Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:30 PM

14 posts, read 115,798 times

Advertisements

This looks like a cute little neighborhood, but I realize looks can be deceiving (especially when just viewing online!) The houses look a little too close for comfort??
My husband and I love the style of the homes. It gives the "look" of living in the south and close to the beach. I know that may sound silly, but when we move, we desire a "feel" like we are close to the beach - does this make sense? Obviously, we can not afford to be close to the ocean on our budget... Perhaps a palm tree would be effective - lol. I am sure our future realtor will think we are nuts.

Are their other neighborhoods in the Summerville or surrounding towns that have that look? Price range would be $150,000 to $200,000.

Thank you so much for any input!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 02:48 PM

899 posts, read 3,490,417 times
Hi,
I understand the "Beach House away from the Beach". I won't think you're nuts at all, my house is full of beach stuff.

White Gables has it's own look & feel. You either love it or take a pass on it.
The houses ARE very close to each other, but thatis by design.

The communitiy is planned in such a way that people see each other on the porches & streets. The garages are in the rear of the house, accessed by it's own street. Garbage goes back there too.

Very small yards = very low maintenance. But there are open spaces throughout where people meet & play. Seems to me everyone has either small children or dogs. I know there are people who don't like the 'closeness', but I have yet to meet someone that doesn't love it there. Nice clubhouse, pool, play area.

In short I like it.

Now, $200K can get you something nice in there. Right now there are 52 active listings that range from $150K to $425K. There are some GREAT buys in the development.

Other developments with the same feel for $150K - $200K? Hmmm, that's a tough one.
jim

Old 01-20-2008, 04:27 PM

330 posts, read 1,196,622 times
Thanks for describing White Gables so well, Jim!

As a resident of the neighborhood, I also bought there because of the "beach" sort of feel. The pastel colors of the homes and the Charleston architecture help promote that type of feeling, even though we are actually about 25 miles from the beach. I've decorated my home in all white with a hint of yellow to keep that feeling going! So you're not crazy for wanting to find that type of feeling at all.

As for the closeness of the homes, Jim was right that it's purposely designed that way. It's considered New Urbanism design. We do have our garages in the back of our lots, accessed by alleys and we also have our mail delivered there. This helps to keep our street traffic to a minimum and helps keep our streets a bit safer for our kids to play around. We have a lot of young families with children! The streets are also narrower in another attempt to foster closeness between neighbors and encourage walking around the neighborhood.

I have to admit that I love living here. Even now, in the winter, I sit out on my front porch with a little throw and read a book while saying hello to my neighbors walking by with their dogs and the children who play on the Town Square grass in front of my home. This is exactly what I wished for when I moved from NJ.

It's not for everyone, but a drive through the neighborhood will usually let you know quickly if it's for you or not.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:41 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,471,350 times
to each their own but that neighborhood looks like it's out of place here, like after bulldozing down everything on the land someone squished a larger neighborhood together and parachuted it down in the wrong place... lol

like a mini-compressed area of downtown charleston maybe?

no offense but I couldn't live somewhere where I could spit in the guys window three doors down and everyone hears everything in your house from next door or farther

you definitely have to be looking for a place like that to want it, no maintenence makes for a good retirement home too I suppose... the neighborhood takes care of the lawn etc etc there I hear... extremely close quarters

if your looking for no maintenence because of a busy schedule this place would be perfect... and wanted to own instead of renting an apartment, but don't own any large vehicles or boats unless you have somewhere else to park them... I have both and a large shop that would take up more room than those houses do

but lots of people like being close like that so like I said, to each their own

that place just looks so out of place to me that I had to comment, no offense to others desires/opinions meant...

at 200,000 there's a lot of places closer to beach you can afford these days if that's what you are looking for, house prices are dropping so look around and make offers below the asking prices

Old 01-21-2008, 11:44 AM

to each their own but that neighborhood looks like it's out of place here,
like a mini-compressed area of downtown charleston maybe?

That's exactly the feel the developer was going for!

no offense but I couldn't live somewhere where I could spit in the guys window three doors down and everyone hears everything in your house from next door or farther

LOL I like your expressive way of describing it, but it's really not THAT bad!

you definitely have to be looking for a place like that to want it, no maintenence makes for a good retirement home too I suppose...

That's one reason retirees like it as well as busy families..

if your looking for no maintenence because of a busy schedule this place would be perfect... and wanted to own instead of renting an apartment

You may not realize it, but we have 3000 sq ft 5 bedroom homes here with 2 car garages and lots to suit large homes like that. Only the homes surrounding the Town Square and the Summerville Row homes have very narrow lots right next to one another..

but don't own any large vehicles or boats unless you have somewhere else to park them...

We have a secure, fenced storage area for boats, RVs and other large vehicles in the back of the subdivision..

I have both and a large shop that would take up more room than those houses do

LOL We have a 24'x24' garage w/attic that is converted into a workshop for my husband..You two would get along in that regard!

but lots of people like being close like that so like I said, to each their own
that place just looks so out of place to me that I had to comment, no offense to others desires/opinions meant...

Oh, no offense taken. I've said before that it's not for everyone, and it's true. Especially those who require more privacy or land to spread out on. But our residents that do live here like the closeness as it promotes socialization between us and has helped form a tight knit community.

at 200,000 there's a lot of places closer to beach you can afford these days if that's what you are looking for, house prices are dropping so look around and make offers below the asking prices

I definitely agree with you on that point. It's definitely a buyer's market out there right now and I would take a look at everything and anything in the entire Charleston area before making any kind of decision

Old 01-21-2008, 12:17 PM

122 posts, read 479,512 times
Hey this sounds good to me! I'm use to living in a more urban area and like having neighbors nearby.
What about flooding, hurricanes?
Can you have a veggie garden and a clothes line?
Nothing like eating a sun warm tomato and the scent of sun dried towels, linens!

Old 01-21-2008, 02:27 PM

267 posts, read 1,019,474 times
White Gables is a nice neighborhood and I really like the builder Saussy Burbank. They are a transparent builder that seems to do quality work and have strong customer service.

Sabal homes has a community in Eagle run that has nice traditional housing.

Centex also has traditional communities in Cane bay, Goose creek, and Mason Park in Weatherstone that might be up to your fancy.

If you are considering a traditional townhouse, Jessco has some amazing townhomes in Tranquil Hill with some great deals. They are another fantastic builder that really backs up what it sells and has great customer service.

If you decide on not going with the traditional look and opt for some other builders let me know and I will tell you of the ones to steer clear of. I had a bad experience with one in the Buckshire subdivision that builds nothing but McMansions. In my opinion they have evasive policies, poor customer service and workmanship that I personally question. Remember if the customer service seems bad now, what will it be like when you have problems with the house and they already have your money.

Also get a good Realtor. Find one who has their stuff together to steer you clear of such land mines and only deal with companies that have transparent construction polices such as allowing walk-thoughs, meetings with the builder and private phase inspections. Trust your gut. If it appears a builder has something to hide, it is because they do. Don't walk out of their office, run!

Last edited by NS_Highlander; 01-21-2008 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-21-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl3624 View Post
Hey this sounds good to me! I'm use to living in a more urban area and like having neighbors nearby.
What about flooding, hurricanes?
Can you have a veggie garden and a clothes line?
Nothing like eating a sun warm tomato and the scent of sun dried towels, linens!
I have good news and some bad news.

No, we're not in a flood zone so flooding isn't really an issue and you won't be forced to buy a flood policy. I have one anyway because I'd rather be safe than sorry.

As for hurricanes, we're still considered coastal even though we're about 25- 30 miles off the coast. We don't pay high premiums like Charleston or Mt Pleasant, but if the forecast called for a direct hit by a hurricane, we'd have to evacuate and I'm told there would be damage. Natives could answer this question much better than I though.

More bad news. I don't think the White Gables HOA allows a clothesline.

As far as a small garden, you'll be amazed by how well plants grow here and it makes up for the lost clothesline!

My next door's neighbor's veggie garden grew so well, he didn't know what to do with it all. Another plus for having neighbors close by- I had fresh veggies all spring and summer last year.

As for me, I started an herb garden, fully expecting my usual black thumb to kill everything, and I had basil, rosemary and thyme grow to about 5 ft high. My neighbors had plenty of herbs to go with their veggies.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:14 PM

14 posts, read 115,798 times
Thank you for the valuable information!!

I didn't realize White Gables was only 30 mins from the beach. I looked it up on mapquest and I was thinking it was more like an hour drive.

What are the downsides to living in White Gables that you have found?

Can you choose your own trees - we MUST have a palm tree!!

What are the HOA fees there?

It is strange because we currently live in a neighborhood that keeps to itself. It sounds somewhat appealing to get to know some neighbors and make some friends. Especially being in a new town and knowing noone!

It would be different sharing a swimming pool, we have our own now, but I guess we could get used to that - lol...

We have considered building as well. We will certainly try and find the "right" builder and any help would be appreciated if we go that route. It just seems so much easier to buy a home that is already built. Of course, you still want to purchase from a quality builder.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:38 PM

899 posts, read 3,490,417 times
It is easier to buy an existing new built than a custom build. We have some very good builders here that we trust that can customize a tract home for you. You'd be surprised how varied homes can be in the same subdivision if you have either a quality builder or preferably a number of quality builders.

JerseyGirl; what part of Jersey has clothes lines & vegetable gardens? I'd guess you're either way North or way South.

And I don't care what Google Earth says. It's 45 minutes to the beach, sometimes an hour.

Also, in White Gables, you're pretty safe from flooding & hurricanes. It's got to go through a lot of people before it gets to you. Heck, any storm would peter out after going through 'The Ponds'.
jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area