Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2006, 03:29 PM

16 posts, read 78,902 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am new to this disscussion board but have been reading a lot about South Carolina on it. I am 23 and single and so is my roommate and we are thinking about moving from Ohio. We are both very laid-back, go with the flow, type of people and think the slower pace of the south would suit us. We both want to get away from the grey of Ohio!

I am an elementary teacher and would be looking for jobs for fall of '07. Anyways, I was really just looking for some input onto moving to that area and areas that may be good for young people. I am pretty flexible with pricing, just want something fairly safe (although I know that people are responsible for keeping themselves that way) and near the beach and around others our age.

I know I have been reading a lot about the frustration of the "new comers" coming into the area and I wonder if that would be a problem for us?!

Any suggesstions would be great! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 08:38 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,478,176 times
aek, I'm 23 as well. Charleston is a great city for young people. It has the beach, great nightlife, several colleges, lots of boating-type recreation. There are tons of attractive single people there - it's basically a magnet for people who just graduated from college.

I'd recommend west of the Ashley, or James Island. Or maybe Mt. Pleasant. I think prices vary throughout these areas - but Charleston is not cheap. I'd go ahead and rule out living downtown. Finding a job is a moderate challenge (I wouldn't know about teachers), and the cost of living is high.

My brother lives there now, and as soon as I can find a job there, that's where I'll be. As far as fitting in goes, the area has all kinds of different people. College of Charleston, the Citadel and MUSC bring in people from all over the country, plus you have lots of tourists, and plenty of transplants from up north. There are surely southerners who won't like northerners, but generally you'd have to confront them about it to know.

anyway im rambling, but good luck.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 21,479 times
Thumbs up Great place to live!

I am also new to this discussion board. I agree that Charleston is a great place to live and not just because I have been here for 25 years!! I arrived here when I was 23, worked, raised a family and can't imagine living anywhere else, except for maybe closer to the water!!
I recently got into the real estate business and have ended up helping people just like you find rental housing while figuring out just where it is that they want to live. I would recommend you come for a visit, maybe in the winter, and take some time to get to know the city and what it has to offer. Besides, our winter is nothing compared to Ohio's, I'm sure. That alone might just convince you to move here!!
Also, I can send you a link to a website to learn more about the different school districts if you would like it. Just email me and let me know. There are several private schools, some magnet schools, a couple of charter schools and of course, public schools. We also have some alternative schools. You may find the wages are lower that other parts of the country, but the lifestyle here can't be beat. I can recommend some places for you to live where lots of young professionals currently live.
Please come for a visit and please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 19,766 times
Default RE: Thinking of Moving to Charleston Area!

Hi
My daughter left S/E Michigan to play volleyball for CSU, in Charleston SC, in 2000 and she hasn't been back "up north" to live since...she says she's happy to just visit the snow around Christmas time every year! After college, she lived on Comings St., downtown Charleston, for a while and now lives in Mt. Pleasant SC. I knew she was really a "grown up" when she called to say downtown was just too loud and "collegey" till all hours of the night and she was moving across the bridge!! I had to laugh...she is single and 24 now and loves the entire Charleston area. She does public relations (says she gets to party for a living and gets paid for it - can't complain about THAT) for a number of radio stations in the area and is having the time of her life! Best advice...visit in the middle of the summer to be sure you will REALLY like the weather! :-) How my "northern-born" girl has become a "southern-bell" so quickly I'll never know...but she loves the weather and the town...year-round!! Good luck and have a great day! LCCVB

Old 10-25-2006, 07:09 PM

16 posts, read 78,902 times
Default Thanks for the advice!

Thank you so much for all the input. Also, thank you for the street name LCCVB. I will have to look into that aswell. I have heard some good things about Mt.Pleasent aswell, and I am sure I will look there.

Scdawg, that website would be great. I am planning on visiting this Presidents weekend in Februrary. I would want to work in a public school, because I love how the system works more than a private one. Any advice would be great.

Have a great day!

Old 10-28-2006, 07:22 AM

8 posts, read 66,733 times
Smile Wando High in Mt. Pleasant

On the greatschools.com website, check out Wando High School and visit the school's website. You just might like what you see. Also, Summerville High School website, just 20 minutes from the busy Charleston area could be a source for you. You will fall in love with Charleston! She's a magnificent southern lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area