Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 02:03 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaofthedirt View Post
The James Island Expyallowed bikes until a driver knocked a bicyclist over the bridge and killed him. The city's solution: ban bicycles off of it.
Well the 1 lane being converted into a bicycle lane on the Ashley River bridge should help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 03:23 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,244,603 times
The more time that passes, the less crotchety and more accepting people will become to cyclists in Charleston. However, for now, the prevailing view is that you are an obstacle, if not a target. Welcome to the south.

There's always the bus.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:50 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,356,551 times
Again, drivers attitude is the roads are for cars, or at least those capable of the speed limit. If there's a bike lane, great.. If not, the person hampering the flow of traffic is considered the inconsiderate one. Right or wrong, that's what it is.

It doesn't help when you see bikers weave through stopped traffic, cross against the light, or any other observable things to circumvent traffic laws. If you want to be treated like a car, act like one. When I ride down town, I sit and wait with traffic just like everyone else.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,550 times
I have been living and bike commuting in North Charleston for 2.5 years now (mostly commuting along E & W Montague Ave) and I also bike downtown from time to time. I agree that the dominant attitude is that bikes are an inconvenience that preferably should stay off the road ("Use the sidewalk!"). Most locals just don't understand why anyone would want to ride a bicycle for transportation if you can afford a car. (Too sweaty, too slow, can't cross most local bridges, traffic is dangerous, etc.)

However, if you obey traffic laws and behave courteously toward other drivers, they will usually return the favor. I generally feel ok biking in downtown traffic, especially on the slower roads, but I also have my bike outfitted with flashing lights in every direction and have a loud air horn (AirZound) to get drivers' attention if needed. I feel less safe biking on more "suburban" roads away from the downtown core. I was actually hit by a pickup truck on West Montague Ave (near I-26) in North Charleston in July 2014 and had to have major wrist surgery and rehab (thankful to be alive!)... the driver simply wasn't paying enough attention. Other than that incident, I bike Montague daily and 99% of drivers are surprisingly courteous and patient; I've only been honked at a handful of times in 2.5 years, and many people give decent space when passing. I can't wait for bike lanes to be added though!

I have been advocating locally for more bike lanes ever since my collision with the truck last summer; progress has been slow but current leadership seems to support the idea. We'll see where things are in 5 years. Would love to see the West Ashley bridge (Legare bridge) bike lane conversion completed!

Old 09-23-2015, 08:11 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,521,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerDMC View Post
I have been living and bike commuting in North Charleston for 2.5 years now (mostly commuting along E & W Montague Ave) and I also bike downtown from time to time. I agree that the dominant attitude is that bikes are an inconvenience that preferably should stay off the road ("Use the sidewalk!"). Most locals just don't understand why anyone would want to ride a bicycle for transportation if you can afford a car. (Too sweaty, too slow, can't cross most local bridges, traffic is dangerous, etc.)

However, if you obey traffic laws and behave courteously toward other drivers, they will usually return the favor. I generally feel ok biking in downtown traffic, especially on the slower roads, but I also have my bike outfitted with flashing lights in every direction and have a loud air horn (AirZound) to get drivers' attention if needed. I feel less safe biking on more "suburban" roads away from the downtown core. I was actually hit by a pickup truck on West Montague Ave (near I-26) in North Charleston in July 2014 and had to have major wrist surgery and rehab (thankful to be alive!)... the driver simply wasn't paying enough attention. Other than that incident, I bike Montague daily and 99% of drivers are surprisingly courteous and patient; I've only been honked at a handful of times in 2.5 years, and many people give decent space when passing. I can't wait for bike lanes to be added though!

I have been advocating locally for more bike lanes ever since my collision with the truck last summer; progress has been slow but current leadership seems to support the idea. We'll see where things are in 5 years. Would love to see the West Ashley bridge (Legare bridge) bike lane conversion completed!

Are you a member of Charleston Moves? Superb organization!

Old 09-27-2015, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Are you a member of Charleston Moves? Superb organization!
Haha, yes I am! I'm very thankful for the good work they do.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:41 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,953 times
I work downtown and I have one co-worker that commutes by bike from West Ashley. He rides a beach cruiser to work. I just ride for fun around Mt. P. There is no way I would ride on the roads in Mt. P. We ride on the sidewalks and stop at crosslights for the walk signal. Years ago I used to ride a lot on the country roads in MA. There is too much traffic around here for me to ride on the roads. Although I would ride the roads downtown because the traffic is slow.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I work downtown and I have one co-worker that commutes by bike from West Ashley. He rides a beach cruiser to work. I just ride for fun around Mt. P. There is no way I would ride on the roads in Mt. P. We ride on the sidewalks and stop at crosslights for the walk signal. Years ago I used to ride a lot on the country roads in MA. There is too much traffic around here for me to ride on the roads. Although I would ride the roads downtown because the traffic is slow.
I get nervous too...I stick to the frontage roads and our neighborhood here in Mt. P.
Do you ever ride in Hampton Park?

Old 09-29-2015, 10:49 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I get nervous too...I stick to the frontage roads and our neighborhood here in Mt. P.
Do you ever ride in Hampton Park?
I only ride around where we live because I don't have a bike rack o my car and it is very expensive to get one, even after market bike racks. My car is too small to put 2 bikes in. We can fit one, but usually have to tak a tire off to get the hatch to close.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:02 AM

I understand....Patriots Point is a pretty place to ride too. We bought a bike rack at Trek, Saris brand it cost about $150.00 I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area