Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 06:23 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
We're still pleased with living and working in West Ashley with the quick drive to the peninsula. West Ashley is about to get a lot better.

Citadel Mall tops list for mayor's changes in West Ashley - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports
And I totally second this. West Ashley is just beginning to boom and with the new mayor's focus on it, I'm expecting huge and rapid positive changes. There's so much potential there especially in the close-in areas that it's just silly that it's been ignored for so long. I'll be surprised if we're not hearing at least one Trader Joes/Whole Food/Lucky's Market type announcement very soon. That will be like fat lighter on a fire.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 07:10 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Yes if your work is going to be on that side of town -- that's where you want to be.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:00 AM

268 posts, read 281,114 times
I live in Summerville and I can't wait until Citadel is revitalized.

It has the chance to be just like Columbiana and the big mall in Greenville.

Maybe some area exclusives too. So much promise out there.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:13 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,043 times
I would not count on a reverse commute helping you any once you get beyond 526. 61 is simply a cluster*** and since it has so few release points many people have to cross it simply to exit neighborhoods.

I hope Citadel improves. I never really pay much attention to the interior but at Christmas it really struck me how much it has fallen off. When I went specifically to buy from Palmetto Moon & one of the other interior stores it felt barren. The funny thing is its a big enough site I imagine you could build Town Center in its parking lot.

Also look for the schools to improve pretty notably. I firmly believe that contrary to all our best intentions 'content in, content out' is still painfully true in education. As that Bees Ferry area booms with transplants and the close in area sees more people using the public schools I think the perception of the schools will vastly improve. There are already about 4 or 5 elementary schools that are more than holding their own. Once the MS & HS reach a tipping point it will become much more attractive for families.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:53 PM

12,891 posts, read 18,744,346 times
I work next to Citadel Mall, and at Christmas the traffic in and out of the mall was a true pain.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:14 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post
I also want to add that if you work in West Ashley, you may want to live in West Ashley, at least if you are considering things purely from a location perspective.

I love Summerville and think it's a great place, especially for families, but the commute could be a beast. West Ashley has its fair share of traffic issues just like everywhere, but Hwy 61 from Summerville to West Ashley can get REALLY backed up in the mornings. The road is only two lanes and if there is a wreck, it is crazy.

It's not an issue if your job hours mean an off-peak commute. Also, if you have kids and are looking at schools, Summerville's schools are ahead of West Ashley. Housing prices are a little cheaper in Summerville too, although not too much, and the drive to work each day might eat up the savings.
Yeah PP07 hit the nail on the head. I've been living WA for years and love it.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:08 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I would not count on a reverse commute helping you any once you get beyond 526. 61 is simply a cluster*** and since it has so few release points many people have to cross it simply to exit neighborhoods.

I hope Citadel improves. I never really pay much attention to the interior but at Christmas it really struck me how much it has fallen off. When I went specifically to buy from Palmetto Moon & one of the other interior stores it felt barren. The funny thing is its a big enough site I imagine you could build Town Center in its parking lot.

Also look for the schools to improve pretty notably. I firmly believe that contrary to all our best intentions 'content in, content out' is still painfully true in education. As that Bees Ferry area booms with transplants and the close in area sees more people using the public schools I think the perception of the schools will vastly improve. There are already about 4 or 5 elementary schools that are more than holding their own. Once the MS & HS reach a tipping point it will become much more attractive for families.
Drayton Hall Elementary has an excellent reputation, as do Orange Grove and Ashley River Creative Arts. In the 3.5 years I've lived out here, WAHS reputation seems to have improved a lot, especially with the new principal.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:28 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinatic8u View Post
I live in Summerville and I can't wait until Citadel is revitalized.

It has the chance to be just like Columbiana and the big mall in Greenville.

Maybe some area exclusives too. So much promise out there.
Citadel Mall, yep can't wait. Just hope like the devil our model railroad club can survive the redevlopement. They were kind enougn to offer us space as the mall started to go down hill because we didn't have a place to set up, but we think if and when the mall becomes succesful again we maynot be able to afford the rent. If you haven't paid a visit, please come and see it. It's right next to Dillard's, free of course and we don't sell anything. It's a club and we enjoy having kids or anyone for that matter, looking at our displays, as long as you don't touch. (smile) May break something.
With kids so much into computers these days you'd be surprised how many kids come in and see a model railroad for their first time. And the adults who come in and remnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area