there would be great but what's the competition for the few jobs at MUSC?). In the last month Monster has not sent me even one job that fits my experience and education.

C'mon, there must be other social workers out there who can comment on the employment situation in Charleston for us!

Thanks in advance for any input.

J.

P.S. To the originator of this thread: there is no direct reciprocity for licenses for social workers with South Carolina. However, I contacted the state licensing board and was put in contact with Patti Glenn [email: GLENNP@llr.sc.gov]. She was able to advise me what license I need to have in place and how to go about getting a SC license -- she even called me several times!. (One more reason to move to Charleston: people actually respond to your inquiries. If I told you what I had to go through to get my license in New York you would just have to laugh - it was just so absurd and time-consuming.)

Old 12-30-2007, 01:44 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,881 times
Thanks for the advice. I am a master's level worker, with a focus on adult mental health services. I know there are agencies out there, but it is hard to really get a feel for it on the search engine sites. Even the NASW SC chapter couldn't offer much info. I will eventually move to either Myrtle Beach or Charleston, but like you I will need a job first. Good luck to you.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:09 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,121 times
There was an article in the Myrtle Beach paper a few days ago that they have recently added many new openings through the state's employment website, including social work. Wishing you luck!

http://www.ohr.sc.gov/OHR/OHR-jobs-portal-index.phtm

Old 01-12-2008, 03:17 PM

36 posts, read 167,654 times
My wife has a BS in social work and looked for a job a few years ago. We found that the amount of hours/stress/danger that comes along with most jobs at her level of education offer very little pay. A Master's seems to get you plenty in the field, but she favored working a retail position over a government job where you work longer hours, worse benefits, and lower pay. It may be that way everywhere, I'm not sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area