Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 09:00 AM

14 posts, read 21,680 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone and thanks for reading! We are considering a move to the Charleston area, specifically West Ashley. I will be working in that area and was interested in the board's thoughts on the city. We were looking at Summerville as well, but that could be a bit out of the way....I would love your thoughts and perspectives on any pro's and con's. For now, we may be renting a townhome, but would be looking for a house in the long term. Specifically, there is a townhome on Etiwan Avenue, in West Ashley if anyone knows of that area. Thank you VERY much for any insights here!!!!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 10:11 AM

12,891 posts, read 18,744,346 times
My spouse and I just moved to West Ashley a month ago. We're liking the location fine. It's an easy and quick drive to downtown. We're inside the Mark Clark Expressway (526).

Old 08-01-2015, 04:14 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,292 times
I live in West Ashley. I'm outside 526, which is where most of the newer development is, but it's still not far from downtown. It takes me about 20-30 minutes to get there depending on traffic and where I'm going downtown. It wouldn't take you as long from Etiwan Ave- probably only around 15-20 minutes from there. I feel like it's a safe area, but I feel like most of West Ashley is. Most of the crimes out here are things like car break-ins where the car was left unlocked, or teens vandalizing pools or playgrounds in their subdivisions.

If you lived in that townhome, you'd be right off Savannah Hwy, which goes straight to downtown, but also close to 526 (which takes you to I-26 and to North Charleston, also you can go to Daniel Island or North Mt. Pleasant that way). It's a pretty good location, and if you're going to be working in West Ashley, I wouldn't blame you to also live here. You're also close to Target, Costco, a few grocery stores, and some good restaurants.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:58 AM

14 posts, read 21,680 times
Thank you very much for the info, it's all appreciated!!

Old 08-02-2015, 08:30 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times
Badger,
I imagine you've searched the term "west ashley" here on the forum but if you haven't, do so and you'll find there's been a good bit of discussion about the area. There's a lot to like about WA and it looks like it has a bright future. If you give us an idea of what you're looking for and your budget, we might be able to suggest some specific neighborhoods.

Melrose (where Etiwan is) is not a bad neighborhood for the money.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:15 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,950,448 times
West Ashley is a good area, and Etiwan Ave is in a nice location. Lots of traffic on 17 though.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:39 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,091 times
It's also an absolutely huge area with tons of range in terms of niceness. That area in particular, I don't really know about.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:29 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,292 times
I also want to add that if you work in West Ashley, you may want to live in West Ashley, at least if you are considering things purely from a location perspective.

I love Summerville and think it's a great place, especially for families, but the commute could be a beast. West Ashley has its fair share of traffic issues just like everywhere, but Hwy 61 from Summerville to West Ashley can get REALLY backed up in the mornings. The road is only two lanes and if there is a wreck, it is crazy.

It's not an issue if your job hours mean an off-peak commute. Also, if you have kids and are looking at schools, Summerville's schools are ahead of West Ashley. Housing prices are a little cheaper in Summerville too, although not too much, and the drive to work each day might eat up the savings.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:50 PM

12,891 posts, read 18,744,346 times
We're still pleased with living and working in West Ashley with the quick drive to the peninsula. West Ashley is about to get a lot better.

Citadel Mall tops list for mayor's changes in West Ashley - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Old 01-15-2016, 09:06 PM

204 posts, read 184,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post
I also want to add that if you work in West Ashley, you may want to live in West Ashley, at least if you are considering things purely from a location perspective.
I totally second this. If you live and work in West Ashley, you'll save probably an hour or more of commute time every day. If you really want to avoid W.A.'s traffic snarls, live where you have a reverse commute, if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area